PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Kwan is engaged!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19

Sparks
10-29-2012, 02:06 PM
Michelle could have any hunk she wanted. Her being with Clay is just further proof that she isn't superficial. I bet he has a rockin' brain!

Frau Muller
10-29-2012, 07:41 PM
Meh. Underwhelming. We wish her well, though.

skatesindreams
10-29-2012, 10:55 PM
Have you read anything about him?

A young man of extraordinary accomplishment.

He is a 2012 White House Fellow

Clay Pell, Providence, RI. Clay Pell is a JAG and Lieutenant in the United States Coast Guard. He has served as Admiral’s Aide, Appellate Government Counsel, and Adjunct Faculty for the Defense Institute of International Legal Studies. Clay executes regular Coast Guard exchanges with China to improve military diplomacy, instructs courses on human rights and military justice, and has prosecuted crimes for the U.S. Marine Corps. Prior to military service, Clay worked for the CIA, State Department, and the international law firms of Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer, Baker & McKenzie, and Uría Menéndez. He helped lead a national campaign to increase funding for inexpensive, lifesaving medicines for children under five. In Rhode Island, Clay supported Progreso Latino, the International Institute, and the China Working Group in their drive to instruct foreign languages in local schools and provide critical services to communities of new Americans. Clay is fluent in Chinese, Spanish, and Arabic and studied law in China and Argentina. He graduated first in his class from the Coast Guard Direct Commission Officer School, earned his J.D. from Georgetown University, and graduated from Harvard University with high honors in Social Studies and a Citation in Modern Standard Arabic. Clay is a recipient of the CIA’s Exceptional Performance Award. Placement: National Security Staff, The White House

Michelle was a finalist for this position.
As I understand it, they got to know one another while preparing for the interviews.
He's the grandson of the late Sen Claibourne Pell - RI; and a member of one of the most respected families in the US.

Jo Ann
10-30-2012, 03:18 AM
I am sorry for this awful and superficial comment...but he is the oldest-looking 30 year old I have seen. :wuzrobbed Maybe I am just being a selfish fan and can't accept that he's good enough for her. Don't mind me.

Best wishes and happiness forever after!

I think you are probably focusing on his receeding hairline. Don't let that overwhelm you, dear. He is brilliant, grounded, accomplished and, according to Michelle, has a delightful sense of humor. The article I read quoted Michelle as saying that when they studied for the fellowship together she was laughing until she had tears in her eyes. She also said she had never believed in love at first sight until she met him. She knew he was "the one" shortly after meeting him. He obviously has a fantastic personality and wonderful qualities that caused Michelle to fall in love with him. :)

centerstage01
10-30-2012, 03:21 AM
Oh, but if they don't look like an underwear model didn't you know they aren't worth knowing? Looks are the only thing after all. :rolleyes:

GoldenMichelle
10-30-2012, 02:08 PM
I think this would be gorgeous on Michelle....but in white.
http://www.verawang.com/EN/wedding/bridal-collection/spring-2013/1315-kirsten

aftershocks
10-30-2012, 06:24 PM
A couple pictures of Clay Pell and family http://www.newportseen.com/archived-news/gracious-high-tea-at-mrs.-pells/

Thanks for the link. It appears to be from 2009. Clay's hair was a bit longer.

Michelle could have any hunk she wanted. Her being with Clay is just further proof that she isn't superficial. I bet he has a rockin' brain!

I think you are probably focusing on his receeding hairline. Don't let that overwhelm you, dear. He is brilliant, grounded, accomplished and, according to Michelle, has a delightful sense of humor. The article I read quoted Michelle as saying that when they studied for the fellowship together she was laughing until she had tears in her eyes. She also said she had never believed in love at first sight until she met him. She knew he was "the one" shortly after meeting him. He obviously has a fantastic personality and wonderful qualities that caused Michelle to fall in love with him. :)

ITA with you guys, and also with skatesindreams and centerstagequeen. Also, I think Clay is attractive and a very accomplished young man, obviously brilliant and he possesses a sense of humor too! Michelle has dated "hunky" before. Been there done that, I'd say. The point really is when you find someone you have great synchronicity with in terms of goals and aspirations, outlook on life, superior accomplishments, kindness and love for humanity, as well as hitting it off romantically, then that is something very special. It doesn't happen for everyone. Michelle and Clay are very blessed and very lucky. But they also have made their own luck. Being able to laugh together and to be friends first should never be under-rated.

Yes, this would look beautiful on Michelle, in white, of course! Looks like Vera is taking some inspiration from Ven of Project Runway, season 10 fame.

Spartacus
11-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Yay!:rollin:

aftershocks
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM

Getting a better look, although I do like this dress from Vera's Spring 2013 wedding collection, I think some of the fluff on the bottom would have to be tapered down for Michelle's small figure. In any case, Vera will surely be making something specially for Michelle and not exactly like any other dress in her collections.

aftershocks
12-06-2012, 04:00 AM
From the article on Michelle's new job at the State Department:

... Kwan shared with her seminar audience one little career disappointment: She was turned down for a White House fellowship. “But I got the fellow,” she joked — fiancé Clay Pell, who beat her out for the prestigious program and now works there. No date set yet, but she said they’ll probably wed in Rhode Island — where he’s from, and where they got engaged — sometime next year.

Another interesting Kwan tidbit from the article:

...Does [Kwan] see herself with State for the long haul? You never in politics, she said, but “I’m very goal-oriented. I do see myself doing something in public service.”

Not foreign service work, though. “I like living in the United States too much,” she said.

l'etoile
12-06-2012, 05:07 AM
:swoon:

BaileyCatts
12-07-2012, 04:45 AM
Interesting. I just found a 2 degrees of separation to the Kween. One of the guys in my department went to school with, and apparently is still friends today, with Clay Pell. Hmmm .... now how can I get him to wrangle an invite to the wedding and take me instead of his boyfriend. :rofl:

RickInSanJose
12-08-2012, 05:33 AM
Hmmm .... now how can I get him to wrangle an invite to the wedding and take me instead of his boyfriend. :rofl:

Perhaps abject groveling would be worth a try.

maureenfarone
12-08-2012, 01:47 PM
Perhaps abject groveling would be worth a try.

Good post!

aftershocks
12-08-2012, 05:04 PM
^^^ :lol: :D