PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

aftershocks
12-05-2012, 05:30 AM
This is a funny Tweet Seat with Ross ... love his answers to fans' questions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qb56rclzS0

And cute from Armin "Mahbawoola" ;) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoJ9wZjogz8&feature=endscreen&NR=1

misskarne
12-05-2012, 12:05 PM
Poor Armin. I wonder if he gets tired of having to correct his surname all the time.

leapfrogonice
12-05-2012, 11:37 PM
Ross did a great job improving his basic skating skills this past season. I always found him to be a good athlete and last season really showed continued follow through from his "wake up" step-up in training from a less than hoped for Grand Prix season in 2011. Agree that Tom Dickson created some nice programs for sure, but it takes a certain level of skating skills to deliver, and that to me is the most meaningful improvement.

Sylvia
12-05-2012, 11:44 PM
Christy Krall talks about Josh Farris and Kori Ade about Jason Brown in IceNetwork's JGP Final preview article - excerpts again posted in their Uber thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?83969-The-Joshua-and-Jason-Uber-Thread!&p=3762283&viewfull=1#post3762283

NadineWhite
12-06-2012, 04:08 AM
I'm just hoping that whomever makes the World Team comes up with the magical number 13. It would be nice for another man to get the chance to skate at the Olympics, but all in all I'm not too bummed about it. I'm actually more concerned about the women making the number 13 than any other discipline (though it would've also been nice for the pairs, sigh).

aftershocks
12-06-2012, 04:28 AM
^^ It was unlikely that 3 spots would have been gained by U.S. pairs even if Denney/ Coughlin were injury-free and not out of Nats and possibly Worlds next year. In the U.S. pairs thread, there is discussion re the fact that 2 U.S. pairs spots are still likely with 2 U.S. pairs assured of competing at Worlds. And, both Castelli/ Shnapir and Scimeca/ Knierim have had good to fair showings on the GP circuit, so they are competitive, but sure it would be Worlds debut for both teams if they place 1 and 2 at Nationals and are selected for Worlds.

Re U.S. men and ladies, fingers-crossed for a great showing at Worlds and bringing back 3 spots in both those disciplines! But first anticipating a competitive and exciting U.S. Nationals. On to GPF and JGPF this weekend.

johndockley92
12-06-2012, 12:58 PM
I think the men are much less likely to garner 3 spots than the ladies. Unless Evan shows up and is.. well.. himself, I don't see us getting three spots.

aftershocks
12-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Never say never ... ;)

olympic
12-06-2012, 05:13 PM
I think the men are much less likely to garner 3 spots than the ladies. Unless Evan shows up and is.. well.. himself, I don't see us getting three spots.

I think the US men's chances for the magic no. 13 and 3 skaters in 2014 depend a lot on the Quad, as our best men have great competitive skills in almost every other area. Specifically, that would probably be who among Miner, Abbott or Dornbush goes to Worlds and lands it along with delivering their other elements, thus getting more competitive marks with the Japanese men and those others such as Brezina and Amodio. Those are the skaters the US men have to hang with to get close to that no. 13

aftershocks
12-06-2012, 06:41 PM
^^ Yes, I think above all it is definitely going to depend on U.S. men going clean with the great programs they have, because Jeremy already is IMO the best in the world artistically, and certainly Ross and Richard have comparable skills to Brezina/ Amodio/ et al (and even to Kozuka and Fernandez,... IF Ross/ Richard and Jeremy successfully land quads).

Sylvia
12-06-2012, 06:50 PM
For JGP Final competition updates & video links for Joshua Farris and Jason Brown, replete with fan gushing ;), visit their Uber thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?83969-The-Joshua-and-Jason-Uber-Thread!&p=3762914&viewfull=1#post3762914

ETA:
Despite falling out of his 3A landing, Farris set a SB SP score of 74.53 and is in 1st place. He had +1 GOE on both his 3Lz+3T and 3F. Brown was credited with landing his first clean 3A in international competition (-0.71 GOE), stepped out of a doubled flip, received all level 4 spins and steps, and is in 3rd with 69.43, also a SB score for him.

olympic
12-06-2012, 07:54 PM
^^ Yes, I think above all it is definitely going to depend on U.S. men going clean with the great programs they have, because Jeremy already is IMO the best in the world artistically, and certainly Ross and Richard have comparable skills to Brezina/ Amodio/ et al (and even to Kozuka and Fernandez,... IF Ross/ Richard and Jeremy successfully land quads).

And all 3 of those men are at best 50/50 with the Quad. 3 spots is a very close call at this point.

Ross never struck me as a powerful jumper, so as far as I'm concerned, he's outperforming expectations by even landing the 4sal once. But, I wonder what is up with Ricky. He gets good height and rotation on his toe jumps, so I'm a little frustrated about his success rate with the 4toe.

BittyBug
12-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Ross never struck me as a powerful jumper, so as far as I'm concerned, he's outperforming expectations by even landing the 4sal once. Really? Because it seems to me that until this past season or so, his primary asset has been his consistent and reliable jumps.

aftershocks
12-06-2012, 08:37 PM
^^ ITA, BittyBug!

And all 3 of those men are at best 50/50 with the Quad. 3 spots is a very close call at this point.

Ross never struck me as a powerful jumper, so as far as I'm concerned, he's outperforming expectations by even landing the 4sal once. But, I wonder what is up with Ricky. He gets good height and rotation on his toe jumps, so I'm a little frustrated about his success rate with the 4toe.

^^ Ummm, perhaps Ross' power is fairly deceptive then (at least in your view/ or in watching on tv/ video), as that is one of the elements about his skating that Tom Dickson immediately noticed, as mentioned in the IN article on Ross from June:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120605&content_id=32790746&vkey=ice_news

..."I looked at [Ross Miner's] skating, and both Catarina and I realized he's incredibly powerful," Dickson said. "I wanted to take his power and shade it... to soften his movement and make it more regal, so his power becomes his strength."

In any case, Ross has always been a very "consistent" jumper as well as determined. And, I think he has been expertly guided by Mark Mitchell and Peter Johansson. I was surprised to learn recently that Ross initially had problems with his 3-axel when he first came on the senior scene. With guidance from his coaches (and maybe inspired by examining Johnny Weir's excellent 3-axel technique), Ross now has a gorgeous and usually a very consistent 3-axel.

I don't know much about jumping and coaching skaters at all, but from observance from afar, it seems to me that training the quad can result in a loss of rhythm on triple jumps, which can in turn lead to a lack of confidence and spotty success rates on jumps overall. Someone posted earlier about the importance of skaters gaining confidence as they try to master new jumps (or new jump revolutions). Right now I think it is that measure of "confidence" which might be the difference between Ross' and Richard's on-ice results.

Anything can happen in fs and in life, and usually does. ;) I suppose the key is being well-trained (well-prepared), able to manage nerves, and "confident" that you can perform to your ability.

ETA:

It can be fun and interesting to look back at both Ross and Richard from Nats 2011. Striking how confident and in the zone Ricky was in his fp. That was a fp full of magic and so well-suited to his strengths.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hOgpzmj4Lc Ross 2011 fp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arqtRv37n9M Richard 2011 fp

olympic
12-06-2012, 09:45 PM
^I'm happy to be wrong. It just never looked to me like Ross got a lot of altitude on his jumps. But, again, happy to be wrong