PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Cherub721
10-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Pani can you translate this article or someone else that understands Russian: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/5813.html. Apparently its Igor trashing Tessa and Scott, why would he do this :(. (Well I know why, but still). Thanks for the pics Misha they're all amazing!

I only looked at it through google translate, but I don't think it's that bad:
-He thinks V&M should have gotten a time deduction on the SD lift (I was surprised they didn't, and of course he would've preferred this so C&L could be first)
-Carmen is great music and both FDs are different (agreed)
-Some judges he spoke to preferred C&L's version (of course he has to support the version that he choreographed)
-V&M were not in their best condition (we all agree), but he can't comment on it because he's not their coach so he doesn't know how prepared they were (valid comment).

Shayii
10-28-2012, 03:34 PM
Well this is what Lizy Fuzalova said he said on the fb page:

Just read a Russian article interviewing Igor and he had some questions including TS. First, he said that TS were actually overscored for their SD because they went long on a lift and didn't get a deduction. Then, he didn't confirm or deny that he didn't know TS were skating to Carmen when CL made the music choice, but he said they won't be changing the FD, and he also said that he got feedback from judges and most of them preferred Anna and Luca's to TS's based on composition, arrangement and dramatization (I'm sorry - but come on!). Lastly, he was asked about what he thought of TS's first showing of their programs, and he just said that you can tell that they're not in perfect condition, but he can't say why because he didn't prepare or train them for the season, and he doesn't even know how they've been training for the season.

Puglover congrats on your daughter!

IoanaC
10-28-2012, 03:45 PM
The classy thing to do would have been not to comment at all on Tessa and Scott, which he trained and was close to for so long. I guess it's too much to expect in the politikal world of figure skating.

walei
10-28-2012, 03:46 PM
Like many people here I just watched the FD AGAIN :lol:

This time it strikes me how effective their twizzle sequence is with that climax note at the end. They can't miss even half of a beat because they need to do that hand cross over their head gesture right out of their last set to the music. Time to go watch again.

iggie
10-28-2012, 03:52 PM
Like many people here I just watched the FD AGAIN :lol:

This time it strikes me how effective their twizzle sequence is with that climax note at the end. They can't miss even half of a beat because they need to do that hand cross over their head gesture right out of their last set to the music. Time to go watch again.

normally skaters accentuate the music with moves and that happens here...

- when scott kicks and it matches that really big beat, it's like he caused it
- tessa moving her shoulders to the snaps of the beat at the beginning

but your post reminded me that they also skate in a way that accentuates the end of the musical phrases

- the note is hanging, waivering while they get ready to do the lift and the lift actually happens when that phrasing is over and there is no music (the one where she is straight up and down before the rotational). then when the rotational starts, the music is back.
- as you mention, the twizzles are set to highlight the music but only at the end. the twizzles get music music that's just building and bulding and it's the ending of the twizzles that gets accentuated.

that's rather innovative

kosjenka
10-28-2012, 03:56 PM
The classy thing to do would have been not to comment at all on Tessa and Scott

Probably.
But it would be boring as hell.

My main concern with T&S SD is that it is waltz program and polka section is barely noticeable. While I LOVE waltzing performed by T&S, I am worried that the judges will not be happy with this even when it is skated to the best of their abilities and when they are in top shape.

iggie
10-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Probably.

My main concern with T&S SD is that it is waltz program and polka section is barely noticeable. While I LOVE waltzing performed by T&S, I am worried that the judges will not be happy with this even when it is skated to the best of their abilities and when they are in top shape.

isn't the only polka they need to incorporate the yankee polka? otherwise, it's not like they have to keep skating a polka and if they want to make their polka look elegant, fine.

Cherub721
10-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Probably.

I don't know, if they could accept DomShabs doing a 1920s Soviet Waltz while everyone else was doing charlestons and etc, I don't think it will be a problem. Like DomShabs, V&M are technically within the rules, so it should be fine. the rules only say they have to do a polka somewhere in there, there's no percentage of the program that has to have a polka feel, and there's a lot of variety with skaters using country, ballet, and folk music. V&M's doesn't stand out as being out of place to me.

BTW, would it be sacrilegious for me to say I think I prefer "And the Waltz Goes On" to "Carmen" so far? :shuffle:

IoanaC
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
BTW, would it be sacrilegious for me to say I think I prefer "And the Waltz Goes On" to "Carmen" so far? :shuffle:

Really? I was under the impression you were just as mesmerized as most of us.:)

iggie
10-28-2012, 04:04 PM
i really want the director for all the cameras to sit down and figure out the best camera angles to show us the carmen free. for example, he knows the ending now so maybe when v/m end, he can use the camera that's looking at them straight on, not from the side. maybe zoom in to tessa's face, getting the look in her eyes, not zooming out.

kosjenka
10-28-2012, 04:13 PM
I hope they dont have problems with the judges with their short dance.
I was hoping for more polka-ish program if only just for the kicks ;)

puglover
10-28-2012, 04:14 PM
Thanks so much for the congrats Shayii - I have found FSU disturbing of late - just too many hurtful things said and this saddens me. I have always loved to come to FSU to grow and learn more about the aspects of skating I don't know as well. I love this thread and feel comfortable posting here. And - I love Tessa and Scott. Also, a big thanks for those who break down the dance step requirements, and patterns, etc. That is so helpful.

manhn
10-28-2012, 04:18 PM
FSU nowadays is like The Hannah Montana Show compared to what it was during the G&P/K&O/B&K/L&A/F-P&M/D&V/A&P days. Vicious.

Scrufflet
10-28-2012, 04:32 PM
FSU nowadays is like The Hannah Montana Show compared to what it was during the G&P/K&O/B&K/L&A/F-P&M/D&V/A&P days. Vicious.

That shocks me. I wasn't on board then but I think it is incredibly vicious now. And it is exhausting just trying to push for civil discourse here. I'm being careful this year about the threads I visit. We've had so much attention focussed on bullying in our culture lately and it flourishes here. I wouldn't be a moderator for anything. Good luck to them in trying to do a really difficult job.
In the meantime, I am going to enjoy the work of all of these fine teams. Uber threads really serve a useful purpose!

Macassar88
10-28-2012, 04:33 PM
Pani can you translate this article or someone else that understands Russian: http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/5813.html. Apparently its Igor trashing Tessa and Scott, why would he do this :(. (Well I know why, but still). Thanks for the pics Misha they're all amazing!

He said that Tessa and Scott's SD lift was too long. Also that the judges prefer CL's Carmen (he has to say that since he made it). He also says that Tessa and Scott aren't in good form this year but he doesn't really care since they aren't his students.