PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 [43] 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Japanfan
08-12-2013, 08:45 AM
No, this wasn't a great skate. But this is an 18 year old (I think?) preparing for her second year of senior competition and performing in August. What do you want?

I loved the personality I saw in this program. It was aggressive in a good sense - in the sense of attack - and likewise, out of control - in the sense of going for broke. A refreshing alternative to the ice princess and/or baby ballerina. And also, I love her joy and exuberance

It is quite possible that Kaetlyn is going to mature into a really interesting skater who stands out from the pack. I look forward to watching her grow.

Emdee
08-12-2013, 11:11 AM
No, this wasn't a great skate. But this is an 18 year old (I think?) preparing for her second year of senior competition and performing in August. What do you want?

I loved the personality I saw in this program. It was aggressive in a good sense - in the sense of attack - and likewise, out of control - in the sense of going for broke. A refreshing alternative to the ice princess and/or baby ballerina. And also, I love her joy and exuberance

It is quite possible that Kaetlyn is going to mature into a really interesting skater who stands out from the pack. I look forward to watching her grow.

Well said.

I recall Joanie at a similar age. She also needed a few years to mature as a skater.
Of course one wishes that last year was not a flash in the pan.

Coco
08-12-2013, 01:01 PM
She needs to ditch that Beillman from one side of the head to the other, or at least limit it's use.

shine
08-12-2013, 01:06 PM
She needs to ditch that Beillman from one side of the head to the other, or at least limit it's use.

ITA. I'm not sure why they think it's a good idea to include this move in every program?

rvi5
08-12-2013, 01:32 PM
...But this is an 18 year old (I think?)...

Her birthday is at the beginning of December, hence she is still 17 at this time.

A demonstration of balance no doubt. I'm guessing it is difficult to perform, since moving the leg from one side to the other while in an awkward position probably causes a shift of the balance point on the standing leg. The question is, do the judges appreciate it?

clarie
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
I just wish people would cut her some slack, afterall, it's just a little summer comp. But I guess it's just too much to ask of some who delight in putting young Canadian skaters down. I'm sure she will improve over the weeks and months and be competition ready when it matters.

Really
08-12-2013, 07:51 PM
I just wish people would cut her some slack, afterall, it's just a little summer comp. But I guess it's just too much to ask of some who delight in putting young Canadian skaters down. I'm sure she will improve over the weeks and months and be competition ready when it matters.For some posters, it's emphasis on Canadian skaters...:rolleyes:

One August competition does not a season make....I'll save judgement until later in the season.

PairSk8Fan
08-12-2013, 07:56 PM
For me, Kaetlyn and her skating are nice and everything, but compared to the rest of the skaters of the world, she is bland.

There is nothing remarkable about her skating, her jumps, her spins or her presentation. For me, she is forgettable.

Actually, for me, so is Joannie Rochette, that is, forgettable. Kaetlyn reminds me a lot of this feature, forgettable.

mag
08-12-2013, 08:00 PM
For me, Kaetlyn and her skating are nice and everything, but compared to the rest of the skaters of the world, she is bland.

I probably shouldn't rise to this ... but I will. Like most elite skaters, Kaetlyn has many things she could improve on. I am sure she and her team are well aware of this. That said, of all the descriptions, both positive and negative, one could use to describe Kaetlyn, IMHO, bland is definitely not one of them.

halffull
08-12-2013, 08:16 PM
^ ita with mag. Bland is about the last word I would use to describe Kaetlyn.

Rafter
08-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Her birthday is at the beginning of December, hence she is still 17 at this time.

A demonstration of balance no doubt. I'm guessing it is difficult to perform, since moving the leg from one side to the other while in an awkward position probably causes a shift of the balance point on the standing leg. The question is, do the judges appreciate it?

I don't know but it's as ugly as hell. It's just a weird looking transition move IMO.

Maybe I'll change my mind later on but right now I'm not liking either of her programs.

euterpe
08-12-2013, 11:24 PM
It's my understanding that a spin won't be credited with a Biellmann feature unless the leg is over the head. Both of Kaetlyn's are behind her head, not above it. I suspect Kaetlyn's difficulties with spins and jumps is due to her being out of shape at present. Everything looks labored. I'm sure she'll look a lot better in a couple of months.

peibeck
08-13-2013, 01:13 AM
I think Kaetlyn's SP has a lot of potential. It suits her speed, spunky attitude and freshness on the scene. Personally, I wouldn't have chosen "Sweet Charity" (aka: peppy hooker with a heart of gold) music for an Olympic program, but you can tell she seems to really enjoy skating the program.

The "Cleopatra" dirge seems like a poor choice of both music and choreography though. Even if she had skated this brilliantly, I don't think I'd buy Kaetlyn as Cleopatra. :shuffle:

shine
08-13-2013, 02:37 AM

There is nothing remarkable about her skating, her jumps, her spins or her presentation. For me, she is forgettable.

Actually, for me, so is Joannie Rochette, that is, forgettable. Kaetlyn reminds me a lot of this feature, forgettable.

I'm interested in hearing which of these upcoming young skaters you find unforgettable.

cbd1235
08-13-2013, 04:32 AM
Kaetlyn struck me as anything but bland last year. Her skating is nuanced and brimming with personality, can't ask for much more than that.

As a former skater, I appreciate the concept of peaking and firmly stand by it. I presume Kaetlyn took some time off this summer to come down from last season (another tactic I appreciate), and now she is starting her training later so as to peak at the right time this season. She peaked between Nebelhorn and Challenge last year (not that the end of her season was disastrous by any stretch), clearly a bit too early. I'm sure she will be getting it together by Skate Canada.

That said, I do not love the programs, but we'll see where she takes them going forward in the season.