PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Rock2
02-08-2013, 02:52 AM
TSN has also named her one of 10 Canadians to watch in Sochi. Wow, I expected this if she had a good result in London, not before! I guess she's not sneaking up on anyone anymore.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=415288

Rock2
02-08-2013, 03:00 AM
I really hope the pressure/expectations don't start freaking her out. She seems grounded and level-headed now, but I have the feeling there is going to be a lot of media attention on her. I want her to stay strong because I have not been this excited about a young woman's skating talent in a very long time. She is my new favorite girl!! Hoping for a top 10 at Worlds!

I think she'd have to have a meltdown not to make top 10. Her international scores all year have her well within range and looking at the field in London, she's should easily beat half the field and then would only need to pass one of the A list which includes 3 Japanese, 1 Korean, 1 Italian, 2 Americans, 1 Finn and 2 Russians. Just has to get past one of those and she's good. I like her chances.

Still if she does have a rough skate I will quote this comment and encourage everyone to take it in stride. She's not going to be perfect. Everyone has a rough one. She has skated too well under pressure all year to think she'll come off the rails. Among her 4 skates between 4CC and Worlds, I'm expecting one to be a disappointment. No big.

demetriosj
02-08-2013, 09:47 PM
TSN has also named her one of 10 Canadians to watch in Sochi. Wow, I expected this if she had a good result in London, not before! I guess she's not sneaking up on anyone anymore.

http://www.tsn.ca/olympics/story/?id=415288

Does Osmond attend a brick and mortar high school, or does she take online classes/homeschool?

Habs
02-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Does Osmond attend a brick and mortar high school, or does she take online classes/homeschool?

IIRC, she attends a high school in Edmonton that runs a special sports academy program - meaning, she attends classes in the mornings and skates in the afternoons.

Flora
02-08-2013, 10:39 PM
IIRC, she attends a high school in Edmonton that runs a special sports academy program - meaning, she attends classes in the mornings and skates in the afternoons.

This is correct. She attends a public high school that caters to elite/dedicated athletes (Vimy Ridge Academy). Reading the article from Golden Skate, it sounds like she lives a fairly normal life for someone who is at a high level in their sport. Still goes to school, does her homework, and finds time for friends and whatnot. Maybe having a somewhat normal school schedule helps her balance it all out so that she's not only focused on skating.

clarie
02-08-2013, 11:21 PM
I am somewhat disappointed that there have been no practise reports for her at 4CC. Is she really that much of a non-entity there? Or perhaps it's intentional.

rvi5
02-08-2013, 11:45 PM
Someone created a practice report thread at GS, but it appears the only skater being discussed is Asada.

clarie
02-09-2013, 12:15 AM
Yes, and she is not the only hard working skater there, nor the only one worth mentioning. Oh well, I suppose Kaetlyn can come out and surprise everyone, I hope. I'm sure the Japanese audience will love her, and it's probably ok that she's very much under the radar there. I hope she skate with her ususal abandon and joy and does well.

sleepypanda
02-09-2013, 01:18 AM
Although not as much Asada, she is being talked about. (It's just in Japanese...) Most recent fan reports (from this morning's official practice) on twitter says she's looking lively and her jumps are huge.

shutterbug
02-09-2013, 02:03 AM
From Kaetlyn’s official Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/KaetlynOsmondCFS?ref=ts&fref=ts

Kaetlyn has been having good practices. Getting better as the week progresses. Getting over the time change (16 hours from Edmonton to Osaka!! She is very excited and hyper anticipating the start of the event.

“very excited and hyper” - I’ll bet! :lol: She is such a natural competitor. During the SP warm-up at Canadians, Alaine Chartand landed her 3lutz-3toe at one end of the rink. Kaetlyn, who was at the other end of the rink, looked up when she heard the applause, then promptly marched down the ice and did HER 3toe-3toe in the same spot. :D I have a feeling she’s not going to be easily intimidated once she gets some experience under her belt.

clarie
02-09-2013, 02:15 AM
Thank you both......that's more info than I'd hoped for.......checked out the facebook page too :)

Mayra
02-09-2013, 03:12 AM
As much as I would like practice reports, I think it's great Kaetlyn is able to go into this competition without the added pressure of having people analyze her every practice move. This is only her 3rd(?) senior international and while the spotlight is nice, so is skating under the radar. Something tells me this won't always be the case. ;)

euterpe
02-09-2013, 08:13 AM
Kaetlyn had a rough SP at 4CC, falling on the flip. She says she doesn't feel the pressure, but this was her first REALLY big competition and it seems it did get to her. It has to be hard for her to handle the hype and the expectations that come with it.

Sasha'sSpins
02-09-2013, 08:42 AM
Kaetlyn had a rough SP at 4CC, falling on the flip. She says she doesn't feel the pressure, but this was her first REALLY big competition and it seems it did get to her. It has to be hard for her to handle the hype and the expectations that come with it.

This is just the warm up to Worlds. And 4CCs isn't over yet-Kaetlyn could still come out fighting in the FS-although probably the best she can hope for is top 4 considering the Japanese firepower in the top 3. Hopefully once she has her first big Senior event under her belt she'll settle down some. :)

Mayra
02-09-2013, 09:48 AM
This is just the warm up to Worlds. And 4CCs isn't over yet-Kaetlyn could still come out fighting in the FS-although probably the best she can hope for is top 4 considering the Japanese firepower in the top 3. Hopefully once she has her first big Senior event under her belt she'll settle down some. :)

Agreed. :)

Better here than at worlds I say!