PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Kwan is engaged!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19

VIETgrlTerifa
09-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Reading the entire thread for context might be helpful. :)

I have.

I was merely responding to Garden Kitty's comment:

"The impression I've had of Michelle isn't 'ambitious' but 'passionate'."

I was just saying that Kwan does have a history of being ambitious (I fail to see how one can be successful in a competitive atmosphere like skating without being ambitious) and that it works well with her passionate nature. Which you would have read if you read my post properly where I said she was both when you said:

"IMO, VietgrlTerifa, it is not a question of either/ or."

Forgive me if I had misread your post.

aftershocks
09-24-2012, 03:04 AM
PURPLE!!!

Understood VietgrlTerifa … like I said we’re not completely disagreeing. It’s a matter of semantics, perception and interpretation. Perhaps skatesindreams said it best:

Ambition, properly directed, is necessary for; and creates, the work ethic that leads to achieving great success.
It certainly applies to Michelle.

IMO there is nothing about the above that negates or conflicts with Garden Kitty’s “impression” or kwanette’s “distinction” either. ITA with all three of them more than you because of the fact that “ambitious” is not the first word or first quality that comes to my mind when I think about Michelle Kwan. Passionate and courageous for me are more on the mark. IMO, Michelle obviously has ambition but she is not defined by ambition, and she is nowhere near the “dark side” danger that Iceman invoked. :P She’s not even in the vicinity. Michelle is on a totally different plane … she operates within a completely different stratosphere. And I intend no pretense, nor any pretentiousness with my comments.

Once again, cheers to Michelle and Clay!! :cheer:

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/scoopdeck/2012/09/12/michelle-kwan-is-engaged-to-a-coastie/

http://www.glamour.com/weddings/blogs/save-the-date/2012/09/olympic-figure-skater-michelle.html

Kabooke
09-24-2012, 11:06 AM
Since when did being "ambitious" become a bad thing? And in America no less?
Not to mention the presumption of the "darker side"?

Everyone whom achieves anything in life has ambitions/goals/desires. The "darker side" only deals with those whom will walk on/hold down/double cross/compromise ethics/ect...others to achieve those ambitions. Anything out of balance can become "dark", but why would that be the first thing anyone would think about?

Anyway, all the best to Michelle & Clay. :cool:

kwanette
09-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Since when did being "ambitious" become a bad thing? And in America no less?
Not to mention the presumption of the "darker side"?

Everyone whom achieves anything in life has ambitions/goals/desires. The "darker side" only deals with those whom will walk on/hold down/double cross/compromise ethics/ect...others to achieve those ambitions. Anything out of balance can become "dark", but why would that be the first thing anyone would think about?

Anyway, all the best to Michelle & Clay. :cool:

Well said.

aftershocks
09-24-2012, 03:19 PM
... Anything out of balance can become "dark", but why would that be the first thing anyone would think about?

Exactly!

IMO, MK is a perfect example of someone who has learned how to maintain a "balance" in her life, both personally and professionally.

As I previously mentioned, I think Iceman wandered into the wrong thread. :P

For those interested in continuing the "ambitious" discussion in all its aspects, "dark" or otherwise, and re "American Ambition," here's a link to a new thread in PI:

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?p=3693303#post3693303

UGG
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Why did this thread get so weird? Anywhoo-

I just checked out Vera Wang's website and I really dislike all of the wedding dresses I am looking at...

aftershocks
09-24-2012, 04:01 PM
^^ Since when did "ambition" become a "weird" thing? Hmmm, maybe since that "weird" skater guy with his own tv show ...

JUST JOKING ... no comeback rejoinder necessary. :)

Anywhoo- (thanks for bringing discussion back to more important matters) ;)

http://www.verawang.com/?country=USA

I think it's likely a done deal that Vera is making Michelle's dress. Surely it will be custom made especially for Kween and will not look exactly like any dresses currently on Vera's website. :D

As someone else mentioned, MK's dress might be a strapless sheath (somewhat body hugging, hopefully with some exquisite design details).

love_skate2011
09-24-2012, 04:21 PM
and where does Lysacek play into this ? :confused: :rofl:

aftershocks
09-24-2012, 05:33 PM
JoKwan Evanera Wangcek?!!! :duh: :rofl: ... coached by Frank Carroll

Anywhoo-

Back to dress discussion, perhaps ;)

UGG
09-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Oh I know the dress will be a custom dress for Michelle-I was just saying in general I really don't know who would wear any of those dresses unless you were a celebrity. I had a very beautiful wedding when I was married -and all of those dresses would have been way too "dramatic" for the event LOL. IDK if that makes sense. I cannot picture anyone wearing those style wedding dresses at any wedding I have ever been to.

Anyway-I know Michelle will have a very beautiful dress. I was just talking in general about the style of VW. I could see Michelle more in a Claire Pettibone dress.

http://www.clairepettibone.com/bridal/?cp=lookbook/cc

UGG
09-24-2012, 08:12 PM
Like this dress!

http://www.clairepettibone.com/bridal/?cp=gowns/chantilly

RickInSanJose
09-25-2012, 02:24 AM
While I'm a wedding dress ignoramus, I can't imagine Michelle looking anything less than stunning and radiant in any wedding gown -- even an off-the-rack J.C. Penny gown.

aftershocks
09-26-2012, 05:59 PM
^^ Yes, I too am certain Michelle will be beautiful in whatever gown she wears -- radiant from the inside out, just as she usually is, but especially so on her wedding day. :)

JILEN
09-26-2012, 06:33 PM
I was'nt a big fan of those one-off-shoulder strap costume VW use to make for MK so anything other than that I would be happy to see MK with but tube wedding gown? I hope not it's s overplayed. What about something classic and traditional maybe?

sk9tingfan
09-26-2012, 06:54 PM
Why did this thread get so weird? Anywhoo-

I just checked out Vera Wang's website and I really dislike all of the wedding dresses I am looking at...

I totally agree with you.