PDA

View Full Version : Music of Olympic Champions

skateboy
10-23-2012, 09:48 AM
Take a look at this list of the FP music from Olympic singles champions (I started with 1988):

Brian Boitano (Soundtrack from "Napoleon")
Katarina Witt (Bizet: Carmen)

Viktor Petrenko (medley of Chopin/ballet music)
Kristi Yamaguchi (Malaguena)

Alexei Urmanov (medley of opera/ballet music)
Oksana Baiul (Broadway medley)

Ilia Kulik (Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue)
Tara Lipinski (Soundtrack from "The Rainbow")

Alexei Yagudin (Man in the Iron Mask)
Sarah Hughes (Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe)

Evgeni Plushenko (Music from "The Godfather")
Shizuka Arakawa (Puccini: Turandot)

Evan Lysacek (Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade)
Yuna Kim (Gershwin: Concerto in F)

With the exception of Oksana Baiul's program, all of these are noticeable examples of classical and/or powerful-serious music choices. So is this a winning formula? (I think yes.)

I don't know about you, but when I see a high-ranking skater with "questionable" music, my first thought is "that's not Olympic winning music." And it appears that, usually, "lighter" music doesn't (or at least hasn't) brought a skater to Olympic glory. (I purposely left out programs from the early 80's, where a potpourri of classical, pop and disco was often the norm.)

Whadday'all think about this?

Marco
10-23-2012, 10:02 AM
One very popular composer is missing: Rachmaninoff. From Ito to M&D to Kwan to Asada, Rach seems to be destined as Olympic silver music. The jinx is so strong that S&P and Hughes actually switched away from Rach music and won Olympic gold.

kwanette
10-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Take a look at this list of the FP music from Olympic singles champions (I started with 1988):

Brian Boitano (Music of Aaron Copland)
Katarina Witt (Bizet: Carmen)

Viktor Petrenko (medley of Chopin/ballet music)
Kristi Yamaguchi (Malaguena)

Alexei Urmanov (medley of opera/ballet music)
Oksana Baiul (Broadway medley)

Ilia Kulik (Gershwin: Rhapsody in Blue)
Tara Lipinski (Soundtrack from "The Rainbow")

Alexei Yagudin (Man in the Iron Mask)
Sarah Hughes (Ravel: Daphnis et Chloe)

Evgeni Plushenko (Music from "The Godfather")
Shizuka Arakawa (Puccini: Turandot)

Evan Lysacek (Rimsky-Korsakov: Scheherazade)
Yuna Kim (Gershwin: Concerto in F)

With the exception of Oksana Baiul's program, all of these are noticeable examples of classical and/or powerful-serious music choices. So is this a winning formula? (I think yes.)

I don't know about you, but when I see a high-ranking skater with "questionable" music, my first thought is "that's not Olympic winning music." And it appears that, usually, "lighter" music doesn't (or at least hasn't) brought a skater to Olympic glory. (I purposely left out programs from the early 80's, where a potpourri of classical, pop and disco was often the norm.)

Boitano used Copeland in 94. He skated to Napolean in 88.

Vash01
10-23-2012, 05:44 PM
I don't see Sarah Hughes' choice of music (Daphne et Chloe) as powerful.

Boitano's 'Napoleon' music (not Copeland) was so perfect for him! It is rare to see the choice of music totally transform a skater. Of course the choreography helped too.

Using classical music in the Olympics is a safer bet than to use an unknown piece of music. I think that's why we see mostly this in the Olympics. It may be interesting to see who used lesser known music for LP in the Olympics and won. Had Michelle won in 98, I would have counted her as someone using less familiar music.

lulu
10-23-2012, 08:47 PM

Sort of off topic, but I was watching youtube clips of the 1984 pairs events at the Olympics & U.S. nationals, and most of the music cuts are just :scream: .

falling_dance
10-23-2012, 08:53 PM
One very popular composer is missing: Rachmaninoff. From Ito to M&D to Kwan to Asada, Rach seems to be destined as Olympic silver music. The jinx is so strong that S&P and Hughes actually switched away from Rach music and won Olympic gold.

I wonder when the "jinx" set in. Curry's 1976 SP music was Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini (Hughes' FS retained a fragment of that work). IIRC, the Protopopovs won one of their two OGMs skating to Rach 3 (among a couple of other pieces, I'm sure).

Vash01
10-23-2012, 09:00 PM

I had created a thread about this a few years back. Rach does seem to lead to silver in the Olympics- most of the time. However, this must be a relatively recent phenomenon (starting in the 1990's?). It's hard to argue against the jinx though, because it is so prominent.

aftershocks
10-23-2012, 09:09 PM
^^ Not necessarily a "jinx" but perhaps a seeming trend or happenstance that there is no accounting for, like the supposed "jinx" of appearing on the cover of SI prior to a big sporting event. Cue up "twilight zone" music ... :lol:

TalentedButHumble
10-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Perhaps if you skate to Rach while wearing a silver costume and appear on the SI cover all the jinxes would cancel each other out. ;)

skateboy
10-24-2012, 01:35 AM
I don't see Sarah Hughes' choice of music (Daphne et Chloe) as powerful.

Boitano's 'Napoleon' music (not Copeland) was so perfect for him!

Sorry about that, I've edited the original post to say "Napoleon" for Brian Boitano.

You don't think of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe as powerful music? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.

Not all Olympic winning programs have been classical (i.e., The Godfather, Tara's "Rainbow" music, Yags' MITIM), but is does seem that the there's a "powerful" aspect to them. Have any of you questioned some of the top contenders' music choices. I know I have.

zilam98
10-24-2012, 01:42 AM
well those pieces of music arent called war horses for nuthin' ;)

escaflowne9282
10-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Sorry about that, I've edited the original post to say "Napoleon" for Brian Boitano.

You don't think of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe as powerful music? I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before.

Not all Olympic winning programs have been classical (i.e., The Godfather, Tara's "Rainbow" music, Yags' MITIM), but is does seem that the there's a "powerful" aspect to them. Have any of you questioned some of the top contenders' music choices. I know I have.

In pairs , I think this hasn't really been the trend. I wouldn't call M&D's Liebestraum , G&G's Moonlight Sonata (the cuts they used), K&D's Passacaglia, B&S' Meditation, S&P's Love Story as being "powerful" pieces of music: ethereal and sentimental maybe. T&M & S&Z came close to this ,however.

I also don't think the cuts of music that Sarah Hughes used in her Daphnis and Chloe were that powerful. The full piece of music may have been, but the actual music she used was somewhat light and airy until the final 10 seconds or so.