View Full Version : Kevin van der Perren wants to try pair skating

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

Andrey aka Pushkin
09-11-2012, 02:51 PM
Andreev had quite good basic skating. VPD, on the other hand... :shuffle:
Andreev had quite good mom :shuffle:

orbitz
09-11-2012, 04:06 PM
I checked the ISU bio, it says he's 1.77 - tallish for singles, short for pairs. He's taller than Szolkowy and Tran, though.

If KVP is taller than pair skaters Robin S. and Tran then how can be be "short for pairs" ? :P

Zemgirl
09-11-2012, 04:45 PM
If KVP is taller than pair skaters Robin S. and Tran then how can be be "short for pairs" ? :P
Because they are very short for pairs and skating with female partners who are quite petite? Obviously most of the pairs guys are 1.80 or taller, and we've seen those who are shorter struggle to find good partners (e.g. Rockne Brubaker). There are fewer options when you can't pair up with anyone taller than 1.55 or so.

halffull
09-11-2012, 05:04 PM
This will never happen. Dream on KVP ....

DarrellH
09-11-2012, 05:15 PM
Maybe he can find someone to be a Maid Marian to his Robin Hood?:D

ioana
09-11-2012, 05:28 PM
It's really not just about height for a female partner. Yes, pairs skaters are more buffed than other skaters (wispy arms and shoulders don't help with overhead lifts), but some have body types that are just naturally smaller-boned than others.

I always thought Myriam Leuenberger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriam_Leuenberger) of Switzerland would have made a good pairs skater, even at 5ft 4 or so. Maybe this is just my natural preference for smaller height differences coming into play, as well. Other than triple twists, I can't really think of another element where good technique couldn't overcome height/weight differences -within reason, of course :D.

Rex
09-11-2012, 05:31 PM
Hotness does not a pairs skater make.
Who will his partner be - a Barbie? :P
I bet HER footwork would get higher levels than his :P.
Let it go Kevin, and just sign some of your loincloth pics and sell them.

PeterG
09-11-2012, 08:15 PM
If his dream was to be a pairs skater, he's left it a bit late. :shuffle:

It's never too late, old-timer... :P

arakwafan2006
09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
This will never happen. Dream on KVP ....

Pretty much... Typical athelete who never reached his potential syndrome...

Zemgirl
09-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Pretty much... Typical athelete who never reached his potential syndrome...
Actually, considering his starting point and his skill set, I think KvdP absolutely reached his potential.

miffy
09-11-2012, 09:21 PM
You guys are all such realists! :lol:

I think this is fantastic news. Whatever happens it will be interesting and we need more interesting things in skating!

ioana
09-11-2012, 09:27 PM
You guys are all such realists! :lol:

I think this is fantastic news. Whatever happens it will be interesting and we need more interesting things in skating!

Seriously...you'd think he announced he planned to beat S/S and V/M to judge by the 'no way' reponses. Sure it's slightly unrealistic, but it would create some publicity for skating & pairs -at least in Belgium. That's never a bad thing.
When Olga Bestandigova paired up with Turkish footballer dude, the overall response was a lot more positive in terms of generating interest in pairs in Turkey. Why can't this be more of the same?

PeterG
09-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Seriously...you'd think he announced he planned to beat S/S and V/M to judge by the 'no way' reponses.

So when Van Der Perren said that he wished to try skating pairs...he did NOT mean that he was stating that he will win the next five Olympic gold medals?

ioana
09-11-2012, 09:49 PM
So when Van Der Perren said that he wished to try skating pairs...he did NOT mean that he was stating that he will win the next five Olympic gold medals?

Shocking, innnit? Unless of course, he pairs up with Gracie Gold. I heard she's not from Belgium, so there's an excellent chance she's the new partner :P.

kirkbiggestfan
09-11-2012, 10:34 PM
http://www.ran.de/de/wintersport/mehr/1201/News/alle-em-medaillen-an-russische-paarlaeufer.html

If that guy (and his beer belly) can finish 5th at Europeans, that gives VDP hope!