PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

Sylvia
02-06-2013, 03:27 PM
^^^ It was obvious that the program was tweaked for Nationals but not obvious who tweaked it - sorry for not being clearer earlier.

Rippon mentioned before Nationals (http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/news.html) that his "free program is filled with many new steps and changes in layout" and the hearsay info I received was that Seibert wasn't involved in re-working the choreography. I've also seen a copy of USFS' media guide for 2013 Nationals, and it listed Rafael Arutunian and Nadia Kanaeva as additional choreographers to Seibert. I have no recollection of what Scott Hamilton said on NBC - I tune him out most of the time. ;)

sk9tingfan
02-06-2013, 03:47 PM
^^^ It was obvious that the program was tweaked for Nationals but not obvious who tweaked it - sorry for not being clearer earlier.

Rippon mentioned before Nationals (http://www.figureskatersonline.com/adamrippon/news.html) that his "free program is filled with many new steps and changes in layout" and the hearsay info I received was that Seibert wasn't involved in re-working the choreography. I've also seen a copy of USFS' media guide for 2013 Nationals, and it listed Rafael Arutunian and Nadia Kanaeva as additional choreographers to Seibert. I have no recollection of what Scott Hamilton said on NBC - I tune him out most of the time. ;)

Re Hamilton: So wise to do that. I was listening to NBC's beginning of the countdown to Sochi who was using Hamilton as their commentator. Of course he only focused on the Men and the Women's chances for medals (Evan skated an exhibition number afterwards). I immediately tweeted to him, asking him why he did not mention our best chance for a gold medal there was Meryl Davis and Charlie White.:(

SkateFan66
02-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Re Hamilton: So wise to do that. I was listening to NBC's beginning of the countdown to Sochi who was using Hamilton as their commentator. Of course he only focused on the Men and the Women's chances for medals (Evan skated an exhibition number afterwards). I immediately tweeted to him, asking him why he did not mention our best chance for a gold medal there was Meryl Davis and Charlie White.:(

Earlier in the Today Show broadcast, they did a preview and mentioned that Davis and White were best hope for FS gold. In Scott's segment, they probably focused on the FS events that garner the best ratings. Last Olympics, the ice dance was the least watched FS event.

sk9tingfan
02-06-2013, 04:21 PM
Earlier in the Today Show broadcast, they did a preview and mentioned that Davis and White were best hope for FS gold. In Scott's segment, they probably focused on the FS events that garner the best ratings. Last Olympics, the ice dance was the least watched FS event.

Thanks for the clarification and sorry that I missed that.

aftershocks
02-06-2013, 05:53 PM

Okay, wow, re Scott's comments. That's a perfect example of how erroneous info gets bandied about, purposely or otherwise. Sorry to ignominiously albeit innocently have been a party to that happening in this instance. :lol: :P

And, as usual Sylvia, thanks for the heads up! :) I guess it would be nice to be able to develop your faculty in regard to most of what SH blathers during broadcasts. :shuffle: But, Scott and Sandra seem to be fixtures on NBC -- sort of like the statues on Mount Rushmore. They are probably really nice people most of the time, and on occasion I have found them to say a few things worthwhile, but it's too often few and far between. In any case, they've both made exemplary contributions to the sport in other respects.

Iceman
02-06-2013, 06:04 PM
Evan skated a modified version of the short program he had planned for this season. I guess he will carry it over to next year unless he becomes bored with it.

apatinar
02-07-2013, 02:14 AM

Well, imagine the regular non-skating fan watching figure skating during the Olympics having trouble figuring out the scoring with singles and pairs where there are actual jumps and spins.. Ask them how they think ice dancing is judged with people just hopping around on the ice and they would be totally clueless..For that reason Ice Dancing will always be the least viewed during the Olympics no matter how strong the team is..

SkateFan66
02-07-2013, 02:24 AM
Well, imagine the regular non-skating fan watching figure skating during the Olympics having trouble figuring out the scoring with singles and pairs where there are actual jumps and spins.. Ask them how they think ice dancing is judged with people just hopping around on the ice and they would be totally clueless..For that reason Ice Dancing will always be the least viewed during the Olympics no matter how strong the team is..

Most of my friends that only watch figure skating during the Olympics do not watch ice dance because they find it boring, and question how "dancing" qualifies as an Olympic sport.

YukiNieve
02-07-2013, 01:16 PM
One of the top articles on MSN website this morning has the picture of Ross and the link to the article featuring him.
:rollin:

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/sochi-russia-2014-winter-olympics-team-usa-looks-to-build-on-vancouver-2010-020613?

Today marks one year until Sochi Olympic Games begins.

zaphyre14
02-07-2013, 01:33 PM
I heard that Ross Miner was invited to be the guest skater at the Bay State Games gala exhibition of champions in Williamstown, MA on Feb. 16.

apatinar
02-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Most of my friends that only watch figure skating during the Olympics do not watch ice dance because they find it boring, and question how "dancing" qualifies as an Olympic sport.

Honestly , I don't even know how it qualifies as an Olympic sport and I am a huge figure skating fan... I stopped watching dance a long time ago because out of all the disciplines, the results seem to be the most rigged.. There were other threads recently about how people who are not necessarily the best dancers but had the most money were winning medals because they happened to buy the best partners... I don't understand that at all....
And they want to bring ballroom dancing to the summer Olympics??? I don't know....

vesperholly
02-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Alexander Johnson (7th at Nationals) and Brandon Mroz (9th) are on the entry list for the Challenge Cup in The Hague, Netherlands (Feb. 21-24) - see event thread started in the Kiss and Cry forum. This was be Johnson's first senior international since 2009 Finlandia Trophy!

Yay for Johnson!! :cheer2: I hope he can get some fall internationals next season.

luenatic
02-07-2013, 04:56 PM
One of the top articles on MSN website this morning has the picture of Ross and the link to the article featuring him.
:rollin:

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/story/sochi-russia-2014-winter-olympics-team-usa-looks-to-build-on-vancouver-2010-020613?

Best of luck to Ross. I hope Ross and Alexander can both make it to the Olympics.

Sylvia
02-07-2013, 06:28 PM
Thanks! I've started a new Ross Miner thread in GSD with your article link: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?86958-Ross-Miner-quot-Being-an-Olympic-hopeful-it%92s-a-lot-of-hard-work-quot

Before he departed for 4CC in Japan, Richard Dornbush spoke about how he has dealt with injury this season: http://blog.pe.com/jim-alexander/2013/02/04/skating-icetowns-dornbush-headed-for-japan/

It has been an interesting and sometimes agonizing season for Dornbush, who has dealt with a nagging injury to his right ankle (his landing foot) and also worked through the flu at the national championships in Omaha.

“I was feeling really, really strong coming into this season, and just this sort of string of … I don’t want to say bad luck, but string of incidents has sort of held me back a lot,” Dornbush said last week. “I got a cortisone injection a couple of weeks before nationals. (The injury) held me back a little bit mentally.”

But he didn’t feel he had the luxury of taking three or four weeks off to heal. He first hurt himself, he said, “literally a week” before leaving for a competition in Moscow in early November. Two weeks after that, he had a competition in Japan.

“I had no time to rest it,” he said. “I had to merely do pain management. That definitely aggravated it and made it difficult to heal. After that, I was able to take two weeks off just because I had to. I need to take more time off for it to heal, but that’s how much I could afford to take off before the national championships so I could be in reasonable fighting shape.”

Fudove
02-08-2013, 03:44 PM
It makes sense that a physical injury could compromise your confidence. Last minute entry was the best senario for Ricky so not to get stressed over expectations. Thanks for the link, I never put the two together.