PDA

View Full Version : Miscellaneous

Susan1
10-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Hi. I'm combining updates to previous threads....

1. My cousin has finally put together a resume BECAUSE HER UNEMPLOYMENT RUNS OUT DEC. 31!!!!! I tweaked it quite a bit (verb agreement, spacing, punctuation).

2. I did get my prepaid phone settled as soon as my (other) cousin's contract ran out on my phone. However, someone at the store told me I could check the minutes left by texting #MIN. To where? It won't let me use that as an address.

And just because everyone here is so knowledgeable, practically every time I am on the internet, it says I am using too much memory. I've been reading around and that seems to be a windows problem. The "fixes" are too complicated for me, here alone with a computer I'm scared of. Does anyone have a quick fix?

I can learn any kind of software/job process, etc., but when it comes to hardware/technology, I'm a total idiot!

Anita18
10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Which browser are you using? I find that Chrome uses the least memory for me. Firefox tends to be a memory hog and I have to quit and restart every so often to clean out the caches. Also, don't use a ton of tabs or windows at once. :P

The other solution would be to add more memory, which is actually not ridiculously difficult, but can be quite intimidating to someone in no teknik!

Susan1
10-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Which browser are you using? I find that Chrome uses the least memory for me. Firefox tends to be a memory hog and I have to quit and restart every so often to clean out the caches. Also, don't use a ton of tabs or windows at once. :P

The other solution would be to add more memory, which is actually not ridiculously difficult, but can be quite intimidating to someone in no teknik!

Hi. It's internet explorer. I've seen places that say to switch to Firefox or Chrome. How would you even do that? Wouldn't I lose all my favorites and stuff? I do clean out my history and cookies and temp files, but if you look at answers to "internet explorer uses too much memory", they are saying it's a Windows problem. Come to think of it, opening a link from the browser used to just open. Now it opens a new window every time. Hm.

And I'm sure any 14 year old could install memory on my computer. I'm NOT touching the guts of this thing! I don't even download anything cause I'm afraid it will hurt something. And I don't know any 14 year olds. ha ha

Can't afford to take it to a computer place either. It's an old (2008) full size tower anyway. At work we had mini towers that I would have been able to carry somewhere. I guess I'll just put up with the message until they fix it somwhere.

Anita18
10-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Hi. It's internet explorer. I've seen places that say to switch to Firefox or Chrome. How would you even do that? Wouldn't I lose all my favorites and stuff? I do clean out my history and cookies and temp files, but if you look at answers to "internet explorer uses too much memory", they are saying it's a Windows problem. Come to think of it, opening a link from the browser used to just open. Now it opens a new window every time. Hm.

And I'm sure any 14 year old could install memory on my computer. I'm NOT touching the guts of this thing! I don't even download anything cause I'm afraid it will hurt something. And I don't know any 14 year olds. ha ha

Can't afford to take it to a computer place either. It's an old (2008) full size tower anyway. At work we had mini towers that I would have been able to carry somewhere. I guess I'll just put up with the message until they fix it somwhere.
Do I dare ask which version of Internet Explorer? :lol: And which version of Windows? They might not bother fixing "the Windows problem" if it's a version older than Vista.

You just go to the Chrome (https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/) or Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/) website and download the installation package. The websites can even detect what version your computer can handle, and give it to you. Then you double-click and follow the instructions. :)

You can actually import all your favorites from IE to Chrome or Firefox: http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=96816 (Chrome)

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/import-bookmarks-internet-explorer (Firefox)

It's still worth taking in if need be. Again, if your OS is old enough, there will be no more updates for it. It'll have to be up to you. I have a 2008 Macbook Pro and I've downloaded a bunch of software to help it go faster. It's not running slow enough for me to invest more RAM in it. :lol: It'll actually probably die soon and my solution will just be to buy a new one. :P

Good luck!