PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Alvyne
02-11-2013, 02:27 AM
I've seen more talk about the hype than actual hype... And it's not like Kaetlyn would the first skater being hyped. What about Gracie Gold's hype before she even skated a single senior competition? And the russian girls when they were only juniors? And Max Aaron who was almost crowned Word medalist after winning US nationals? It's only criticized when Canadians do it... Must be our inferiority complex. Honestly I think most of her fans have realistic expectations. Top 10 at Worlds with a good skate.

Really
02-11-2013, 02:36 AM
Actually there were some over zealous fans at GS who were doing just that...triggering more Osmond bashing by others at that site. :(That's GS, not here. The only overhyping came from a Korean article...

We Canucks are a hardy bunch...I'm sure we'll survive whatever happens in March...

shine
02-11-2013, 02:55 AM
I believe there was a second country that also over-hyped one of their skaters. I cannot remember which country is was, however. I think it happend in the 70's.

Interesting definition of "failure" that you have. Your resume must be amazing!!
:rofl: :respec:

Actually to be accurate, the number of fans with over zealous expectations were just a small group. I think most Osmond fans are only "hoping" she can earn 2 spots for next season. For some reason, many people seem to collectively blame all Kaetlyn fans for the actions of a few.
Actually, as a big fan of Osmond's, I AM hoping for more. But there's a difference between hoping for something and outright predicting it to happen. And I don't need anyone to tell me what I should and should not be hoping for.

Cachoo
02-11-2013, 04:29 AM
LOL!

My post was a little obnoxious and didn't offer much new. I just am myself convinced that hype about Kaetlyn got quickly overboard to the point of drowning. I suppose people will get excited about things that I might disagree with, and it is not my place to critique their fandom or enthusiasm. So your point is taken. I apologize for being obnoxious.

I look for your threads and what you have to say about how the ladies are judged. It is my favorite discipline but my knowledge is only that of the casual fan. I don't know the thread title but your points about US judging were thought provoking.

shutterbug
02-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Some thoughts from Kaetlyn regarding 4CC here here (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/more-sports/canadians-duhamel-and-radford-capture-their-first-figure-skating-pairs-title/article8425459/):

“It was definitely a great experience here and I learned a lot from this competition,” said the 17-year-old Osmond. “There were a couple of mistakes but for me it was still a great preparation for the world championships.”

Just to put these results into a bit of perspective, Joannie Rochette’s first trip to 4CC was in 2002 when she was the national bronze medallist. She finished 9th. She then had the luxury of going to 4CC on 2 more occasions and twice to senior Worlds as the #2 skater (thank you Top 10 Jen!). She finished 17th at her first Worlds, but it was NBD because she wasn’t our #1 woman. Kaetlyn isn’t so lucky. Not only are we sending her to Worlds as our lone entrant with the hope that she’ll finish in the top 10, we’re doing so in a pre-Olympic year when the results determine how many spots we’ll qualify for Sochi. That’s an awful lot to ask of a just barely 17-year-old girl in her first season as senior.

Personally, I still think she has a very good chance at a top 10 finish in London. But even if she doesn’t, my optimism about her future will be in no way diminished. :) I've been around Canadian skating for many years, and Kaetlyn may be the most natually talented female skater I've ever seen here.

Marco
02-11-2013, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't be nervous if I were her. If she only qualifies 1 spot for Canadian ladies for Sochi, that spot most likely will be hers anyway. It should be Lacoste that should be nervous for Osmond at Worlds.

Habs
02-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I believe there was a second country that also over-hyped one of their skaters. I cannot remember which country is was, however. I think it happend in the 70's.

Interesting definition of "failure" that you have. Your resume must be amazing!!

I love you, Peter! :encore:

Emdee
02-11-2013, 03:53 PM
Amazing isn't it? Euterpe is worried about Kaetlyn fans and TheIronLady is concerned over Canada's sensibilities. :rolleyes:

So nice to know our 'friends' are so thoughtful and worry about us!
Another friend from up north!

Ziggy
02-11-2013, 08:49 PM
Well the cracks are beginning to show. It was to be expected, she's only human and the pressure on her is intense.

Her performances at 4CC weren't good but still I think she got totally hosed on the PCS.

She has arguably the best programs this season and they were not adequately rewarded by the judges. :mad:

Sale and Pelletier were Olympic Champions...

Yes, because of the most ridiculous decision in the history of Olympic movement, caused by huge media pressure and a bullying of a judge who eventually cracked under pressure and withdrew her scores (which she now regrets).

spikydurian
02-11-2013, 10:14 PM
:cheer2: Professordeb :swoon: (( PETERG )) :swoon: Habs:cheer2:

:D

AJ Skatefan
02-11-2013, 10:45 PM
My post was a little obnoxious and didn't offer much new.

Ya think?

Corianna
02-11-2013, 10:50 PM
I can't resist, much as I should, from pointing out that hoping for KO to place in the top five or six, is only as forlorn as hoping that Kevin Reynolds would win the FCC .

clarie
02-11-2013, 11:03 PM
I can't resist, much as I should, from pointing out that hoping for KO to place in the top five or six, is only as forlorn as hoping that Kevin Reynolds would win the FCC .

:lol: Ya never know.......much stranger things have happened :)

Corianna
02-11-2013, 11:09 PM
We should probably be a little gracious re: Maggie's apology.

Rock2
02-12-2013, 02:21 AM
I wouldn't be nervous if I were her. If she only qualifies 1 spot for Canadian ladies for Sochi, that spot most likely will be hers anyway. It should be Lacoste that should be nervous for Osmond at Worlds.

No, Daleman and Chartrand should be nervous. The ship has sailed for Amelie. She should be thankful that she skated in an era where 3 clean triples gets you a national medal. Inevitable that the world would pass you by. Happy she'll be leaving skating with a national title and a few trips to worlds.