PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Cachoo
02-10-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm not a Canadian so I'm not putting the crushing weight of expectations on Osmond. I just think there is something special about this girl. I do have high hopes for her.

Sasha'sSpins
02-10-2013, 06:08 PM
I just hope Kaetlyn as well as Gracie ignore what hype is surrounding them and both skate lights out at Worlds! :)

euterpe
02-10-2013, 09:09 PM
This is just the warm up to Worlds. And 4CCs isn't over yet-Kaetlyn could still come out fighting in the FS-although probably the best she can hope for is top 4 considering the Japanese firepower in the top 3. Hopefully once she has her first big Senior event under her belt she'll settle down some. :)

Worlds could be just as intimidating with the addition of Yu-Na, Kostner, Korpi and the Russian girls. What Kaetlyn found at 4CC was that easily beating skaters in the early fall doesn't mean you will always be able to beat them. Experienced skaters tend to peak later in the season.

The good thing now is that Kaetlyn's fans are taking a more realistic view of her chances at Worlds, one that is more in sync with Kaetlyn's goal---to finish in the top ten. And Kaetlyn should be a little more able to cope with 'opening night nerves' in March.

shine
02-10-2013, 09:11 PM
The good thing now is that Kaetlyn's fans are taking a more realistic view of her chances at Worlds, one that is more in sync with Kaetlyn's goal---to finish in the top ten. And Kaetlyn should be a little more able to cope with 'opening night nerves' in March.
Just curious - why are you so concerned about the well-being of Kaetlyn's fans, anyway? I don't recall any of her fans or commentators directly predicting that she will medal or make top 5 at Worlds, for this year. I have no idea where you are coming from.

rvi5
02-10-2013, 09:41 PM
Actually there were some over zealous fans at GS who were doing just that...triggering more Osmond bashing by others at that site. :(

spikydurian
02-10-2013, 09:42 PM
I don't know. Canadian skating expectations are so uproarious and rosy that they betray an underlying insecurity created by decades of Olympic failures. Orser, Browning, Elvis, Brasseur and Eisler, Bourne and Kratz, and even Sale and Pelletier. World Champions all, but Olympic champions none.*
I am not Canadian but I can understand their excitement when Katelyn shows promise, and I am certain they are still excited about her prospects. I will too if I am Canadian. This type of 'excitement' or over-hyping as you call it, is normal. Canadians are not the only ones who get excited over promising figure skaters. Why should Canada not being able to produce a gold Olympic medallist create insecurity? In fact, I think it should create hope but we all (including Canadians) know hope is hope, and it may or may not materialise. I would rather live in hope than bitterness. Hope is like a ray of light whereas bitterness is darkness.

bonmil
02-10-2013, 10:19 PM
Sale and Pelletier were Olympic Champions...

I don't know. Canadian skating expectations are so uproarious and rosy that they betray an underlying insecurity created by decades of Olympic failures. Orser, Browning, Elvis, Brasseur and Eisler, Bourne and Kratz, and even Sale and Pelletier. World Champions all, but Olympic champions none.*

Joannie Rochette, on her second Olympic try, managed to meet expectations. And Virtue and Moir made a first for Canada in decades by being reigning world champs in an Olympic year and acheiving an undisputed gold medal. So Canada is hopefully gaining more confidence, but I think insecurities can be fed by over-hyping skaters.

clarie
02-10-2013, 10:24 PM
I am not Canadian but I can understand their excitement when Katelyn shows promise, and I am certain they are still excited about her prospects. I will too if I am Canadian. This type of 'excitement' or over-hyping as you call it, is normal. Canadians are not the only ones who get excited over promising figure skaters. Why should Canada not being able to produce a gold Olympic medallist create insecurity? In fact, I think it should create hope but we all (including Canadians) know hope is hope, and it may or may not materialise. I would rather live in hope than bitterness. Hope is like a ray of light whereas bitterness is darkness.

Well said....my sentiments exactly. :)

Mayra
02-10-2013, 10:37 PM
Just curious - why are you so concerned about the well-being of Kaetlyn's fans, anyway?

Amazing isn't it? Euterpe is worried about Kaetlyn fans and TheIronLady is concerned over Canada's sensibilities. :rolleyes:

rvi5
02-10-2013, 10:46 PM
Worlds could be just as intimidating with the addition of Yu-Na, Kostner, Korpi and the Russian girls.
One thing Kaetlyn has going for her in London is the cheering Canadian crowd. I am not saying the crowd will necessarily directly influence the judges (although it may be possible). However, the fans will almost certainly energize Kaetlyn with their support. It didn't appear to me she had as much attack in her SP at 4CC as she had at SCI and Nationals. She may have been nervous and more cautious, or it could be because she was not energized by a loud cheering audience. Perhaps both.

ETA:

The good thing now is that Kaetlyn's fans are taking a more realistic view of her chances at WorldsActually to be accurate, the number of fans with over zealous expectations were just a small group. I think most Osmond fans are only "hoping" she can earn 2 spots for next season. For some reason, many people seem to collectively blame all Kaetlyn fans for the actions of a few.

PeterG
02-10-2013, 11:56 PM
So Canada is hopefully gaining more confidence, but I think insecurities can be fed by over-hyping skaters.

I believe there was a second country that also over-hyped one of their skaters. I cannot remember which country is was, however. I think it happend in the 70's.

Interesting definition of "failure" that you have. Your resume must be amazing!!

professordeb
02-11-2013, 12:53 AM
I believe there was a second country that also over-hyped one of their skaters. I cannot remember which country is was, however. I think it happend in the 70's.

Interesting definition of "failure" that you have. Your resume must be amazing!!

Awwwww Peter, you just continue to keep me in love with you! ;)

manhn
02-11-2013, 01:12 AM
I don't remember one instance of other countries placing high expectations on their skaters. Never ever. If Kaetlyn only ends up second in Sochi, I'm sure one of our other Canadian babies will pick up the slack.

TheIronLady
02-11-2013, 01:24 AM
LOL!

My post was a little obnoxious and didn't offer much new. I just am myself convinced that hype about Kaetlyn got quickly overboard to the point of drowning. I suppose people will get excited about things that I might disagree with, and it is not my place to critique their fandom or enthusiasm. So your point is taken. I apologize for being obnoxious.

The Accordion
02-11-2013, 01:30 AM
Awwwww Peter, you just continue to keep me in love with you! ;)

ditto this.

Now where is that handy dandy little ignore button?