PDA

View Full Version : Gripes about the difference between the JGP and GP entry lists

essence_of_soy
09-13-2012, 11:57 PM
I love that the ISU has posted the junior programs on YouTube minutes after they have been skated.

What disappoints me is that the senior Grand Prix events are limited to 10 skaters in singles and dance, and eight in pairs (?) based I believe, on seeded rankings and points accumulated from the previous season.

My problem is that you end up seeing the same skaters and the same programs 3 or 4 times over the course of 2 or 3 months.

It's great in the JGP series seeing up to 30 or so skaters from around the world in each event, making it like a mini junior worlds at each competition.

Lanna
09-14-2012, 01:22 AM
The GP has essentially become a cheesefest. Seeding will always favor the seeds, but they've really gone out of their way to help seeds and enforce the status quo. You need 2 events to make a qualifying score, and now with reduced entry space, it's much harder to get 2 events. It reduces competitiveness and encourages sandbagging in juniors.

The JGP is a lot more competitive than the GP is. Absurdly, making the final is harder in the JGP than in the GP for two-eventers, because the JGP is 7 events, 6 qualifiers. (Except for pairs, where the JGP is a tragic travesty.)