PDA

View Full Version : Virtue and Moir #21 - Carry On as the Waltz Goes On

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68

Golightly
10-27-2012, 04:04 AM
That lift is changeable, I think. But I'm more concerned about the step sequence and the polka patterns. But Pani is totally right, better now than at Worlds.

maggylyn
10-27-2012, 04:04 AM
The SD is now up on TSN for those of you in Canada to rewatch and see if you can see if there are obvious problems on twizzles or SS on replay.

Any chance of getting it on youtube soon?

Lissa
10-27-2012, 04:06 AM
Sorry did not mean to upset anyone, just pointing out the obvious, I agree the lift was bad & the hit at the start was not a good way to begin this program but was that life really so bad the ended up tied practically with the 6th ranked team in the world?
Something is off imo, the judges here must have been watching a different program than me:confused:

Golightly
10-27-2012, 04:07 AM
I think you were watching a different program. It had issues, I am not sure if bad enough to get those low levels, but there were certainly issues. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Lissa
10-27-2012, 04:08 AM
After looking at the protocols, Scott was right he expects his Short Dance to be as much as 10 points higher then what it was today, so there were quite a few deductions to those elements. That lift being the key one since it was givin a 1 rating. Most if not all of their deductions happenned on the technical side. All of that can be fixed and corrected. I think this isn't too uncommon for Virtue/Moir to have these slow starts, but usually they have a pro-am event they can fine tune their programs before they hit the grand prix circuit. Sadly they had to withdraw from the Finlandia trophy which they could of used that competition to fine tune and tweak their program. So Skate Canada ended up being their first show competition and we see they need to do some tweaks. Not too surprising and people shouldn't panic about the low points of the Short Dance today.

Skate Canada hasn't been an exactly stellar showing for all 4 disiplines with huge falls in the Ladies and Men's programs. Doing it well in practice is one thing, doing it in competition day is another so there is some rust. I just wish we could have a season where skaters can skate all season long and build points throughout the year instead they have 2 events they need to score points in for the Final and then you go to the 4 continents then Worlds. Really not enough high level competitions in my opinion.

I do have some high hopes for their Free Dance, despite the problems in the Short Dance, I think tommorrow they will come out and hit it and surprise us since we did not see all their lifts, did not see all the step sequences to their new Free Dance. To me that will be the highlight of the Dance competition.

Well this makes me feel a bit better.

Lissa
10-27-2012, 04:10 AM
I think you were watching a different program. It had issues, I am not sure if bad enough to get those low levels, but there were certainly issues. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

Oh I agree it was not the best & there were issues I just do not believe they should be tied with the Italians, the quality of their skating alone & some of the levels should have been higher. Why they were hammered on a lift I totally understand but losing so many other points, no idea...

Proustable
10-27-2012, 04:10 AM
I'm most concerned about the straightline step as well. The polka.... they just need to drill it even if they hate it. The twizzles and lift will be easy fixes, imo.

I'll lower my expectations tomorrow, though. And yes, I'm worried about the consequences of Igor leaving.

Lissa
10-27-2012, 04:14 AM
Here is what Scott said to the media aftewards.....

Virtue, wearing a gauzy teal dress, and Moir, in a smart blue jacket and slacks, lost major marks for a messy lift -- the same one that kept Virtue and Moir out of a competition earlier this month in Finland when Moir injured his neck.

"It just didn't go as well as we'd been practising it," Moir said. "The transition wasn't very smooth and sometimes when you put a lift at two minutes and 45 seconds, that's the risk you take. It hasn't been like that at practice but it is a lift we've been thinking of changing anyways. It'll be interesting to see how much longer that lift lives."

shsocu
10-27-2012, 04:16 AM
V/M SD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7lAs6Lze-0&feature=g-all-u)

sap5
10-27-2012, 04:17 AM
V/M SD: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7lAs6Lze-0&feature=g-all-u

Cherub721
10-27-2012, 04:18 AM
I thought the program was stunning! Does anyone know the storyline - something about a troubled girl in a village? Is he supposed to be a royal?

For the life of me, I do not see where he hit her :confused:

I like the concept of the lift, but I was cringing for his neck.... and he looks really sweaty and out of breath in the TSN interview. Tessa looks calm as a cucumber. It can be harder on the partner who injures the other than it is for the injured... plus I think he takes the scores harder than she does.

IoanaC
10-27-2012, 04:21 AM
The link above is geoblocked. TSN is not. The video is on the right side of the screen.

http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/

Cherub, I don't see when he hit her either.
I don't think Tessa takes the scores lighter, she's just more reserved and keeps her cool better.

Shayii
10-27-2012, 04:24 AM
I thought the program was stunning! Does anyone know the storyline - something about a troubled girl in a village? Is he supposed to be a royal?

For the life of me, I do not see where he hit her :confused:

I like the concept of the lift, but I was cringing for his neck.... and he looks really sweaty and out of breath in the TSN interview. Tessa looks calm as a cucumber. It can be harder on the partner who injures the other than it is for the injured... plus I think he takes the scores harder than she does.

I don't see where Scott hit her either.

ddtpdx
10-27-2012, 04:26 AM
The hit can only be seen from a specific angle (they showed it from that angle during the live telecast after Scott noted that he had hit Tessa in the first 3 sec of the program).

zubs00
10-27-2012, 04:27 AM
The link above is geoblocked. TSN is not. The video is on the right side of the screen.

http://www.tsn.ca/figure_skating/

Cherub, I don't see when he hit her either.
I don't think Tessa takes the scores lighter, she's just more reserved and keeps her cool better.

You can't see it from the camera angle that was shown in the video. The TSN coverage showed it after from a different angle and you could see it. It's at the very beginning, literally like 2 seconds into the program. But the way she tilts her head in the move makes its really hard to notice.