PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

insideedgeua
12-21-2012, 08:55 PM
Jason looks to be skating really well. The 3A is solid and he did a lovely 3A+3T in training this morning.

spikydurian
12-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Great to hear that Jason is going to add more triples and hopefully quads to his arsenal. He's a gorgeous skater to watch. But he needs the high point jumps if he wants to podium in the senior men Worlds in the coming seasons. With quads + PCs, Jason has room for error. Looking at the current field, post Sochi (assuming a handful of retirements), the Japanese men are still the ones to beat especially Hanyu. He's brilliant and set to dominate now onwards, and he's only 18.

misskarne
12-22-2012, 12:20 AM
Jason looks to be skating really well. The 3A is solid and he did a lovely 3A+3T in training this morning.

*blinks*

Wow. I guess when the "click" moment happens, it really happens. I'm so glad!

Iceman
12-22-2012, 01:30 AM
I'll go way out on a limb and predict Stephen Carriere will be a surprise medalist.

aftershocks
12-22-2012, 08:38 AM
^^ Yep, the pewter medal is definitely up for grabs. ;)

Jammers
12-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Right now the problem with US Men is besides Abbott there is no one who is a threat internationally. So even if Jeremy goes to Worlds and is in the top 5 i don't know if there is another US skater good enough to get in the top 8 to get those three spots back. There are plenty of good skaters but no one that really stands out yet. Lets hope Jason or Joshua pan out.

Iceman
12-22-2012, 01:37 PM
^^ Yep, the pewter medal is definitely up for grabs. ;)

ROFL:rofl:

centerpt1
12-22-2012, 03:03 PM
I'll go way out on a limb and predict Stephen Carriere will be a surprise medalist.

Stephen has medaled on the GP and at Nationals in the past. I wouldn't count him out.

Sylvia
12-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I think it will be challenging for the 2 U.S. men to place high enough at Worlds to gain back 3 spots, but there is good depth in the U.S. senior men's field at Nationals -- 14 different guys have scored 200+ total in international or domestic competition at least once this season (16, counting Weir and Dolensky who will not be at Nationals).

olympic
12-22-2012, 03:37 PM
I think it will be challenging for the 2 U.S. men to place high enough at Worlds to gain back 3 spots, but there is good depth in the U.S. senior men's field at Nationals -- 14 different guys have scored 200+ total in international or domestic competition at least once this season (16, counting Weir and Dolensky who will not be at Nationals).

Right now, I believe the only men ahead of Ross and Jeremy on the Grand Prix points list this season are 1) Chan 2) 6 Japanese men 3) Fernandez. However, when you consider only 3 Japanese men will be at Worlds, that leaves Ross and Jeremy ranked at 6 and 7 in score point totals, so it's very doable to get 3 spots for Sochi '14. I know I know that you can't compare points across different competitions. But, I also bring this up because I was quite surprised when I saw the numbers. I expected the US men to be a little lower on the list.

That still means the 2 US men at Worlds absolutely have to nail their programs. You also have to consider that those other men not doing so well this Fall w/ big score potential / international credibility such as Brezina and Amodio have the potential to score better than the US men, so in that sense, yes, you are correct that it will be 'challenging', and the Quad which bedevils the US men is a wild card.

If Ricky ever shows the consistency we saw at '10 JGPF, '11 Nats, '11 Worlds, w/ his 3 Quads, he would be a huge asset to getting those 3 spots. In fact, I would rank him as the best shot for those 3 spots along w/ only one of Abbott or Miner ... if he got consistent.

In summary, I think there are doors open for the US men to walk through to get 3 spots but not many.

johndockley92
12-22-2012, 08:33 PM
^^^ Ricky has three quads? Or are you referring to the 1 in the SP and 2 in the FS?

olympic
12-22-2012, 09:09 PM
^^^ Ricky has three quads? Or are you referring to the 1 in the SP and 2 in the FS?

SP + LP combined

aftershocks
12-23-2012, 06:23 AM
Stephen has medaled on the GP and at Nationals in the past. I wouldn't count him out.

No one should be counted out ... That's why I think the pewter medal is up for grabs ... :)

Right now, I believe the only men ahead of Ross and Jeremy on the Grand Prix points list this season are 1) Chan 2) 6 Japanese men 3) Fernandez. However, when you consider only 3 Japanese men will be at Worlds, that leaves Ross and Jeremy ranked at 6 and 7 in score point totals, so it's very doable to get 3 spots for Sochi '14. I know I know that you can't compare points across different competitions. But, I also bring this up because I was quite surprised when I saw the numbers. I expected the US men to be a little lower on the list.

That still means the 2 US men at Worlds absolutely have to nail their programs. You also have to consider that those other men not doing so well this Fall w/ big score potential / international credibility such as Brezina and Amodio have the potential to score better than the US men, so in that sense, yes, you are correct that it will be 'challenging', and the Quad which bedevils the US men is a wild card.

If Ricky ever shows the consistency we saw at '10 JGPF, '11 Nats, '11 Worlds, w/ his 3 Quads, he would be a huge asset to getting those 3 spots. In fact, I would rank him as the best shot for those 3 spots along w/ only one of Abbott or Miner ... if he got consistent.

In summary, I think there are doors open for the US men to walk through to get 3 spots but not many.

ITA re highlighted portions. Right now I think Jeremy and Ross have the edge based on their strong programs and best U.S. men standings on the GP. Of course anything is possible, but I think the fact they are also not new on the international senior scene is also a factor in their favor, whereas other U.S. men who might do well at Nationals but who don't have high visibility or success re senior international circuit, stand less chance (aside from Adam who has once been 5th at Worlds, and perhaps Josh since he's done well on JGP and JW) of being fairly marked at Worlds no matter how well they might do should they make the team.

For Richard, definitely it is consistency and rebuilding his confidence that are the keys.

aftershocks
12-23-2012, 06:36 AM
Right now the problem with US Men is besides Abbott there is no one who is a threat internationally. So even if Jeremy goes to Worlds and is in the top 5 i don't know if there is another US skater good enough to get in the top 8 to get those three spots back. There are plenty of good skaters but no one that really stands out yet. Lets hope Jason or Joshua pan out.

Yes, but I don't think Jeremy is exactly seen as a threat either (although he is widely respected for his talent, and he should and could be viewed as a threat, if ...). With their talent and strong programs, I think both Jeremy and Ross are at the least competitive with the best of the rest in the world. Richard certainly has the chops to be competitive too, as is Adam if he could conquer his mysterious difficulties with 3-axel (he was landing that jump no problem when he first came onto the senior scene -- it is truly a mystery why he lost it. Was his technique not perfected?). Armin, Keegan, Max, Doug and Josh also have the chops and so does Jason even tho' he is still perfecting his 3-axel. These guys all need the opportunity to compete internationally and gain experience and build rep.

It would be nice if there could be a BEST OF THE REST competition after Worlds for talented skaters who can't get out of their Nationals due to the depth of talent in their countries (particularly Japan and U.S. in terms of the men).

judiz
12-23-2012, 09:37 AM
What's Evan's status?