PDA

View Full Version : 9 yr old Shot, Mistaken for a Skunk

Pages : [1] 2

skipaway
10-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Would like to know how much the relative had imbibed prior to pulling the trigger.

9 Yr Old or Skunk? (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/21/14598776-9-year-old-girl-shot-after-relative-mistakes-her-for-skunk?lite)

ChelleC
10-22-2012, 01:17 AM
No kidding, how do you mistake a child for a skunk?

skipaway
10-22-2012, 01:23 AM
No kidding, how do you mistake a child for a skunk?

Well, anything black and white must by definition be a skunk. I hope she pulls through ok.

orbitz
10-22-2012, 02:28 AM
Why would one shoot a skunk anyway unless it's rabid and poses a present danger?

rjblue
10-22-2012, 02:33 AM
A woman in Maine was hanging out her clothes in her backyard. Because it was cold she was wearing gloves on her hands. They were white. A Whitetail Deer's tail is white. She is dead. The hunter who shot her was aquited, because it was an understandable mistake. I remember following the court case at the time and being horrified.

Anita18
10-22-2012, 05:28 AM
A woman in Maine was hanging out her clothes in her backyard. Because it was cold she was wearing gloves on her hands. They were white. A Whitetail Deer's tail is white. She is dead. The hunter who shot her was aquited, because it was an understandable mistake. I remember following the court case at the time and being horrified.
Did they not see the clothes? Or the house? Why is someone hunting in a neighborhood a stone's throw from a backyard?!?!?! :scream:

I have seen plenty a skunk in my time. They are the size of a baby. Nooo idea how a 9-y-o could be mistaken for one. Unless she was literally crawling in the grass with the skunk hat on.

skipaway
10-22-2012, 05:56 PM
From article on CNN

As the two to three dozen guests milled about, the girl went to hide on the edge of a hill.

It was past 8 p.m. and the sun had long set. A relative spotted the dark figure in the distance, mistook it for a skunk and fired his shotgun, said Officer Greg Carney with the township police.

The girl was hit in the neck, back and arm - and flown to Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh, about 30 miles away. There, she remained in the intensive care unit, Carney said.

Police will determine later Monday whether they will charge the shooter, whom they did not name. Nor did they say how he was related to the girl.

They did add, however, that the man had not been drinking.

NancyNC
10-22-2012, 06:30 PM
They did add, however, that the man had not been drinking.

He had perhaps, however, been inhaling... And should they change the name of the county from Beaver County? ;)

orbitz
10-22-2012, 07:12 PM
One hopes that people that own gun would be more responsible. Why would you automatically shoot at a "dark figure in the distance" without verifying first what it is?

lulu
10-22-2012, 07:23 PM

That's just awful. :(

lulu
10-22-2012, 07:25 PM
One hopes that people that own gun would be more responsible. Why would you automatically shoot at a "dark figure in the distance" without verifying first what it is?

Amen to that! How the heck do you confuse a 9 year old child with a skunk?

Vash01
10-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Amen to that! How the heck do you confuse a 9 year old child with a skunk?

...and even if you did, why would anyone shoot a skunk? It's not a threat to anyone's life.

lulu
10-22-2012, 07:32 PM
...and even if you did, why would anyone shoot a skunk? It's not a threat to anyone's life.

Good point. Anyway, I hope the girl recovers fully.

Anita18
10-22-2012, 08:53 PM
If you hit it at exactly the right place, it'll probably stink up your entire yard anyway. Best to leave it be!

cruisin
10-22-2012, 09:33 PM
Why did this man have a gun at a Halloween party?