PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

pinky166
01-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Max Aaron's basics are fine. His artistry needs work, I'll give you that, but he in no way has bad basics nor is his skating inferior in any aspects. He may not just be everyone's cup of tea. He only won because Ross popped his second 3a and Jeremy made mistakes anyways, can't blame the kid for going out and landing everything he planned in his program. I think he will do great at Worlds.

I still want Ricky and Josh to go to Sochi, however.

Ziggy
01-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Max Aaron's basics are fine. His artistry needs work, I'll give you that, but he in no way has bad basics nor is his skating inferior in any aspects.

Just off the top of my head: He's slouched, he has shallow edges and needs to scrape a lot of small cross-overs in order to generate speed (it looks like he's running on a treadmill). His movements are off-time most of the time.

Andrey aka Pushkin
01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Sooooo, are Americans again going to send some obscure skaters and miss spots for the Olympics? :lol:
There MUST be something between the American "ah, we are so strict" and the Russian "we do what we want" approaches :lol:

Personally, I find Aaron pretty much unbearable, quads or not. He's so unfinished, unpolished and immature... Don't think he's going to have any favors from the judges on the international scene.

Ziggy
01-30-2013, 11:39 AM
Aaron won US International Figure Skating Classic getting really high PCS from the judges after he landed his jumps. :/

If he skates near clean programs at Worlds, he'll get 7s. Like Kovtun at Euros. Who needs choreo? :P

dots
01-30-2013, 11:47 AM
After breaking your back there is not much upper flexibility.

Sorry but that is/will be part of his skating. However, I do think we can get him to feel the music a bit better much much BETTER!!

Glad he won nationals*

Andrey aka Pushkin
01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Dunno. His movements are so small, the skating is rushed and he reminds me of Stojko not in a good way.
A smallest flop and he's going to be dropped, esp. given the incredible level of men lately.
I respect the "fair principles" of US fed, but this is the second time in 3 years that I find it rather stupid.

misskarne
01-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Good point.

However, I am still in favour of FREE MAX AARON!

MarieM
01-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Just off the top of my head: He's slouched, he has shallow edges and needs to scrape a lot of small cross-overs in order to generate speed (it looks like he's running on a treadmill). His movements are off-time most of the time.
Ah so I'm not the only one who doesn't get his placement then. I think I figured it out! The US is making sure someone else will win the olys :) So they must select their worst skater :)

VarBar
01-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Maybe some people haven't noticed yet that the era of the quads is back? And that Max Aaron just landed a quad/triple in his short program and two more quads in his free skate? I know, I know, there's more to figure skating than just jumps and Aaron may not be an artistic skater but the US male skating wasn't getting anywhere with artistic Abbott and artistic Rippon anyway, sorry to say this.:slinkaway

For what it's worth, I was rooting for Ross Miner to win Nationals last week.

LilJen
01-30-2013, 02:05 PM

Sorry but that is/will be part of his skating. However, I do think we can get him to feel the music a bit better much much BETTER!!

Glad he won nationals*

Jeremy Abbott has broken his back, too. Ain't no excuse to slouch. :P

jlai
01-30-2013, 02:20 PM
For those who dont think Max should go to worlds, who else do you think could be sent in his place? It was not exactly a lights out nationals, and the US men didnt do so well at the gp either

pingu
01-30-2013, 02:46 PM
There MUST be something between the American "ah, we are so strict" and the Russian "we do what we want" approaches :lol:

The Italian approach "ah, we are so strict...oh wait, we actually do want we want!" :P

olympic
01-30-2013, 04:48 PM
I am enjoying the conversation above re Max Aaron.

Both sides make good points -

Max can jump, but his other elements and PCS leave something to be desired. Therefore, he risks getting hammered with low scores at Worlds a la Bradley.

OTOH, 'artistic' skaters with potential to score big have not been getting the job done either.

I feel that it is what it is. The US would've probably had the same shot of getting 3 spots back w/ Aaron (low PCS) or Abbott (headcase who can't hold it together). The US judges are rewarding a newbie like Aaron for clean, technically dynamic skates and passing over the seriously gifted Abbott who didn't melt down, but they are probably finally moving on, feeling that they've given Abbott enough opportunities already.

To be fair to Max, I find him more 'watchable' than even a year ago. It may be Camerlango's choreography. Still, he really needs to learn to stretch out the spins and extend his body on non-jump moves and choreography.

toddlj
01-30-2013, 05:56 PM
I have no doubt that a multiple-quad Aaron will end up doing well at worlds. In the past, plenty of somewhat-unknown men with questionable artistry but solid jumps have done better than expected at worlds. (Agreed that Bradley was a bust... but Aaron is not Bradley. Remember that Bradley didn't land clean quads in his FS at US nats.)

luenatic
01-30-2013, 06:01 PM
Max can jump, but his other elements and PCS leave something to be desired. Therefore, he risks getting hammered with low scores at Worlds a la Bradley.

I beg to differ. Bradley skates so slowly. He's like the male version of JSlow. Max is better IMHO.

OTOH, 'artistic' skaters with potential to score big have not been getting the job done either.

I disagree again. Alexander Johnson is probably one of the most artistic male skaters in the U.S. right now. He got the job done. Two 3-Axel and 3Lz+1Lo+3F. Only one -1 GOE (not even warranted) in the FS. His Spiral is GORGEOUS! He should be getting 9s in the PE, CH, IN marks. I cannot think of any male skaters in the past 4 years that are as artistic and technically sound as Alexander. He pays so much attention in details while skating in lightning speed, it's astonishing. For crying out loud, he actually extends and points his toe doing back XO. Did I mention he points his fingers like a ballet dancer? His basic skating skill reminds me of Katia Gordeeva and Ilia Kulik. Too bad he was judged so harshly in the SP. I'm going to start a campaign to promote Alexander Johnson! He is such a joy to watch. He is one of the reasons why I watch figure skating.

If you haven't seen Alexander's FS, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-1AI1fXdiE