PDA

View Full Version : NYC accomodation

Pages : [1] 2

ballettmaus
10-24-2012, 08:08 PM
I've got a friend who plans to visit New York/Manhattan next year with her sister. She asked me if I knew a place to stay at, not too expensive or fancy and safe enough so that two girls in their early twenties can come home day and night. I was in NY last 17 years ago but I'm sure someone here could help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BigB08822
10-24-2012, 08:12 PM
We are staying at the 3 West Club for our wedding and it is definitely a better price than most other hotels. It certainly doesn't have the amenities that other hotels have but we aren't looking for a gym or fancy bathroom or anything. They may want to check that out. Have your friends chosen a specific date yet? They may want to look at dates and see when hotels have the best prices available. Obviously prices go way up during summer, christmas and other holidays. They may want to try going during an "off" time.

Rob
10-24-2012, 08:37 PM
There are several old threads on this topic, but darned if I could search them up. Not good with the new site yet. You might try though. I recall some of the options were boutique hotels on the Upper West Side:

On the Ave
Hotel Belleclaire
The Beacon Hotel (kitchenettes available)
The Lucerne
Park79
HudsonHotel

GarrAarghHrumph
10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
There are several old threads on this topic, but darned if I could search them up. Not good with the new site yet. You might try though. I recall some of the options were boutique hotels on the Upper West Side:

On the Ave
Hotel Belleclaire
The Beacon Hotel (kitchenettes available)
The Lucerne
Park79
HudsonHotel

I will try to link to some of the old threads you mentioned:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?55625-Hotels-in-NYC&highlight=NYC+hotels
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?50212-Hotels-in-New-York-City&highlight=NYC+hotels
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?59059-New-York-City-Hotels&highlight=NYC+hotels

ballettmaus
10-24-2012, 10:12 PM
We are staying at the 3 West Club for our wedding and it is definitely a better price than most other hotels. It certainly doesn't have the amenities that other hotels have but we aren't looking for a gym or fancy bathroom or anything. They may want to check that out. Have your friends chosen a specific date yet? They may want to look at dates and see when hotels have the best prices available. Obviously prices go way up during summer, christmas and other holidays. They may want to try going during an "off" time.

They've chosen a date; when the older one is next on break from the university. I have no clue when that is though. Not in summer and not around Christmas, that's for sure.
They're used to pretty simple, so I'll have them check it out.

I cannot access the links posted as I have the simplest account out there, but thank you for the replies!

Artemis@BC
10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
What about a hostel? The Hostelling International one at Amsterdam and 104 is rated very highly for safety/security. Early 20s is a good age for the hostel environment, and it's hard to beat the price.

victoriajh
10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
my mum and I are looking to go in decemeber (anyone want to meet and skate????) i think we are going to use a vrbo - there are some great apartments in midtown for 175-200 a night and you have a kitchen- i love to shop and buy food in different cities!!
maybe an idea?
ps all travel tips to nyc appreciated!!!

ballettmaus
10-24-2012, 11:20 PM
my mum and I are looking to go in decemeber (anyone want to meet and skate????) i think we are going to use a vrbo - there are some great apartments in midtown for 175-200 a night and you have a kitchen- i love to shop and buy food in different cities!!
maybe an idea?

What's a vrbo?

I'll let them know about the hostel. Not sure if they'd want to stay in one but suggesting it can't hurt.

victoriajh
10-24-2012, 11:22 PM
What's a vrbo?

I'll let them know about the hostel. Not sure if they'd want to stay in one but suggesting it can't hurt.

vacation rental by owner - just google it and a tonne of sites come up-

Artemis@BC
10-24-2012, 11:29 PM
maybe an idea?

Another way to go, depending on where you live and whether or not it's "desirable," is to try to do a house swap. My travel buddy and I did that when we went to New York last year -- we got super lucky and got a loft in the East Village. Of course it doesn't work for everyone, and I'm sure there our house swap horror stories out there ... but for us it couldn't have been better. Great neighbourhood, use of a kitchen, zero problems on either end, and best of all it was free!

star_gazer11
10-25-2012, 12:24 AM
If they aren't already familiar with hotel prices, they may well reconsider a hostel, just sayin'. Some hostels offer private rooms for singles, doubles, and triples if they don't want to do to the whole big dorm room thing.

Which is how I came to stay one night at The Pod Hotel (http://www.thepodhotel.com/nyc-hotel-rooms/) last year. They added a second location since then (I stayed at the 51st Street location).

The smaller rooms like I had have a shared bath. There is a sink in the room though, and I didn't find the shared bathroom to be much of a hassle - there are indicator lights to see which bathrooms are occupied in your room.

My single pod room was tiny, but the price was right. And it looks like the 39th Street location has ensuite bathrooms for all rooms, but the prices look like another $100 over what I paid for a shared bath single room at the other location. Anyways, I would suggest pod hotel if the price is good during their dates.

I managed to snag a great deal on travelzoo for my other night. It was only about $20 more than the pod hotel for a room at a Wyndham hotel.

KCC
10-25-2012, 02:10 AM
vacation rental by owner - just google it and a tonne of sites come up-

I used vrbo in NYC before with great results. Doorman, great location and nice apartment for less than a hotel.

ballettmaus
10-28-2012, 02:21 PM
Thank you for all the replies. I now heard they're considering staying with strangers, the term's "couch hopping" here. Apparently, they have found someone in China Town. I have no idea how safe that would be; they don't look anything remotely close to Asian or "exotic" and I'm always cautious when it comes to living with strangers in general. (in addition to that they seem to have found it over craigslist.)
I'll definitely continue to forward all the suggestions! Thanks.

Aceon6
10-28-2012, 05:40 PM
Couch surfing through a known network like a university tends to be fairly safe. Were it my relative, I'd advise using a network that is no more than 3 people long. Surfer... person surfer knows well or who is of known reputation... couch.

Jubak
10-28-2012, 09:55 PM
There will be no problem at all in Chinatown. Not everyone there is Asian, so don't worry about it.