PDA

View Full Version : From Russia With Love - Autumn 2012

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 [54] 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Macassar88
11-04-2012, 10:10 AM
Thankfully that's not what he said. :) He said that they were first according to the audience reaction, not that they should have won the competition. He did say he wasn't impressed with P/B free dance though.
I feel like that combo says that he feels like they maybe should have won. (Not going to say how I feel about the results since that's not really the topic)
Kind of like how at worlds last year, people were saying that Davis and White should have won because they got a bigger standing ovation and that Virtue and Moir's FD wasn't that good. (Again, not trying to start a fight - just putting out the opinions of many posters here and in other forums because it is similar IMO to what Zhulin said)

Cherub721
11-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Thankfully that's not what he said. :) He said that they were first according to the audience reaction, not that they should have won the competition. He did say he wasn't impressed with P/B free dance though.

I mean I'm not exactly impressed with P&B's FD either, and what he said is not terrible, but it is sad when a former coach slags their old students when they parted on such good terms as Zhulin and P&B did.

babayaga
11-04-2012, 03:13 PM
I feel like that combo says that he feels like they maybe should have won. (Not going to say how I feel about the results since that's not really the topic)
Kind of like how at worlds last year, people were saying that Davis and White should have won because they got a bigger standing ovation and that Virtue and Moir's FD wasn't that good. (Again, not trying to start a fight - just putting out the opinions of many posters here and in other forums because it is similar IMO to what Zhulin said)

I see what you mean. No, I don't want to start the fight either :) I guess I wanted to clarify that he said something about the audience reaction that can probably be interpreted differently, but not "we should have won" outright. Also some posters already started comparing his words with Kustarova who always blamed the judges and I thought this would be an important correction, that's all :)

To Cherub721: yes, that part I wasn't happy about either, but my interpretation was that he thinks P/B deserve better material.

Macassar88
11-04-2012, 07:13 PM
Well Cup of Russia is this weekend - let's see if IK can get their 70+ SD and 100+ FD! :rofl:

casken
11-04-2012, 11:03 PM
Good interview. They both sound very level headed and self aware.

martyross
11-04-2012, 11:43 PM
Well Cup of Russia is this weekend - let's see if IK can get their 70+ SD and 100+ FD! :rofl:
i wonder if seeing how well BobSoloviev are doing, the Russian fed will change tune and go for them instead of I-K. after all B-S are much more mature, experienced and show a strong will to work and improve. they are on the rise. on a minor side, they have beautiful programs that capture the audience and are well received by the judges, who place them higher than WP on PCS. i kind of doubt that IK programs will have the same impact.

caseyedwards
11-04-2012, 11:54 PM
It all depends on the worlds of b/s. If they flop there a third time no way!

DaiKozOda
11-05-2012, 01:48 AM
Sorry but I don't resist asking this: Wasn't Dmitry Soloviev married and with a child?
If you look at his FB it seems he's together with Ksenia Stolbova.

Anyway, B&S FD is growing on me but I'm still not to convinced with the Tosca music mixed with Ennio Morricone.
Hope Ilinykh & Katsalapov show good programs at the Cup of Russia and I'm super curious about their scores :P

Jemestone
11-05-2012, 01:52 AM
^Was is the key word there. He and Stolbova are together now ;)

DaiKozOda
11-05-2012, 01:56 AM
Ok. I had missed that one lool. They make a really cute couple :)

babayaga
11-05-2012, 02:06 AM
^Was is the key word there. He and Stolbova are together now ;)
Wow, is that really true? When did this happen?

Jemestone
11-05-2012, 02:15 AM
^Don't know but everywhere you look there are photos of the two of them, twitter, instagram, facebook. On their formspring they said the other person makes them happy. Cute :swoon:

Marco
11-05-2012, 03:17 AM
I am sort of glad for Lipnitskaya's loss in China. She still has so much to work on. Her flow was horrible and is in my opinion one of the major issues she will have to address if she is to have any shot at Sochi. Another issue is the very visible lack of maturity and musicality. Everyone is drawing Cohen analogies but for me the more immediate analogy is Zhang really (and that's not a good thing).

caseyedwards
11-05-2012, 03:35 AM
I don't think there's any need to lose to learn! I think the 64 PCS for Mao and 57 for Lipnitskaia clearly indicated huge and severe problems Lipnitskaia has.

pinky166
11-05-2012, 03:38 AM
The icenetwork videos from Skate Canada are up, and I must say, watching the ladies programs again, I am feeling more optimistic about Tuk and as for Shelepen, she has regressed a lot, seemed very sloppy, but it was very noticeable that she was skating very slowly and gingerly, kind of limping, as she got off the ice for both programs, so I'm thinking she's probably battling some kind of injury and that was likely why she didn't care about her scores being so low. Hopefully she will improve later in the season, but I noticed particularly how slow her spins are, some of her positions she hits in them are nice/flexible, but they just all seemed so slow and labored, as did her overall skating. To me she definitely looks to have grown taller, though perhaps she's just filled out and the costumes with the long skirts and white boots give the illusion of her being taller than before. I admire her gutsiness going for all those 3-3s but she has a lot of work to do ATM.

As for Tuk I didn't realize how strong of a FS she had, it was really quite good. The fall on the 2nd lutz was nasty, but the first lutz was a beauty, and even though some of the other triples looked small/tight, the 2a-3t in the 2nd half of the program looked really good. Plus on that video, it seems like her puberty issues/growth spurt is maybe a couple inches in height and then some weight gained in her lower body - mostly the legs, which could just be due to increased strength training as it looks like muscle weight and not really a drastic change to her physique as some seemed to think. So I think she is still very much in the mix to shake things up at Nationals and go to Euros and Worlds this season, maybe even medal there. Time will tell but considering her injury I thought she was skating pretty well. And comparing her to Julia even with the injury and puberty struggles her jumps are still better technique wise and at least a little bigger (the 2a in particular). The thing I noticed the most about Julia watching that FS where she "struggled" is that her jumps are sort of at a standstill, not a lot of flow coming out. She does a good job making her jump exits neat and tidy (when the jumps are straight in the air), but she doesn't get a good running edge out and doesn't carry a lot of speed into the jump, which makes me worry about what will happen when puberty hits. The technique is solid enough but right now she's relying on quick rotation to get around and is really muscling those jumps, which also makes me worry about injuries.