PDA

View Full Version : Death by Bugs...

Pages : [1] 2

nubka
10-09-2012, 03:00 PM
:( :eek::eek::eek: :(

http://www.cnn.com/2012/10/09/us/florida-roach-eating-death/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Buzz
10-09-2012, 03:22 PM
All that just to win a pet snake?! :wideeyes:

nubka
10-09-2012, 04:27 PM

A few years ago (here in Utah,) a mom died from drinking too much water in a contest. She was trying to win her kinds a Wii. :(

moojja
10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
From reading the article, we don't know if it is the bugs that killed him. Since those bugs were raised to be lizard food, I doubt it is the bugs. We'll know more when the autopsy comes out.

nubka
10-09-2012, 05:21 PM
From reading the article, we don't know if it is the bugs that killed him. Since those bugs were raised to be lizard food, I doubt it is the bugs. We'll know more when the autopsy comes out.

Whatever it was, it seemed to hit him quickly. :(

Stormy
10-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Darwinism at it's finest.

Southpaw
10-09-2012, 06:20 PM
Does the runner-up get the python now?

TheGirlCanSkate
10-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I'm not into autopsies in general, but that one - I'd want trauma pay!:(

Zemgirl
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
I had much the same reaction. I'm not sure I could eat a cockroach if someone's life depended on it, let alone to win a snake.

I noticed a discussion in the article comments as to whether this is the sort of case a medical examiner would welcome or not. :yikes:

aliceanne
10-09-2012, 09:41 PM
A few years ago (here in Utah,) a mom died from drinking too much water in a contest. She was trying to win her kinds a Wii. :(

That one surprises me. I thought with all the interest in marathons and running people were aware of water poisoning. Too much water and not enough sodium upsets the electrolyte balance and causes heart arrhythmia.

Anita18
10-09-2012, 11:28 PM
I'm not into autopsies in general, but that one - I'd want trauma pay!:(
I'm sure they've actually seen worse...:o

That one surprises me. I thought with all the interest in marathons and running people were aware of water poisoning. Too much water and not enough sodium upsets the electrolyte balance and causes heart arrhythmia.
I don't know, it's still not really common knowledge, IMO. Cause you're supposed to drink lots of water daily, right? Many people may just assume that more can't be unhealthy...

Scintillation
10-10-2012, 05:00 AM
Oh god, I want to barf reading that story.

I really enjoyed the quote though: "Some of the snakes are pretty expensive. I thought if I could eat bugs to get one, it'd be a good idea." No. It is not a good idea. Go home.

cruisin
10-10-2012, 02:40 PM

The disease organisms/cockroach defecation doesn't make sense to me. Wouldn't that take time? He died too quickly for me to believe it was the bugs. Unless they were still alive and somehow moved into an area that could cause him to stop breathing, or something like that. Don't know if that's possible, thug.

Part of that contest was that they had to drink XX amount of water within a certain amount of time and they were not allowed to urinate. Just plain stupid!

skatesindreams
10-10-2012, 08:59 PM
There are consequences for extreme stupidity.
What is the liability for whoever thought of this?

BigB08822
10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
Supposedly the contestants all signed a waiver so I would think and hope that they are not liable. No one was forced to participate.

I also don't think it could be any kind of poisoning. If it was something so severe to kill him so fast then surely other people would have at least gotten ill or died as well. I am almost tempted to think it was something coincidental like a heart attack or brain aneurism. Maybe the excitement from the contest got his blood pressure too high and it was the straw that broke the camels back?