PDA

View Full Version : The Japanese Skaters May Pull Out Of Cup Of China

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

missing
09-23-2012, 12:55 PM
The federation is demanding "cast-iron" guarantees of their safety. (http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/09/23/us-figure-skating-japan-china-idUSBRE88M04D20120923)

Eislauffan
09-23-2012, 01:40 PM
I actually thought about how this unrest might affect the Japanese skaters. Hopefully things will have calmed down by November. A few years back there was a similar situation with anti-Japanese protests in China (over how World War II was reflected in Japanese school books, I think). The Japanese skaters competed at Cup of China and felt that they were very welcomed by the audience. The fans luckily are not drawn into this politicial controversy.

It would be really sad if the skaters had to withdraw because of security fears. They probably would not be reassigned to other GP events.

Marco
09-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Some of the stories I heard were quite terrifying. While I am not as worried about how the Japanese skaters might be treated by fans, but I am quite worried about how they might be treated by others in the city, from airport to hotel.

By the same token, I wish the USFS would consider carefully about sending Nagasu.

love_skate2011
09-23-2012, 04:30 PM
^ I hope not, so much depth in Cup of China competition

Nagasu ? :confused: she is American
I doubt anyone would know she is Japanese or consider her one
as she was born and raised in the US

Sylvia
09-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Well, Nagasu looks Japanese. :P

Side note: Lexus (of Toyota Motor Co.) is this year's title sponsor of Cup of China:
http://www.lexus.com.cn/en/news/Info.aspx?id=400
Excerpt from the Aug. 28, 2012 press release:

Starting with the title sponsorship of the Cup of China, Lexus will provide long-term and comprehensive support for the development of figure skating in China. During the signing ceremony, Lexus also announced the launch of “Lexus Figure Skating Open Day”, which is an equally exciting program under which free figure skating trainings will be provided for young people in China on a regular basis. Akira Sasaki, Chairman of Toyota Motor (China) Investment Co., Ltd. said, “There are children with no access to this elegant sport. We value the desire cherished by each and every child. We hope that with this program, we can help children in China to pursue their dreams in the skating rink.” The open day program will be a long-term initiative. After the first year in Beijing, the program will also be staged in other Chinese cities, so that the enchanting beauty of figure skating could be appreciated by young people everywhere in the country.

jlai
09-23-2012, 04:34 PM
I share Marco's concern. Non-fans would just look at her last name and make assumptions about her nationality

Sylvia
09-23-2012, 04:37 PM
But how would "non-fans" know or see Nagasu's name?

I assume the Chinese federation, through the government, would be able to provide all the necessary security for the Japanese skaters (Tatsuki Machida and Takahashi/Tran are also scheduled to compete) if they decide to make it a priority.

seabm7
09-23-2012, 04:52 PM
If I remember correctly, Nagasu has dual citizenships.

jlai
09-23-2012, 04:52 PM
IDs, credit cards, newspaper articles about the event? For casual viewers, skating videos or perhaps TV coverage?

Anyway, I really don't know the answer to the question. But I do know some don't distinguish strongly between Chinese/Japanese and Chinese/Japanese Americans

kirkbiggestfan
09-23-2012, 05:15 PM
In the worse case scenario, I hope that the ISU steps up and reassign the Japanese skaters to other GP. You can have a competition with 12 skaters instead of 10...just like not so long ago.

Sparks
09-23-2012, 05:32 PM
If I remember correctly, Nagasu has dual citizenships.

I think Japan does not allow dual citizenship.

love_skate2011
09-23-2012, 05:36 PM

my thoughts exactly, If I remember by the time he/she turns to 21
he/se needs to choose the citizenship and will have to give up the other
if he/she wants to be a japanese citizen

Japan has one the hardest citizenship procedures in the whole world

Skittl1321
09-23-2012, 05:37 PM

They do for children up to a certain age. You have to decide at the age of 20 or 22 (different sources say different ages...). The Shibutani's also have dual citizenship under this law.

ETA: Man, someone beat me to it while I was posting.

Eislauffan
09-23-2012, 06:03 PM
The protests in China were directed against Japanese shops, restaurants, embassy etc, not necessarily against individuals. I don't think that a mob would gather and attack skaters. I also don't think that protesters would gather in front of the ice rink (which is out of town anyway) or buy tickets to get into the rink and protest there. There was speculation on how some of the protests were arranged behind the scenes by authorities, at least they were tolerated. The Cup of China is not a "Japanese" event, Japanese athletes are just taking part alongside skaters from many other countries. So the competition does not seem like a target for anti-Japanese protests, if orchestrated or not.

Stupid politics, anyway. They just should divide those islands between them.

Vash01
09-23-2012, 06:31 PM
I think if the skaters and the JSF is worried about the safety in China, it is very understandable for them to skip the competition. How can anyone 'guarantee' safety? There are a lot of crazy people in the world.