PDA

View Full Version : Can Ashley Wagner win world championship in 2013?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Vash01
10-11-2012, 06:57 AM
Last year at this time nobody gave Ashley the slightest chance of winning worlds. However, after her strong performance at last year's worlds and early this season, it may not be too unrealistic to consider her as one of the challengers for that title.

What do you think of Ashley at this point?

judgejudy27
10-11-2012, 07:08 AM
I think she definitely can but I think a silver and bronze is much more likely, and something she would be thrilled with.

l'etoile
10-11-2012, 07:08 AM
If other contenders make some mistakes and she goes clean she can definitely win. But I do think if she develops and earns some great mileage with strong performances throughout the season, anything, by that I mean Ashley winning world title is possible.

judgejudy27
10-11-2012, 07:09 AM
If everyone skates cleanly at Nationals will she even make the team with Czisny, Nagasu, and Gold, and only 2 spots.

t.mann
10-11-2012, 07:14 AM
Non.

Wagner is not WC material.

Vash01
10-11-2012, 07:15 AM
If everyone skates cleanly at Nationals will she even make the team with Czisny, Nagasu, and Gold, and only 2 spots.

If she skates clean, I am sure she will be on the team. She was the highest US finisher at worlds last year. If she has a successful GP series, that will cement her spot on the team over 1)inconsistent Czisny, 2)inexperienced Gold (although I suspect the USFSA will want to give her exposure in the pre-Olympic year, 3)at this point Nagasu is as unpredictable as any skater.

judgejudy27
10-11-2012, 07:23 AM
If she skates clean, I am sure she will be on the team. She was the highest US finisher at worlds last year. If she has a successful GP series, that will cement her spot on the team over 1)inconsistent Czisny, 2)inexperienced Gold (although I suspect the USFSA will want to give her exposure in the pre-Olympic year, 3)at this point Nagasu is as unpredictable as any skater.

Well I am pretty sure Czisny and Nagasu wont skate cleanly so it is probably moot (Gold might), I am just wondering in a hypothetical they all skate cleanly. It seems the general consensus of people is, or atleast was, that Czisny and Nagasu at their best are better skaters, and Gold is the USFSA darling it seems. Then again Wagner with her international performances might be respected to the point they would give her the benefit even in that case though.

Vash01
10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
I don't believe the USFSA will take a chance on Czisny in the pre-Olympic year. They will want to secure 3 spots, and Czisny is a very big risk.

judgejudy27
10-11-2012, 08:14 AM
I don't believe the USFSA will take a chance on Czisny in the pre-Olympic year. They will want to secure 3 spots, and Czisny is a very big risk.

Yes come to think of it after last season Czisny will probably be lowballed even if she skates great at Nationals. Also if Wagner and Gold skate well, they wont even have to justify placing even a clean Czisny lower as Wagner has already surpassed Czisny's international PB scores now, and everyone knows Gold is the future being groomed for 2014 and beyond, and her jumping and speed and power far surpass even the good Czisny. They will have ample justifaction to leave her off most likely no matter what, and after last season will be more than happy to do so. Nagasu if has programs and overall skating like what she has shown lately wont score that highly even if she somehow pulled off a cleanish skate.

So I guess come to think of it Wagner doesnt have much to worry about even in that unlikely scenario. She will probably even be kept ahead of Gold until she starts to slip up and/or Gold improves her presentation greatly.

briancoogaert
10-11-2012, 08:57 AM
Non.

Wagner is not WC material.
I voted No as well. But not just because she is not a WC material. I think we already have many World champ who were not WC material.
I just guess the better skaters will skate well enough !
And by the way, I really like her style, so, if she wins it, I'll be happy ! :)

essence_of_soy
10-11-2012, 10:25 AM
I voted No as well. But not just because she is not a WC material. I think we already have many World champ who were not WC material.
I just guess the better skaters will skate well enough !
And by the way, I really like her style, so, if she wins it, I'll be happy ! :)

What the heck? Skating is all about generating points, anyway.

A title should be earned with the skate and how that skater and their competition do. Reputation counts for something, but pre-determining a win smacks of 2002.

Given how many polls go on here saying that x skater should have won over y, and that there are so many split decisions amongst the judges themselves, the argument for whether a skater is worthy opens up a different can of worms.

So far, Lipnitskaya has the highest total for a free skate (and that includes doubling the triple flip). Is Julia even eligible for Worlds?

Alex Forrest
10-11-2012, 11:06 AM

You are right. If Wagner and Gold stand up in their programs this fall, I think there is NO WAY anyone else is going to Worlds. USFS totally screwed up in 2009 by sending Czisny, you think they would EVEN CONSIDER her for 2013 Worlds? Please. And beside her spins, what DOES she do better? She's tentative, looks like Bambi on ice and that's not even when she's falling all over the place which she has a bad habit of doing just about everytime. That's her on a GOOD day. No thanks, they will go for the competitors who will land their jumps and lay down a program. Wagner and Gold, that's who I'm calling.

I think anything is possible, and Ashley has grit. She just might be World champ this year. I'm not betting against her.

Frau Muller
10-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Absolutely CAN! All the way to Sochi 2014, baby!!!

briancoogaert
10-11-2012, 12:12 PM
What the heck? Skating is all about generating points, anyway.
LOL, yes of course. That's what I said ! And I'd prefer a better skater to generate more points.
And as I said, I don't really care since I like her skating !

Lanna
10-11-2012, 12:12 PM
So far, Lipnitskaya has the highest total for a free skate (and that includes doubling the triple flip). Is Julia even eligible for Worlds?

No. She eligible for the Olympics, though.

General rule:

Year 1: JGP eligible
Year 2: GP eligible (currently)
Year 3: Worlds/Olympics eligible