PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Iceman
10-09-2012, 12:35 AM
One thing about Evan, he can be counted on to be prepared. I will be interested to see how his DWTS experience affects his skating and choreography.

centerpt1
10-09-2012, 12:36 AM
I don't quite "get" Abbott's SP yet. Looks like there may be gloves as gloves and gloves as guns? Also it was difficult for me to switch between suave spy and hip spy. I usually love his work (jumps or no) so hopefully I'll figure it out watching SA.

Hopefully the two weeks will help and he'll look more prepared to skate those two programs at SA.

victoriaheidi
10-09-2012, 01:18 AM
"Bring Him Home" is a beautiful program. My only concern is his jump placement. Obviously, that wasn't the fully competitive version, but should he really be placing next to no jumps in the beginning and the majority of his jumps at the end? Risky choice for Jeremy, but I love that program.

skatefan102
10-09-2012, 02:02 AM
Hopefully the two weeks will help and he'll look more prepared to skate those two programs at SA.

the question is is two weeks enough. He got his programs really late and then he got a really early GP assignment. I hope he can pull them all together in time.

victoriaheidi
10-09-2012, 02:48 AM
Also, forgive me if I missed it, but did Nathan Chen get a diagnosis?

Sylvia
10-09-2012, 03:21 AM
Also, forgive me if I missed it, but did Nathan Chen get a diagnosis?
If he has, it hasn't been publicized. On a positive note, his injury didn't seem to keep him from doing some walking/touring around the old city of Zagreb from a few photos I've seen online.

jlai
10-09-2012, 03:41 AM
I'd love to know he's okay, though I must giggle a little at Chen being discussed in a US Men's thread. :)

pinky166
10-09-2012, 04:40 AM
Maybe so, but I think both Hanyu and Kozuka have vulnerabilities. Of course, if they both lay it down, they will be difficult to beat. And too, Kozuka is a former silver medalist, and Hanyu is the current World bronze medalist. And two Japanese men were on the podium at Worlds in 2011. However, in any given competition, anyone is beatable.

I agree the U.S. men have stepped it up a notch. They've had to. Rooting for them all to do well this season and to be strongly and consistently competitive!

Hanyu will be tough to beat. As for Kozuka, he kind of tanked most of last season, so while I like to hope he's back on track now and will return to his late 2011 form, we'll have to wait and see. Certainly his scores and placements from last season show he's vulnerable. Hanyu seems more consistent and a stronger competitor in general, but he's also so young that he could still potentially be dealing with body changes that require adjustment. We'll have to see. As of right now, both these guys, along with Javi and Dai, look to be in good form. And Richard. The Czech and French men, otoh, seem quite rusty/not ready yet. But it's early and that could change.

misskarne
10-09-2012, 04:42 AM
I'd love to know he's okay, though I must giggle a little at Chen being discussed in a US Men's thread. :)

Figure Skating: Where Thirteen Year Olds Are Men.

:lol:

Jokes aside, I hope it's not serious. Which Regional/Sectional thingywhatsy does he have to do? How long does he have?

Sylvia
10-09-2012, 04:49 AM
Nathan Chen has a bye through his Regionals (Central Pacific) this month and so his next scheduled competition is Pacific Coast Sectionals, November 9-13, to qualify for Nationals.

BTW, confirmation that 2011 U.S. Junior silver medalist Alex Zahradnicek is skating now for France is in the French Masters article I posted in the French skating news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3706314#post3706314

Alexander Zahradnicek, the former U.S. competitor who is coached in Wilmington, Del., by Priscilla Hill and former jumping whiz Vincent Restencourt, came to skate in France for the first time and plans to represent France in the following years.

victoriaheidi
10-09-2012, 05:20 AM

Lol, I know. :p His brother and I go to the same school, and I remember once having a conversation like this in our class FB group (before I knew they were brothers):

Guy we go to school with named Nathan Chen: something random
His brother: Woah, that's my little bro's name!
Me: It's also the name of a US Men's skater I love.
His Brother: Dude, that's my brother...but he's not a man!

LOL

ETA: I haven't crossed paths with the elder Chen (aside from facebook), so I couldn't just ask him for an update on his brother.

aftershocks
10-09-2012, 07:16 AM
Granted, I am a frustrated Jeremy über, but that SP is freakin' AMAZING -- if he hits cleanly, he will demolish the competition.

ETA: Just watched Abbot's FS for the first time -- absolutely gorgeous and sublime :swoon:, but he's GOT to land the jumps in order to win :wall:.

He also gets massive props for continuing to use music that is not overused and creating programs that push the artistic level.

Benji Schwimmer has the potential to become a kickass choreographer for figure skating -- he's two-for-two now with Abbott....I would like to see what he can do for Ice Dance (if he's already choreographed for anyone else, I'm not aware of it :o :shuffle: ).

ITA! The more I watch both of Jeremy's new programs, the more mesmerized I become. Very cool sp -- love that kickin' hip hop dance move he does close to the end ... and the ending itself is classic and iconic, but still unexpected! :cool: And remember, he's performing under show lights on crappy ice. Can't wait to see these programs in competition. Stay cool and in the zone, Jeremy. Find a way to make nerves work for you. Release, and let go while maintaining balance and edge. Go into the gap between thoughts and rock it. You are the bomb!

There's so much to be revealed in his fp with repeat viewings. Looking forward to seeing the full version in competition. :cheer:

Jaana
10-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Okay, I'll play -- What a beautiful Rippon Lutz-Dornbush Toe! :D

Shouldn´t that be called Tano lutz after Boitano?

Skittl1321
10-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Shouldn´t that be called Tano lutz after Boitano?

Tano is one hand overhead, Rippon two. He was doing a Rippon.

Ziggy
10-10-2012, 04:39 AM
How about calling the jumps with two arms overhead jumps with two arms overhead? :shuffle:

I don't think Evan's 3A is under rotated. It won't get any + GOE but don't see any reason why it would get - GOE.

It's always been clearly and significantly pre-rotated.