PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

manhn
10-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Oh no! She's the Canadian lady of the moment! She'll make an impact on the international scene! What high expectations!

love_skate2011
10-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I never paid that much attention to Osmond, but her obscure juniors record to a brilliant Senior debut is comparable to Joannie Rochette :

:eek: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaetlyn_Osmond

Rock2
10-28-2012, 02:35 AM
I thought the interview with Mike Slipchuk on TSN last night was a good sign. He basically said that they just let her and Ravi do their thing and not get in the way, which is absolutely the right approach in my opinion.

Agreed. The tough part is that she will likely win nationals and will also be the only lady qualified to go to worlds...in Canada, no less. Automatically thrust in the spotlight so in some ways it's out of Slipchuk's hands. Furthermore, by not letting her spend another year in Juniors it seems that promoting her and pushing her towards repping us in Sochi has become the plan before the summer started. So I'm slightly baffled by what his words meant.

So the best they can do is shield her from the pressure of qualifying two for Sochi. Let her finalize the programs that make her feel comfortable vs pushing her to score higher or achieve a certain result.

I had a thought watching her win in Windsor. Joannie would no longer be a lock to win nationals next year if she returns, especially when you imagine what Osmond will be bringing to the table in 15 months. Is Osmond's emergence the deciding factor that will cause Joannie to formalize her retirement?

Rock2
10-28-2012, 02:38 AM
Given that GP Final is in Sochi and Osmond has a great shot at going in 2014, I wonder to what extent SC can find her a slot in another GP, to give her a chance to skate in the Olympic venue in the GP final....?

Sylvia
10-28-2012, 02:39 AM
Articles on Osmond's Skate Canada gold:
http://www.edmontonexaminer.com/2012/10/27/kaetlyn-osmond-grabs-gold-at-skate-canada (by Ryan Pyette)
http://www.thestar.com/sports/figureskating/article/1278634--skate-canada-newfoundland-teen-kaetlyn-osmond-grabs-gold-in-women-s-singles (by Rosie DiManno)

spikydurian
10-28-2012, 06:51 AM
If Osmond qualifies to represent Canada in Sochi, the experience will be invaluable for 2018 even though she may not have the chance or be ready to podium in 2014, IMO.

Ziggy
10-28-2012, 07:17 AM
Joannie's successor!

Please. Way more interesting than Joannie could dream of being. :P

Anyway, didn't Osmond have a 5+ points lead after the SP? I'm not seeing the scandal here. Osmond has good basics and her programs are full of transitions and detailed choreography.

The scandal is their FS PCS being almost equal.

Osmond certainly does not have good basics. She skates with rounded shoulders and "no neck", her back is a bit stiff and her basic skating is not very good. Her basics aren't terrible but there's plenty of work to be done in those areas.

I could understand her being marked higher than Suzuki on TR but that's it. Maybe CH as well but that's debatable.

I almost wonder if not having a second GP event could turn out to be a blessing in disguise. It would be great for her to get out to another competition and get more World ranking points, but without another GP there's no pressure to make the GPF and extra training time at home to work on basic skating and potentially adding difficulty (triple loop in the FP, harder triple-triple in the short).

Czisny will almost surely withdraw from NHK and ISU is surely gonna pressure JSF to invite Osmond.

I never paid that much attention to Osmond, but her obscure juniors record to a brilliant Senior debut is comparable to Joannie Rochette :

Placing top 10 at a JGP event and top 10 at Junior Worlds is hardly obscure.

Junior Ladies can have a higher standard of skating than Seniors.

victoriaheidi
10-28-2012, 07:21 AM
At this point, I have a feeling she'd get a spot if one opened...then again, look at how many times Mirai's been passed over.

love_skate2011
10-28-2012, 09:10 AM
my only thing that I don't like about Osmond's skating is she skates like a hunchback, relies on her back too much like a speed skater
taht's why she powers through so much jumps

Really
10-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Agreed. The tough part is that she will likely win nationals and will also be the only lady qualified to go to worlds...in Canada, no less. Automatically thrust in the spotlight so in some ways it's out of Slipchuk's hands. Furthermore, by not letting her spend another year in Juniors it seems that promoting her and pushing her towards repping us in Sochi has become the plan before the summer started. So I'm slightly baffled by what his words meant.

So the best they can do is shield her from the pressure of qualifying two for Sochi. Let her finalize the programs that make her feel comfortable vs pushing her to score higher or achieve a certain result.

I had a thought watching her win in Windsor. Joannie would no longer be a lock to win nationals next year if she returns, especially when you imagine what Osmond will be bringing to the table in 15 months. Is Osmond's emergence the deciding factor that will cause Joannie to formalize her retirement?It's interesting to read comments saying that SC should be careful with Osmond and not push her too hard, yet several years ago, when Phaneuf unexpectedly won Canadian nationals at a young age, there was great consternation at the decision to *not* send her to Worlds.

(and no, Rock...I'm not picking on you -- your post just happened to mention the (past) possibility of leaving Osmond in juniors for another year)

Sylvia
10-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Debbi Wilkes' post-FS interview with Kaetlyn Osmond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VGvyvHGzCY
(She says she started training with Ravi Walia starting in 2006.)

caseyedwards
10-28-2012, 04:01 PM
So Sale/Pelletier had been to one worlds before the canadian worlds they won and placed 4th in 2000. But Osmond also I think has the potential to be top 6 or greater. Usually a big problem is that if even if you have the jumps you don have he pcs. Osmond has the pcs immediately and just needs the jumps to be there. That is unusual. Though you had that with Yuna and Mao.

Rock2
10-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Czisny will almost surely withdraw from NHK and ISU is surely gonna pressure JSF to invite Osmond.

Really? Czisny posted on FB only a few days ago that she was going. But yeah she may still technically be iffy.

I have to think JSF would naturally pick Osmond but SC would also likely step up and cash in a favor with them as well to get the second assignment. Mind you, she's injury prone, so throwing her into a full season with the possibility of two more events if she makes the GPF, followed by nats, 4CC, Worlds, would probably wear her out. I'm sure SC really wouldn't see it as a bad thing if she didn't get another assignment.

love_skate2011
10-28-2012, 08:35 PM
I don't think there are any spots open, but I hope if there is one that spot goes to Mirai, she is in waiiting que for a while now

smarts1
10-29-2012, 12:14 AM
So Sale/Pelletier had been to one worlds before the canadian worlds they won and placed 4th in 2000. But Osmond also I think has the potential to be top 6 or greater. Usually a big problem is that if even if you have the jumps you don have he pcs. Osmond has the pcs immediately and just needs the jumps to be there. That is unusual. Though you had that with Yuna and Mao.

I don't think Osmond will receive PCS marks even close to what she received in Skate Canada. I was :confused: at what the judges were giving her considering she really was an unknown skater until even just this season when she won Nebelhorn. As for her jumping technique, her flip and lutz have a strange lean the air and I doubt under immense pressure she'll be able to stand up on them (well she didn't stand up on the lutz in Skate Canada anyway).