PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

algonquin
08-11-2013, 07:33 PM
Kaetlyn flutzes, Is she fixing that?

Sylvia
08-12-2013, 12:13 AM
Kaetlyn Osmond's debut of her Cleopatra FS at Wild Rose: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/37191195

shutterbug
08-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Well, this is so poorly skated that it's impossible to comment on the choreography. I did not see a 3loop.

On July 31st there were two videos from her club's simulations posted to her personal facebook page. I don't know if they were posted to her fan page or not however...

Do you feel comfortable discussing her performances at the simulations vs what we've seen at Wild Rose? I'm hoping she skated them a bit more cleanly than she did here.

honey
08-12-2013, 12:19 AM
Well, this is so poorly skated that it's impossible to comment on the choreography. I did not see a 3loop.

I assume the loop would go where the sal was if it gets added. She could do the sal in the place of the second triple toe or the second double axel (depending on what the first two jumping passes are intended to be).

reese
08-12-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm surprised her coaches let her go out and compete at this event when she's clearly not in any shape to be doing so. It's honestly a bit frightening that she is this out of shape and sloppy, regardless of what time of year it is. My first thought on seeing the SP was that it was a choreographic disaster, but with this LP, I can't even comment because the choreo is so sloppy and ignored in this run through.

Emdee
08-12-2013, 01:32 AM
This is just a local competition....
I think she peaked really early last year and this year she wants to peak at the right time.

Once she is comfortable with jump layout I think she will be fine.

oliver
08-12-2013, 01:48 AM
I don't quite get this "peaking." Alicia Markova, Gelsey Kirkland, Barishnikov, etc, didn't peak at certain times of the year. They performed extremely difficult ballets day in, day out, throughout the year.

Sylvia
08-12-2013, 01:58 AM
"Periodization" is explained in Skate Canada's Guide to Long-Term Athlete Development manual: http://skatecanada.ca/portals/2/en/skate_for_life/ltad/LTAD_Eng/files/ltad%20manual.pdf

Excerpt from page 10:

7. Periodization: planning, training, competition and recovery

Simply put, designing a yearly plan is time management. It means planning the right activities with the adequate degree of difficulty and in the right sequence to reach the training and competition objectives sought. The plan must be broken down into workable units. The proper sequencing of these units is critical for success.

In order to reach optimal performance in a competition environment, the training units have to be sequenced in the following manner.

1. Development of the performance capacity of the athlete. The performance factors are: sport specific skills, routine/choreography coupled with artistic expression, physical components and mental skills
2. Integration of the performance factors in a complex and harmonious blend
3. Preparation of the athlete to perform at identified competitions.
I wonder if Kaetlyn will go to Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6) this year?

Emdee
08-12-2013, 02:11 AM
"Periodization" is explained in Skate Canada's Guide to Long-Term Athlete Development manual: http://skatecanada.ca/portals/2/en/skate_for_life/ltad/LTAD_Eng/files/ltad%20manual.pdf

Excerpt from page 10:

I wonder if Kaetlyn will go to Finlandia Trophy (Oct. 4-6) this year?
Thanks Sylvia.
I hope she gets to go to finlandia as well. I think TS will be there as well.

euterpe
08-12-2013, 02:44 AM
At the Quebec competition, Seguin and Ouellet each landed 6 triples in their FSs, and Mallet landed 4 in hers. It's all well and good for Kaetlyn to pace herself, but like it or not, comparisons are going to be made.

Sylvia
08-12-2013, 03:05 AM
Seguin and Rioux Ouellet both are preparing for the JGP (both competed at Skate Detroit last month) and Mallet started her competition season at Liberty in mid-July because she was hoping to be considered for a Senior B if she did well there (and it worked!). They are on different periodization/training schedules than Osmond.

ETA:
Last year, Osmond started her season at Skate Detroit - she finished 2nd (scored 132 combined) in her qual. group and 3rd in the Final round (scored 100) behind Hannah Miller (111) and Gracie Gold (110). Osmond subsequently skated at Wild Rose and improved her SP by about 9 points from Detroit and scored about the same in the FS (99).

leapfrogonice
08-12-2013, 03:14 AM
Wasn't Nebelhorn her big break out? I think Finlandia is quite close in terms of the calendar, to the North American Grand Prixs. Would think the opportunity to compete a bit earlier, especially if needing to travel far (to Europe) would make more sense for her.

4rkidz
08-12-2013, 06:27 AM
I don't quite get this "peaking." Alicia Markova, Gelsey Kirkland, Barishnikov, etc, didn't peak at certain times of the year. They performed extremely difficult ballets day in, day out, throughout the year.

you can't compare ballet with skating.. Having been involved with both its totally different on your cardio.. it would be better to compare to speed skating.. or any sport that combines agility and balance with cardio..you do need to peak and periodization is a key aspect of training.. the link from Sylvia will help you understand.. :)

spikydurian
08-12-2013, 07:32 AM
you can't compare ballet with skating.. Having been involved with both its totally different on your cardio.. it would be better to compare to speed skating.. or any sport that combines agility and balance with cardio..you do need to peak and periodization is a key aspect of training.. the link from Sylvia will help you understand.. :)

4rkidz, as a result of your post above, I googled 'difference between ballet and figure skating', and this showed up:

Raynal, Wes., Horse Power, Autoweek 63.11 (May 27, 2013): 16. :
We went straight to the aptly named Kentucky Horse Park not knowing what to expect. Turns out this is one tough sport. Day one's competition is called dressage. An old form of horse training, some call dressage "ballet on horseback"--think figure skating. Both horse and rider have to be athletic but elegant. The course is difficult; judges look at every precise move and review based on rider position, and the horse's pace and behavior. The goal: a stately, graceful horse and rider.

:lol: The author thinks figure skating is akin to 'ballet on horseback'. I wish to add .... "a horse (waist down) which can twist, turn, jump, gallop long and short with complicated steps", while its rider (upper body) remain upright and elegant.

Spazactaz
08-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Her jumps are just soooo out of control it's kinda terrifying. The 2A swingyness kills me.