PDA

View Full Version : NHLers booted off the ice by figure skating coach

Pages : 1 [2]

aliceanne
09-28-2012, 04:50 PM
I can't complain about hockey too much. We never had year-round ice or multi-surface rinks in my area until hockey became popular. You were either dressed in 20 layers or skating on an inch of water.

purple skates
09-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Stick handle, shoot, fight, spit - yes. Back crossovers....sadly no.

Watch the defensemen. That they can skate that well backwards on hockey skates is amazing. (If you've ever tried hockey skates you know what I mean). Plus, hockey the game isn't made for long powerful strokes and deep edges. It's made for fast movements, speed, and quick reactions.

FWIW, hockey players from tots on up do spend time doing back crossover drills in practice, but the reality of hockey is that it is a forward-skating sport - they prefer to skate forward. I would hazard to guess most figure skaters prefer to skate backwards - I know I do. Forward power circles are hard! :yikes:

(As you can tell, I have a lot of respect for hockey. My son played for nine years. When he started I knew nothing about the sport except that they took all our ice time. Now, I understand and like the sport.)