PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

key65man
08-13-2013, 04:41 PM
I don't quite get this "peaking." Alicia Markova, Gelsey Kirkland, Barishnikov, etc, didn't peak at certain times of the year. They performed extremely difficult ballets day in, day out, throughout the year.

The idea of peaking is a bit misused in figure skating in my opinion. But, I do believe that the concept of “peaking” does exist in figure skating for various reasons.

Weight is one heck of critical factor in figure skating affecting all dynamic aspects of it, especially jump. For one, an increase in weight alone creates bigger inertia such that a jump gets more difficult to control.

An increase in weight requires higher “take-off velocity/speed” to achieve the same flight time necessary to do the same jump. This does two things. One, the increase in take-off speed increases the total energy of the jump, which makes the jump more difficult to control at every phase. Two, higher take-off speed usually is created by higher “gliding speed” or by a bigger knee action (deeper knee bend) of a skating leg. Higher gliding speed or a bigger knee action, in turn, affects jump consistency negatively. In this sense, weight truly is a double whammy as far as jump is concerned.

The ideal weight in eligible figure skating is as little of weight as possible, as long as it doesn’t have health consequences. Therefore, some figure skaters slowly reduce weight throughout a season even to the level that cannot be sustained over a long period of time. It can be an effective strategy when bigger competitions are placed at the end of a season. Such a strategy is mandatory for some skaters whose jump technique are flawed and therefore can support only so much weight.

Many figure skaters are young and are going through puberty or post-puberty physical maturation. Those slight changes in body affect jump and often require tuning of jumps, which affects peaking.

There is some truth about 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Figure skaters are not dancers on ice. The absolute majority of their perspiration is shed on mastering figure skating skills, not dancing skills. Because of that, it takes time for most of them to master their programs artistically. Some choreographic changes such as refinement, deletion, etc, are often necessary over the course of a season.

Consistency is about replicating a set of body motions/movements, speed, weight, etc, precisely. But, nobody can replicate every factor precisely over the course of a season. Some skaters, however, do establish better consistency simply on account of more practice accumulated.

There always is a psychological factor, as well. Some grow more confident as a season wears on. Some lose confidence because they fail to adjust/improve technically, get in better shape, master their programs, or whatnot.

For those who are well prepared technically and physically from the get-go, peaking is more or less psychological and dealing with pressure.

But, it often seems to be about the inherent mathematical probability of executing a jump successfully. Skaters will fail to execute a jump for whatever reason. It just happens. Sometimes, it happens in the early part of a season. For some unfortunate souls, at the biggest stage toward the end of a season. This is not about peaking. Just a mathematical inevitability. Nonetheless, people seem to use the probability/luck factor in the context of peaking. So, that is that.

As far as Kaetlyn is concerned, I personally think peaking is a sort of euphemism for her lack of off-season discipline this time. I hope the performance serves as a reality check for her because the condition of her abdomen may indicate a discipline issue. I am sure she will improve as the season wears on.

key65man
08-13-2013, 04:54 PM
I don't quite get this "peaking." Alicia Markova, Gelsey Kirkland, Barishnikov, etc, didn't peak at certain times of the year. They performed extremely difficult ballets day in, day out, throughout the year.

Figure skating is not a dance on ice, let alone ballet, a subgenre of dance, on ice. Figure skating has its own unique ways to demonstrate athleticism via a set of skills, which alone creates its own aesthetics that are to be “enhanced” by some elements of dance and theatre -- that is, elements of dance and theatre are not the sole ingredient of artistry of figure skating in the singles disciplines.

When dance and theatre become a main purpose of skating as often seen in gala/show pieces, it is more or less solo ice dancing, rather than figure skating for the singles disciplines, a supreme example of which is John Curry’s professional skating.

One should not approach, understand and analyze figure skating from the perspective of dance or any other sport because figure skating is rather unique (in terms of philosophy, and aesthetic and athletic manifestations) from dance or other sport though it embraces some dance elements and shares some athletic traits with other sports.

Maybe, I am reading too much into your statement. It is just that fans often wrongly believe that figure skating is a dance on ice. Because of that, they don’t really get to enjoy figure skating in its entirety.

One can appreciate the “art” of figure skating much more deeply and broadly once they shed the idea that figure skating is a dance on ice and therefore appreciate the broader spectrum of aesthetics generated by simple skating, jump or any other non-dance elements.

OliviaPug
08-13-2013, 04:58 PM
Kaetlyn is young, and can get physically up-to-speed (so to speak) relatively quickly. While I'm not a fan of these programs in their present form, I do believe Kaetlyn will work hard on them and her fitness, and will perform them beautifully. They still probably won't be my favorite programs, but I'll reserve judgment until the season gets underway.

O-

Ozzisk8tr
08-13-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm sorry if I sound negative to the people that don't understand the peaking side of figure skating, (it is not my intent) but my background is both that as a professional dancer and figure skater (and coach). You can not peak all year round on skates like you can off skates. Every single skater in the world wishes it wasn't so, but sadly it is. Re skating you just can not stay at the same level all year long (at elite level that is). You end up working your whole year's training program around peaking at the right time. It takes years to work out each skaters formula for peaking, and the lucky few get it right after much individual tweaking. For dancing I could do leaps turns and flips (I did acro too) all year long with no problems at all. Absolutely hated, and never understood why on skates my body couldn't do "elements" all the time like dancing off skates. Believe me, it's awfully frustrating for every skater at any level. In saying that, even the harder dance off skate elements don't work every single time, but it's much easier to cover an exit of a failed triple turn off skates than what it is to cover a bum splat on a triple salchow.

danafan
08-13-2013, 05:35 PM
She tweeted this today:

“@kaetlyn_23: Getting ready to board the plane to LA!!!! So excited to train there for the next couple of weeks :)”

Emdee
08-13-2013, 07:24 PM
Who is Kaetlyn training with in LA?

honey
08-13-2013, 07:39 PM
According to The Skating Lesson last week, Frank Carroll.

quartz
08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Whoa!! That's great!

Emdee
08-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Thats great news for Kaetlyn. I hope he gets her jumps under control.

overedge
08-13-2013, 08:14 PM
Thats great news for Kaetlyn. I hope he gets her jumps under control.

IMHO she's already a pretty consistent jumper. Just because she had one not-so-great competition skate doesn't mean her jumps are an ongoing problem.

Emdee
08-13-2013, 09:04 PM
IMHO she's already a pretty consistent jumper. Just because she had one not-so-great competition skate doesn't mean her jumps are an ongoing problem.

I know they are not an ongoing problem and she is fairly consistent. However if she can improve consistency she has all the hallmarks of top 5 or podium in the world. She has a lovely vivacious personality that just grabs you on the ice. I was hoarse shouting out for her at the worlds this year. Her smile lights up the whole rink.

I didnt really even think about her Alberta skate ... its way to early in the season to be concerned with her showing. As she said in one of her interviews she will rely on muscle memory more than anything else.

blueglass
08-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Are people here having a really bad summer or what's going on? Can't this girl cut a break here? Thanks to Ozzisk8r for explaining how skaters peak to those of us who never have and never will be good enough to peak at anything :) Osmond is currently in training and it's called training for a reason - neither she nor the programs are FSU ready. And I'd be really surprized if Wallia let her choose either her music or her choreography, so if you don't like them and have a professional opinion to offer, send it to him or the choreographer. I'm sure they'd appreciate feedback.

overedge
08-13-2013, 09:21 PM
I know they are not an ongoing problem and she is fairly consistent. However if she can improve consistency she has all the hallmarks of top 5 or podium in the world.

She was in the top 5 in the short program at Worlds. I don't think it's her jump consistency that is holding her back - more being new and unknown.

In other Kaetlyn-related news, her hometown in Newfoundland & Labrador was damaged by floods last week :(
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2013-08-13/article-3348022/Ministers-tour-peninsula-to-assess-flood-damage/1

clarie
08-13-2013, 10:14 PM
She states on her "Facebook" that "changes to be made" to her programs.

halffull
08-14-2013, 12:26 AM
It's early, she has tons of time to get where she needs to be for when it really matters :)