PDA

View Full Version : Kaetlyn Osmond - Canada's hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Marco
11-08-2012, 02:55 AM
Polina S's issues are not just about jumps. Her programs, her skating, her posture etc are all disastrous.

But I digress. If she withdraws from NHK, Osmond is the obvious choice, but just like Nagasu got passed over several times for TEB, I am not so sure the strongest out of the 5 alternates would be picked, and that's just sad.

Habs
11-08-2012, 03:00 AM
Polina S's issues are not just about jumps. Her programs, her skating, her posture etc are all disastrous.

But I digress. If she withdraws from NHK, Osmond is the obvious choice, but just like Nagasu got passed over several times for TEB, I am not so sure the strongest out of the 5 alternates would be picked, and that's just sad.

ITA. She should be given another GP assignment, but it sounds like Osmond and her team have their heads on straight and are preparing for the season either way.

Sylvia
11-08-2012, 03:33 AM
I read somewhere that Polina S will not be at NHK.
Can you provide a link or source please?

Emdee
11-08-2012, 10:30 AM
Can you provide a link or source please?

Tatyana flade twitter

Tracer
11-08-2012, 10:58 AM
I read somewhere that Polina S will not be at NHK. will Kaetlyn now have a chance in Japan? Or will this spot be filled by someone else.

Just speculation only at this time.

This is where I think Skate Canada will earn their pay. As I said previously in the Kaetlyn Osmond thread on the main board. I think Skate Canada does the best job of promoting their skaters and making sure they place them in positions to succeed. No one could of foretold that Kaetlyn would come out of no where and win the Skate Canada grand prix, but in the world of skating. There is politics within the federations. And Skate Canada in essence gave Japan a free chance to take the ladies grand prix and get those crucial points for the final. With the exception of Kaetlyn's surprise win, Japan came out of Skate Canada with Aikiko and Kanako getting silver and bronze and key points for the final.

If Skate Canada were to submit Kaetlyn's name forward, the Japan Skate Federation would be hard pressed to refuse Kaetlyn because Skate Canada gave the Japanese skaters easy slots to win medals in their grand prix. Its the federations themselves that decide which skater skates at their grand prix, so Skate Canada scratched the Japanese back and even with Kaetlyn winning Skate Canada, the Japanese may be forced to return the favor despite not being too thrilled about it.

We'll see if I am anywhere close to this hunch.

clarie
11-08-2012, 12:10 PM
It's a good hunch Tracer, but I would be very much surprised if it happened. Then again, I hope I'm surprised ;)

Sylvia
11-08-2012, 01:24 PM
Tatyana flade twitter
Thank you. :) I've posted this reliable hearsay info in the GP Alternates thread in GSD.

euterpe
11-11-2012, 03:41 AM
Shelepen has still not been formally withdrawn. Perhaps Russia is waiting until it's too late for a replacement. That would ensure Osmond doesn't make the GPF.

PeterG
11-11-2012, 04:17 AM
Shelepen has still not been formally withdrawn. Perhaps Russia is waiting until it's too late for a replacement. That would ensure Osmond doesn't make the GPF.

oh those russians!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg)

spikydurian
11-11-2012, 07:17 AM
oh those russians!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvDMlk3kSYg)
:lol: Been a long time I last heard this song!

euterpe
11-11-2012, 03:37 PM
Russia's never been in a hurry to report withdrawals. Artur Dmitriev was withdrawn from CoC on October 28th, 4 days before the start of the event.

Rock2
11-11-2012, 03:46 PM
I think Kaetlyn could very well make the GPF if she went to NHK. I think even a 4th could get her in as I'm projecting a log jam at 24 points. She wins the first tie breaker with a 1st being her best result.
Skating in Sochi before Olympics would be invaluable experience.

Having said that, I think SC sees benefits to slowing her pacing and not going to NHK/GPF. She can get lots of work in skating at the Challenge, Nationals, 4CC and Worlds. Much more than that could burn her out by the time London comes around. Plus at the challenge she can try out her 3F/3T and 3L in prep for the rest of the season.

Somehow if SC really wants her at NHK they'll place a call. Question will be how much does that matter to the federation?

euterpe
11-11-2012, 04:10 PM
What good would 'placing a call' do if there is no vacancy at the moment? Whom would they call? The Russian federation? The US federation? The Japanese federation?

Rock2
11-11-2012, 04:35 PM
I think the discussion here is all about scenario planning because of the apparent withdrawal of Shelepen. I think for most of us here it goes without saying that the withdrawal has to be formalized before any action is taken...although I wouldn't be surprised if Federations are talking to each other to get ahead of the game. No way for us to know.

hohoho
11-14-2012, 03:53 PM
Well Osmond didn't get Shelepen's spot (given to Nagasu). Just saw this morning that Czisny has WD from NHK. With the time frame, Japan is not obligated to fill that spot. Czisny just last weekend WD from an ice show in Phoenix. Would make you think that USFSA delayed notifying Japan until the deadline to replace had passed. Be interesting to see how Osmond progresses with all this training time leading up to 4CC and possibly Worlds.