PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Men 2012-13 news, updates & general discussion

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64

pinky166
11-28-2012, 02:22 AM
Many folks are suggesting Farris for 4Cs and Junior Worlds. If I understand the current ISU rules, once he skates an international senior competition he cannot compete at a Junior event that year. (And once he competes in two international senior competitions he can never return to juniors.)

Wouldn't skating in 4Cs automatically eliminate his eligibility for Junior Worlds? Or am I missing something?

I don't think the rule passed because Lipnitskaya talked about returning to JW this season after competing on the senior Grand Prix. Regardless, I thought the rule being tossed around said skaters lose junior eligibility after competing in TWO senior ISU competitions, so 4CC would just be one anyways. But I don't think that rule ended up getting passed, or if it did, it's not effective until next season (like how Julia was allowed to compete in senior GP this season).

pinky166
11-28-2012, 02:36 AM
Sort of sad none of the US guys will be skating in the (senior) GPF. Would have given us a better idea of what to expect going into Nationals, Miner and Dornbush have each had one great international competition (NHK and Finlandia respectively) and two okay ones thus far, though Dornbush's best outing came first and his subsequent showings have been spottier, while Ross appears to be on an upswing, Abbott was lackluster in both his GPs but showed improvement from SA at TEB, the collision obviously affected Rippon at CoC so current status is pretty much solely based on his NHK performances suggesting he's dealing with the same issues as usual and has yet to show obvious improvements/changes under Raffael.

At least Brown and Farris will be at the JGPF so we'll get another chance to see how Jason's doing with the 3a and Josh with the 4t before Nationals. It's been awhile since their last JGPs and the performances both put out at those were solid but definitely had plenty of room for improvement. Cautiously optimistic for the both of them at this point.

dinakt
11-28-2012, 02:52 AM
Wake up and smell the coffee (or at least look at the results). :)

A comparison of Max Aaron's PCS (SS, TR, PE, CH, IN) at two recent competitions:

Midwestern Sectionals (http://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2013/68388/index.asp):

SP: 7.13, 5.63, 6.56, 6.38, 6.44
FS: 7.56, 6.00, 7.06, 6.75, 6.09

Coupe de Nice (http://nice-baie-des-anges.fr/images/stories/docs-coupe/resultats2012/html/index.htm):

SP: 7.33, 6.92, 7.08, 7.17, 7.33
FS: 7.50, 7.08, 7.25, 7.25, 7.25

:coffee:

I am an absolute coffee addict, so that sugeestion was most welcome:)
It is not my desire to slam anybody and I am not a pro.
Those are decent PCS for Max from Couple de Nice; IMO, his PCS at Midwesterns are reflecting more precisely what was put on ice.
But then , PCS is a deep mystery of the Universe.

We also keep forgetting Armin, which is a shame. Beautiful skater, and I always end up feeling he just misses being the elite. Perhaps he could pull Ashley on us. I hope.

aftershocks
11-28-2012, 04:50 PM
^^ I think he would need to "pull an Armin on us," which would be just fine, indeed. :)

Kelvster
11-28-2012, 05:01 PM
totally agree with the person above who said figure skating is a sport, but Jeremy Abbott just somehow elevates it.
abbott really is too good a skater to never win a medal at worlds at least.
with the quad being so inconsistent this season (in competition) he may like to substitute the opening quad with a triple axel ...
if he lands 2 triple axels, and all his other triples, then jeremy has a shot at the bronze!! (gold and silver i think are gonna go to hanyu and chan, unless others mess up big time).

Impromptu
11-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Finally got a chance to look at the Midwestern Sectionals video... Alexander Johnson has quietly become a beautiful skater to watch. Reminded me of Matt Savoie (which makes sense, since Savoie also did a lot of work with Tom Dickson, didn't he?).

aftershocks
11-29-2012, 02:52 AM
^^ Yes, Matt's choreographer was Tom Dickson, and Kathy Johnson also did some dance training work with him, etc.; Linda Branan was Matt's primary coach and he always remained loyal to her. :)

ETA:
Of course, Tom Dickson choreographed Ross Miner's fp this season, and Dickson's wife, Catarina Lindgren choreographed Ross's sp.

Marco
11-29-2012, 03:08 AM
As I mentioned, Aaron's scores are from a regional competition and a senior B event. At a major senior international, Aaron's scores will automatically be much lower, I'd bet, simply due to the newbie factor, and added to that it is hard to be clean in a senior international debut, especially at Worlds. That's why the performances of both Richard Dornbush and Ross Miner at 2011 Worlds were outstanding, albeit largely unrewarded and unheralded. That's figure skating. :judge: :COP: :argue: :drama: :wall: :fragile: :fan21:

And if he made it to worlds this season, he will have to skate very, very early in the short program and that will hurt his GOE and PCS. If US is shooting to have a 3rd spot in Sochi, every single point counts.

dinakt
11-29-2012, 04:04 AM
^^ Yes, Matt's choreographer was Tom Dickson, and Kathy Johnson also did some dance training work with him, etc.; Linda Branan was Matt's primary coach and he always remained loyal to her. :)

ETA:
Of course, Tom Dickson choreographed Ross Miner's fp this season, and Dickson's wife, Catarina Lindgren choreographed Ross's sp.
... and it shows Ross to great advantage. I rewatched Miner's LP a few times, seeing more care to detail every time. Dickson is brilliant.
SP can work quite well, too; but it requires more "skating into".

aftershocks
11-29-2012, 05:41 AM
^^ ITA!

Here's the link to the IN article which announced Ross' programs for this season. I enjoyed reading Dickson's comments about the process of working with Ross:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120605&content_id=32790746&vkey=ice_news

luenatic
11-29-2012, 12:25 PM

ETA:

No wonder I thought of Matt when I saw Ross's FP. I kept telling myself, Ross skated a lot like Matt!

dinakt
11-29-2012, 12:43 PM
^^ ITA!

Here's the link to the IN article which announced Ross' programs for this season. I enjoyed reading Dickson's comments about the process of working with Ross:

http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20120605&content_id=32790746&vkey=ice_news

Thank you. It is an excellent article, and I missed it.
LOL at Dickson calling Ross's loops "very Picasso"
When I was a teen, Sabatini's "Captain Blood" was one of my favorite noves; I read it dozens of times, attracted, no doubt, by that juvenile swashbuckling Dickson wanted to avoid.

aftershocks
11-29-2012, 03:03 PM
^^ Yes, the IN article had appeared so early in the summer, I'd nearly forgotten having read it before. I found Dickson's comments quite fascinating and enlightening about Ross being "incredibly powerful," and that they wanted to "take his power and shade it ... to soften his movement and make it more regal, so his power becomes his strength." The proof is in the pudding, as one of the BBC commentators said in a somewhat related context. ;)

I've never read Captain Blood, but I can see how the title might be irresistible for a teenager. :) I have seen a few old Errol Flynn movies. Yes, there is something "regal" and "romantic" about Ross' free skate. I don't happen to see that close of a facial resemblance between him and Flynn (perhaps slightly). Moreso perhaps they share a similar kind of romantic adventurousness and joie de vivre, and now of course, starring roles as Captain Blood. :D

Here are links to compare their "resemblance":

http://www.inlikeflynn.com/flynn.html (scroll down for more Flynn photos when the site opens fully)

http://www.rossminer.net/

No wonder I thought of Matt when I saw Ross's FP. I kept telling myself, Ross skated a lot like Matt!

I don't really see too much similarity in Matt's and Ross' styles of skating. But yeah, a defining common denominator is Dickson's choreo, in that Dickson has a genius for seeing what skaters have to offer and helping them to bring out their best qualities on the ice.

ETA:

Ross' Luck Be A Lady exhibition at 0:20:31 in this youtube NHK Gala video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxfCQD72ztI

Ross does a fine job with this Sinatra standard; he could play it up more but he's growing quite nicely into his on-ice style.

aftershocks
12-05-2012, 03:59 AM
Boston2014 website feature article on Ross Miner, by Sarah Brannen

http://www.boston2014.com/featured-skaters/ross-miner/

Sylvia
12-05-2012, 04:08 AM
Here's a nice quote by Christina Gao from her GPF preview article published on IceNetwork today:

Gao was thrilled to see Miner hit a quadruple Salchow and win bronze in a tough field at the NHK Trophy.

"Ross is such a great training partner; he pushes me everyday," she said. "I've seen him do even better than he did at NHK. I'm so proud of him."

Quotes by/updates from Joshua Farris and Jason Brown before the JGP Final are posted in their Uber thread in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?83969-The-Joshua-and-Jason-Uber-Thread!&p=3761593&viewfull=1#post3761593