PDA

View Full Version : Michelle Kwan is engaged!!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

Iceman
09-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Congratulations to Michelle and Clay! And may they have a wonderful life together, and live to celebrate their 75th Anniversary (and beyond) in abundant happiness and good health!

She would be 107 or older (depending on how long an engagement they have).:eek:

I wonder if the wedding will be in DC or California or Rhode Island. Wonder if the ceremony will be Episcopalian or non-denominational.

Frau Muller
09-14-2012, 04:30 PM
Fascinating bio of Clay Pell's famous grandfather, RI Senator Claiborne de Borda Pell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claiborne_Pell

KUDOS to grandpa for his strong pro-gay rights stance...he himself having been arrested in a NYC gay bar in the early '60s!

In 'The Washington Pay-Off; An Insider's View of Corruption in Government' (Copyright 1972; Lyle Stuart, Inc.), author and former lobbyist Robert N. Winter-Berger, wrote about Senator Pell's arrest, during a raid on a New York gay bar, in the early 1960s. In 1993, during the bitter confirmation battle over Roberta Achtenberg, a lesbian, as Assistant Secretary for the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity in the Department of Housing and Urban Development, Pell stated that his daughter was a lesbian, and that he hoped that it would not be a barrier to federal employment for her; Achtenberg became the first openly gay person to be confirmed by the U.S. Senate.

Pell's former campaign manager and close friend Raymond Nels Nelson, himself an openly gay man, was brutally murdered in Washington D.C in 1981 in a still unsolved murder. Pell spoke eloquently of his former aide on the Senate floor a day after his murder.

All that + the Pell Grants (originally intended for prisoners undergoing rehabilitation) + creation of the NEA and NEH! What a progressive human being. Bravo! The Kween is marrying into a great family, IMO.

Scintillation
09-14-2012, 04:55 PM
http://www.golocalprov.com/news/new-pell-named-white-house-fellow/

I think that is the best photo of Clay.
Congratulations to Michelle and Mr. Pell!!! I just watched her 1998 rachmaninoff short program and became slightly emotional. So happy for her and I wish her the best. Oh and the ring is beautiful.
Not gonna lie, I was half expecting at least one "so does this mean she's not coming back to skating?" post in this thread.

aftershocks
09-14-2012, 05:53 PM
^^ That looks like a much younger Clay during his service in the Coast Guard.

Fascinating bio of Clay Pell's famous grandfather, RI Senator Claiborne de Borda Pell:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claiborne_Pell

KUDOS to grandpa for his strong pro-gay rights stance...

All that + the Pell Grants (originally intended for prisoners undergoing rehabilitation) + creation of the NEA and NEH! What a progressive human being. Bravo! The Kween is marrying into a great family, IMO.

Indeed, a very distinguished family with a long history/ tradition of public service. Quite interesting the stories about grandpa Pell's frugality and his fascination with the paranormal. I especially appreciate the fact that Pell was an advocate for mass transportation initiatives. We dearly need more attention paid to developing better public transportation in this country. Too much emphasis has unfortunately been focused on the automobile as economic savior -- to the point where we are too dependent upon the automobile industry. The reason public transportation was stalled and prevented from being expanded in the 1940s and 1950s is largely because automobiles made a lot of people rich, especially the oil barons.

With the Pell family's long history of public service in the political arena, it will be interesting to see whether Clay might someday run for congressman or senator in Rhode Island, or whether he will prefer to serve more behind the scenes as a diplomat.

Obviously, the Pells are not just a rich family, but a family of many distinguished forebears dedicated to improving the lives of their fellow citizens. Senator Pell's progressiveness and open-minded outlook are quite impressive. Wow, that he had the vision to create the NEA and the NEH. Great that President Clinton awarded Senator Pell the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 1994. There are a couple of biographies on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Uncommon-Man-Times-Senator-Claiborne/dp/1611681863/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347638894&sr=1-1&keywords=Claiborne+Pell

http://www.amazon.com/Claiborne-Pell-Jesse-Russell/dp/5512333771/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1347638894&sr=1-2&keywords=Claiborne+Pell

It definitely will be interesting to see whether Clay and Michelle will opt for a small family wedding, or decide on having a more mid-sized to large wedding with a bigger guest list.

query5
09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
aftershocks, i was thinking the same thing last night-regarding wedding.
the list, how big, small, intimate, either way congrats to both

aftershocks
09-14-2012, 07:51 PM
YAY for the Kween!!!!

i think this is somewhat of an emotional event for her fans because she literally grew up before our eyes-I am only 3 years older than her so I feel like I grew up with her. We watched her from 12 years old, winning her first national and world title at 15, her last world title at 22 and of course, her career ending injury at 25 years old.

She grew tremendously as a skater year after year. She is an amazing person. I am very proud to be her fan.

15 years old in the below video. Who else????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iok96fRDFYA

Absolutely! Thanks UGG. :wuzrobbed Happy tears! Yes, I too am feeling emotional, and almost like I really know Michelle (at least maybe I can feel certain that I know something of her heart and her courage). Just being a fan of Michelle brought so many people together over the years who forged long-lasting friendships. :)

:lol: You never know. The Kween seems to be a peaceful person who stays in great shape and great spirits, buoyed by the love and support of family, friends and fans. Now she has that special someone to share the rest of her journey with. So happy for them both. Keep on keeping on Michelle and Clay ...

I wonder if the wedding will be in DC or California or Rhode Island. Wonder if the ceremony will be Episcopalian or non-denominational.

Wondering and following the wedding plan tidbits, anticipating their great day ... Must run out to pick up this week's People mag!

We should have a v-bet on whether or not Michelle's Vera Wang will be strapless. I think it will be. :D I will go as far as predicting that it will be a strapless sheath. I just don't see her in a poofy ball gown.

You may be right. I think something sleek and sophisticated is Michelle's style. I agree re strapless ... but will it be very simple or will it have some interesting details/ design elements.

aftershocks, i was thinking the same thing last night-regarding wedding. the list, how big, small, intimate, either way congrats to both

Yes. Perhaps the ceremony will be relatively small or mid-size, and the reception guest list will be larger?

LilJen
09-14-2012, 09:47 PM
I don't envy them whittling down the guest list. . . or just paying for the 1000s of people who will want to come anyway. . .

aftershocks
09-14-2012, 10:20 PM
^^ Do you mean paying for security to keep away the "1000s of people who will want to come anyway ..." ;)

ETA:
In any case, I doubt either of them will have trouble "paying" for security or "paying" for the wedding. IOW, they are unlikely to have to ask their parents to help pay the bill, altho' both sets of parents may be happy to oblige.

Has anyone read the People mag issue yet?

skatingfan5
09-14-2012, 11:34 PM
For those who were claiming how "business like" and non lovey-dovey the announcement of Michelle's engagement was, here's something from PEOPLE (http://stylenews.peoplestylewatch.com/2012/09/14/bride-to-be-michelle-kwan-wants-a-vera-wang-wedding-gown/) that would seem to contradict their view:
“I remember sitting down with Clay to prepare for our White House fellowship interviews,” Kwan says, “but we ended up just talking. We laughed so hard that I was crying. I never was one who believed in love at first sight, but I have to admit it happened for us. I felt there was a magnetic connection between us. I thought he was the one from the beginning.”Love at first sight and magnetic connections would seem to be the antithesis of business-like. :)

Rottie
09-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Oh wow. This is so cool. So happy that Michelle found someone so accomplished and who shares her interests and values. Very happy Kwan fan right now!

RickInSanJose
09-15-2012, 02:46 AM

I hope Michelle lives to 107 (or older) in good health!

The last surviving U.S. World War I veteran, Frank Buckles, lived to 110 and was still lucid right up to the end. And so was Jean Calmet of France, who sold colored pencils to Van Gogh when she was a child, and lived to age 122. So you never know...

Jo Ann
09-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Oh wow. This is so cool. So happy that Michelle found someone so accomplished and who shares her interests and values. Very happy Kwan fan right now!

I totally agree, Rottie. I am a very happy Kwan fan right now, too! :cool:

Best wishes to you, Michelle. It's been exciting watching you win all your titles and fun watching you skate in the "Champions on Ice" shows.

Michelle and Clay are an impressive couple with all their accomplishments. I can't wait to see what the future holds for them. May the love and happiness they feel today grow by leaps and bounds over the years!

goldberry99
09-16-2012, 05:39 AM
YAY for the Kween!!!!

i think this is somewhat of an emotional event for her fans because she literally grew up before our eyes-I am only 3 years older than her so I feel like I grew up with her.

Me too! I am about the same age as Michelle and read her autobiography right when it came out when we were both 16/17. She talked a little bit about wanting a family of her own someday, a husband and kids(two boys! :lol:) the way most American teenage girls daydream. I hope her life turns out how she dreamed, or even better! :cool:

isamelia
09-17-2012, 02:13 PM
I'm looking forward to seeing Karen Kwan Oppegard's daughters~ flower girls, junior bridesmaids?

FiveRinger
09-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Deleted