PDA

View Full Version : Which of these 3 old timers will make the most successful comeback?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Maofan7
10-14-2012, 03:55 AM
This (http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskating/story/2012/10/12/spf-poll-isu-figure-skating.html) CBC article speculates on who will make the most successful comeback: Johnny Weir, Evan Lysacek, or Evgeni Plushenko. So, who do you think will be the most successful?

Ozzisk8tr
10-14-2012, 03:59 AM
Hmm, I voted before actually thinking about the question. I put Evan (as much as he is nor real favourite of mine) I thought his skills would be the best compared to the top men out there today. The question however is "Who will make the most successful comeback. I think the judges will shower Plush with gratuitous marks and therefore he will be the more successful one, even though the skills may not be there. I may be wrong, I hope I am. I'd also love to see Johnny with the most success of the three but I won't hold my breath.

spikydurian
10-14-2012, 04:09 AM
Plushenko. Weir doesn't seem to have his quads in his pocket yet and Evans is recently injured which may make a successful comeback in Worlds and Sochi harder. Well.. I may be wrong. I am not god.:D

aftershocks
10-14-2012, 04:20 AM
Well, we haven't seen too much of Evan as yet, especially due to his injury. If anyone has vids of Evan's new programs would be nice to see, instead of just eyewitness reports.

Plush is nothing if not age-defying and defiant re desiring to prevail and continue to prove something as a skater. He will land his jumps, and he has tried to incorporate transitions and smooth out his skating, but altho' I am impressed re his tireless desire, I never loved his skating style. Sure, the judges will be generous toward him.

Just as surely, the judges have never been generous toward Johnny. I think Johnny looks very good and he will be competitive. We'll see going forward how he progresses during the course of the season. I'm happy to see him out on the ice again. Of course, I voted for Johnny, because I feel overall he's always been more gifted as an all-around skater than both Lysacek and Plushenko.

Lysacek has always had the edge in nose to the grindstone determination, and he's an overachiever, as well as someone who was well-liked politically which enhanced his career (along with having one of the best fs coaches in the world). Too early to tell how well he will do in his comeback. Clearly, Lysacek has the potential and OGM rep to be ahead of the other comeback guys.

Plushenko's coach was always more about the jumps, and Plush's skating has always been more jump-centric. He got away with a lot because he had such rep with the judges. He had the potential to go for more artistry but he didn't perhaps because once Yagudin left the eligible scene, Plush was not greatly challenged. Plush seems to want to prove something especially after not reaching his goal at 2010 Olympics, but I think ultimately it's too late for him to be on the top of the podium again. Simply because of his past rep, and if he makes few mistakes, Plush could come out on top of the other comeback guys, but he also could just as easily falter.

bardtoob
10-14-2012, 04:26 AM
I rule out Evan due to injury, but no shame. He was 4th at the Olympics in 2006 and Olympic Champion in 2010. That is a very respectable course of an amateur career.

I won't rule out Johnny for one more Olympic berth, although right now he is not anywhere near international podium material.

Plushy, by sheer will, will be on the podium in Sochi ... He might have to use the darkside of the force, but I think Mishin markets a training vest for that :sekret:

aftershocks
10-14-2012, 04:33 AM
"By sheer will" Plushy's making a second come back, but if he reaches the podium in Sochi, it will likely be mainly due to politics (Olympics taking place in Sochi) and rep with the judges. :P

There are just too many great young skaters out there IMHO that are simply better than Plush, altho' granted, those younger guys do not have Plushy's "will" of steel.

ETA:

I just saw Plushy's Japan Open performance. His jumps were good, especially for 30 years old, but obviously he doesn't have the same endurance -- he flubbed his 2-axel at the end. Plush also looks like he's another emulator of Johnny re costume style and trying to smooth out his moves over the ice. ;) I think Plush again gets lots of credit from judges because of his rep as a jumping machine, not to mention power of the Russian political/ skating tradition machine.

caseyedwards
10-14-2012, 05:24 AM
Plushenko had no rep with those two judges who gave him fives in pcs and no goe on anything in Vancouver!! What if there are more of those in Sochi? You can't win if judges are giving you fives and with his age and possible technical prowess decreasing he may not have the Tes.

overedge
10-14-2012, 06:08 AM
It depends on how you define "success". If any of them are coming back just because they enjoy competition and don't care too much about placements, then just being there is "success".

museksk8r
10-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Easily, Plushenko, IMO. The man is a well oiled machine, despite the fact that I don't like the style of his skating. I've always respected his athleticism, technique, and consistency very much. The man is a born fighter and competitor!

bardtoob
10-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Wow ...Plushy certainly had more of a "program" at the JO this year than I've seen from him in at least 8 years.

The Accordion
10-14-2012, 06:44 AM
Plushenko is like the Terminator of skating. His skating may not be my favourite - but his athleticism and longevity and determination are beyond comprehension.

aftershocks
10-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Good point from overedge. Altho' I don't think Plush is coming back just because he enjoys competition -- I think he's at least aiming for the podium in his home country, and I think he hopes for gold too, but too tall an order that, IMO.

They are probably all coming back for a mixture of reasons. I actually don't think Johnny necessarily "enjoys" competition, but he probably missed eligible competition in some ways since skating has been so important in his life, and I think he really wants to skate at the Olympics in Russia. Plus after 2010, Johnny likely felt a sense of unfinished business. However, I think Johnny is realistic about his chances -- he'll give it his all and have no regrets no matter what happens.

Evan, I too think likely felt something missing in his life when he stopped skating competitively. But I think he has the most to lose by coming back as the reigning Olympic gold medalist, because IMO, there is no way he will repeat as OGM. Maybe Evan is simply hoping to have a good showing in the deep men's field, with a focus on competing in the team comp and representing his country at a third Olympics.

briancoogaert
10-14-2012, 08:27 AM
Why Plushenko is on the list ? He is the current European Champion...

So, between Weir and Lysacek, I hope Weir will make the best comeback. :)

shine
10-14-2012, 03:25 PM
Skaters that should come back are not coming back, yet the ones shouldn't keep coming. Ugh.

museksk8r
10-14-2012, 03:27 PM
Skaters that should come back are not coming back, yet the ones shouldn't keep coming. Ugh.

I know exactly how you feel, shine. :wall::wuzrobbed