PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Chan sees Japan blunders as wake-up call

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26

Sugar
10-07-2012, 06:44 PM
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/patrick-chan-sees-japan-blunders-as-wake-up-call/article4595002/
World figure skating champion Patrick Chan has insisted his blunders at the Japan Open would serve as a wake-up call as he prepares to defend his crown in the run-up to the 2014 Olympics.

The Canadian fell four times whilst attempting a couple of quadruple toe loops and two triple jumps at the season-opening invitational event featuring three teams of two men and two women from Japan, North America and Europe.

video
http://youtu.be/RxA34ZU3XGk

kylet3
10-07-2012, 06:54 PM
He added, however, he was happy with his new coach and could train “much more efficiently and (be) more motivated”.

“She really understands how I feel. She listens to what I feel about my body. So one day I really feel tired or sore, then we take it easy,” said Chan who has in the past described his former coach’s style as more assertive.

This to me kind of says she's a bit of an enabler. I get that coaches need to listen but Christy kind of gave him a kick in the butt to really work on the things that he needs. I really hope this is his wake up call, but he'll have to prove me wrong come Skate Canada. I really hope he does.

bmcg
10-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Seems he is still struggling to find the right balance. A kick in the butt can be a good thing but maybe not as hard as Christy kicked (because didn't we find out later last season he was miserable and contemplating quitting?). I hope he finds the right balance he needs.

Vash01
10-07-2012, 07:13 PM
It's not that unusual, IMO. Chan usually makes mistakes early in the season, gets better by GPF and saves his best for the home stretch- Canadian nationals and Worlds. That seems to be his pattern.

PeterG
10-07-2012, 07:36 PM
I get that coaches need to listen but Christy kind of gave him a kick in the butt to really work on the things that he needs.

Seems he is still struggling to find the right balance.

I agree. If all of the problems can be dealt with, I feel that Chan might acheive something of note in the sport.

skatesindreams
10-07-2012, 08:12 PM
If all of the problems can be dealt with, I feel that Chan might acheive something of note in the sport.

I believe he already has; and that he will do even more in the years to come.

arakwafan2006
10-07-2012, 08:17 PM
He's got Michelle Kwan syndrome. I am not sure why he picked this season to not utilize a coach but he's basically going it alone if you ask me. I think that successful people reach a point of arrogance where they think that they can actually understand EVERYTHING. So, Chan picks a dance coach to head up his training and development in a way that is beyond her scope of expertise. I am not saying that she was the cause of the poor performance. the same could have happened under Krall (see Agnes Z's performance) however I cant say that there was much by way of humility in his decision.

I didnt train a day in his shoes. Perhaps Krall was too over bearing... dont know. All i can say though is I hope his training is as intense as it once was or else...

bek
10-07-2012, 08:22 PM
He's got Michelle Kwan syndrome. I am not sure why he picked this season to not utilize a coach but he's basically going it alone if you ask me. I think that successful people reach a point of arrogance where they think that they can actually understand EVERYTHING. So, Chan picks a dance coach to head up his training and development in a way that is beyond her scope of expertise. I am not saying that she was the cause of the poor performance. the same could have happened under Krall (see Agnes Z's performance) however I cant say that there was much by way of humility in his decision.

I didnt train a day in his shoes. Perhaps Krall was too over bearing... dont know. All i can say though is I hope his training is as intense as it once was or else...

Its not like the judges have shown him in most cases that landing his jumps are important...

floskate
10-07-2012, 08:32 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick struggle for most of the season and then pull it all together - hopefully Worlds. If his SP is anything resembling his EX from Worlds as is to be believed then he has a truly wonderful set of programs and it would be a travesty not to see them skated cleanly. I hope he's right; that this is the :kickass: he needs, but maybe a bit of a motivational struggle this season is also what he needs heading into the Olympics?

bek
10-07-2012, 08:35 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see Patrick struggle for most of the season and then pull it all together - hopefully Worlds. If his SP is anything resembling his EX from Worlds as is to be believed then he has a truly wonderful set of programs and it would be a travesty not to see them skated cleanly. I hope he's right; that this is the :kickass: he needs, but maybe a bit of a motivational struggle this season is also what he needs heading into the Olympics?

At least he's picking this year to experiment with coaches and not next. In that sense-smarter than Kwan...I think he typically has a bad outing starting out, so I'm not seeing the panic yet.

Willowway
10-07-2012, 08:43 PM
A while ago in an interview, Ilia K said that every athlete has his or her 'wake-up call' and he then went on to mention his. The import of what he said, as I read it and as he later chatted briefly with the Krew about it, was that it's a totally internal thing and if handled well, calls forth another level the athlete has within himself (or herself). My take it that it's also a maturity thing and an honest turning inward, at a time of failure or challenge, to see what the individual says to himself, not what others say however helpful or encouraging.

This has very little to do with whose coach is a softy and whose is a drill major. That can I'm sure make some difference but it's more about the inner athlete - the internal drive, the internal assessment of self, and so forth. I'm glad Patrick sees this as a wake-up call - I hope he has another whole level to show us, but more importantly to show himself. Because it's more between Patrick and himself now than anything or anyone else.

BreakfastClub
10-07-2012, 10:30 PM
Its not like the judges have shown him in most cases that landing his jumps are important...

:rofl:

Iceman
10-07-2012, 11:14 PM
I suspect the entire season (and not just this one outing) will prove to be a wake-up call for Mr. Chan. I hope he (or someone on his team) doesn't hit the "snooze" button too many times. lol

nubka
10-07-2012, 11:42 PM

Exactly.

museksk8r
10-08-2012, 12:14 AM
IMO, this is Patrick's best LP since the 2009 season and I really hope he can skate it to its potential this season. Love the music, love the choreography, love his skating skills, love, love, love! :cheer2::swoon: