PDA

View Full Version : Jumping from the stratosphere

Pages : [1] 2

Aussie Willy
10-15-2012, 02:18 AM
I am surprised no-one has posted about this one. The guy who has jumped from the edge of space. Pretty incredible and slightly mad.

http://www.theage.com.au/technology/sci-tech/daredevil-felix-baumgartner-breaks-sound-barrier-in-leap-from-the-edge-of-space-20121015-27liq.html

liv
10-15-2012, 02:55 AM
So cool to see this. I watched this live...well, 20 second delay. CNN cut away from it because they feared something disastrous, but I switched to BBC who didn't seem to have such qualms.

I had watched some earlier reports that said if he started to spin it was very bad and could result in death, so when I saw his figure starting to spin I was soooo worried. Then, it was amazing to see him regain control. The outburst from the control obviously felt the same as me because they were cheering loudly just like I was. When that parachute came out, you knew he'd be fine and the relief was just overwhelming.

I thought it was amazing. On a scientific level, they will learn so much from this. It's nice to see humans continue to push themselves. Yes, he was crazy, but it's not like he woke up one day and decided to do something stupid, like so many daredevils do. They put years of research and prep into this, using some very experienced professionals, so it was a meticulously planned act of madness!!

Moka-Ananas
10-15-2012, 02:55 AM
Absolutely shocking. My flatmate and I were sitting in front of the tv and watching this, totally nervous.

Wyliefan
10-15-2012, 03:31 AM
I couldn't even bear to watch. :yikes:

Really
10-15-2012, 03:44 AM
I watched it live online for about an hour. Un-friggin-believable! But oh, so cool!

MR-FAN
10-15-2012, 03:45 AM
So awesome! And looks like so much fun :D

milanessa
10-15-2012, 05:13 AM
Amazing!

orbitz
10-15-2012, 05:14 AM
I don't get it. I know it's an achievement for him and he made the record book, yada, yada, yada, but so what?

milanessa
10-15-2012, 05:16 AM
I don't get it. I know it's an achievement for him and he made the record book, yada, yada, yada, but so what?

I suppose you'd say the same about space missions?

MR-FAN
10-15-2012, 05:24 AM

New record for humanity! No person has ever jumped from a higher altitude, and no person has ever broken the sound barrier in just a space suit. Pretty cool stuff!

l'etoile
10-15-2012, 03:45 PM
It's still amazing how it takes such a short amount of time falling from that height!

It must feel really liberating. Sky-diving, or flying literally like a superman, is one of my dreams:D

orbitz
10-15-2012, 04:02 PM
I suppose you'd say the same about space missions?

No. This free fall event felt like a stunt, done for bragging right and for Red Bull to be in the news. I'm not saying that people shouldn't get excited about it, but for me, I don't see what the big deal is. If the data from this stunt really help scientific research in any way then I'd love to see scientific articles written up about it.

BigB08822
10-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Want some perspective about how big the Earth is? If you dug a hole all the way to the core and dropped something in it, it would take almost 45 minutes for it to reach the core. This man's jump wasn't nearly that long! Crazy!

I think his jump is very important. Everything we can learn is useful. The Earth has an expiration date whether people want to believe it or not. The Sun will expand and fry the Earth before it completely consumes it. We will either cease to exist or will be forced to find a way to move (galaxies, not planets).

aftershocks
10-16-2012, 02:43 AM
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/1860/earth-doomed-fry

:EVILLE:

MR-FAN
10-16-2012, 02:54 AM
http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/news/1860/earth-doomed-fry

:EVILLE:

Robert Smith, an astronomer at the University of Sussex, England, previously calculated that as the Sun runs out of fuel, it will expand into a dangerous "red giant".

Just keep pumping fuel in there! Wheeee:rollin: