PDA

View Full Version : Would Yamaguchi and Klimova & Ponomarenko have won 2nd Oly Gold if reinstated

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

briancoogaert
10-17-2012, 08:02 AM
I think it was reported Midori never wanted to come back in 96 at all. The Japanese basically pressured her into returning. Such a shame as it ended her pro career as well which had been going well to that point.
Really ? OMG. I didn't know that.
Anyway, I also doubt she would have won in 1994. Midori Ito seemed to have big troubles to bear that pressure after 1990. Too bad because she was so brilliant sometimes.

Well, now she has a new career at masters competitions (Oberstdorf) lol.

Alex Forrest
10-17-2012, 02:46 PM
We will never know but personally I doubt a successful comeback for Midori in 1994. Maybe not as bad as 1996 but if a crystal ball were to be invented I would be shocked if it showed her winning in 94 had she returned, even in a field that is well below her peak levels of skating. Maybe a bronze at best. I think she always knew she wanted to be done by 92, she was even declining a bit already by that point, and it was a struggle for her to hang on for that one last shot at gold in 92 which unfortunately didnt go her way. Years of physical pounding on the body, injuries, and of course the emotional strain of years of press from the Japanese press had accumulated to the point I dont think she could have gone any further, hence why she didnt even go to a final Worlds after the Olympics (in fairness maybe it being in Kristi's home area and Kristi having all the momentum after the Olymipcs was another reason, as understandably she probably didnt want to face a likely defeat after her already dissapointing Olympic loss). Kristi is the truly baffling case, not really Midori, who returning in the first place would have been a shock, and was something that was never speculated or discussed at the time, and nor was her ever continuing past 92 ever remotedly considered by anyone in the years leading up to Albertville with everyone pretty much knowing that was Midori's amateur finale; and meanwhile pretty much everyone having expected Kristi to continue on until atleast 94, win or lose in Albertville, and even her initial retirement coming as a big surprise.

Midori was great in some of the pro events, and skated at a higher level than the best amateurs in some of them, just as Kristi did in nearly all of hers, but as Barb Underhill said when commentating on Midori in 96, "it is a whole different feel than professional competition." The rivalry between Ito and Yamaguchi as pros, albeit brief for only a few years, was even better than their amateur won with both women skating their best more frequently than their amateur confronations. Their amateur rivalry was overrated in fact with Midori dominating an up and coming and immateur Yamaguchi, then Midori beset with horrible luck and mishaps in the big events once Kristi had come into her own.

I think it was reported Midori never wanted to come back in 96 at all. The Japanese basically pressured her into returning. Such a shame as it ended her pro career as well which had been going well to that point.

I think Ito was sort of like Janet Lynn when it came to competition. As in, total headcases. They would always bomb the figures, and then just do their thing in the freestyle. Ito was a wreck as a competitor. You can't really blame it on the Japanese media. The minute she was the 'favorite' she started imploding.

Had Ito stayed in for Lillehamer it would have been an entirely different competition. Nancy and Oksana rarely landed all their jumps, and if Ito was there with 3axel and 3toe/3toe it would have been a different competition. But I'm sure Ito would have messed it up anyway.

briancoogaert
10-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Aboslutely.
About Ito, it's always disturbing to say : she would have killed the competition with her 3Axel and 3T/3T. Because she had it in 1992, and she didn't win.