PDA

View Full Version : Kevin van der Perren wants to try pair skating

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

blue_idealist
09-10-2012, 11:25 PM
Is Anais Morand looking for a partner or did she move on? There are decent French and German pair skaters looking for partners...

I thought of her right away. She's close by in Switzerland. Too bad he couldn't go to ice dance though and pair up with Khokhlova.. on second thought, what am I thinking? KVDP.. ICE DANCE?!!!!!

orbitz
09-11-2012, 12:30 AM
Life is too short to not go after your dreams. Life is not about succeeding or failing, it's about doing what you love and trying your best.

Van Der Perren is a great example to us all.

So is Sandra Lee !!!

Domshabfan
09-11-2012, 01:07 AM
I thought of her right away. She's close by in Switzerland. Too bad he couldn't go to ice dance though and pair up with Khokhlova.. on second thought, what am I thinking? KVDP.. ICE DANCE?!!!!!

If Andreev can do Ice dancing so can KVDP..:P

As for KVDp being a great example... i would remind you that if he has back problem already, pairs is a bad idea, unless he wants to end up like Mohd. Ali... or he is hoping for his pair's partner to lift him, he is may be looking for his Anissina...

Japanfan
09-11-2012, 02:43 AM
I too thought it was a joke, but if Kevin doesn't feel ready to hang up his skates and wants to give pairs a try, why not? He probably has no illusions about his potential as a pairs skater, but he'll probably still receive funding, which could be a major incentive. He's been pretty tenacious and determined over the years, continuing to keep going even though his results weren't that great relatively speaking. And during that time he has had a few great moments that really thrilled him. He is obviously skating mostly for himself and if it continues to give him motivation and satisfaction, again - why not?

nubka
09-11-2012, 04:04 AM
Good luck, Kevin - go for it!! :respec:

Aussie Willy
09-11-2012, 04:13 AM
Then he'd be Kevin Vanderpairen

:rofl::dog::lol: Sorry, couldn't resist!
:lol: It is the obvious choice.

I think if he wants to give it a go then so be it. Really in the scheme of things there are not that many pairs in the world and if it gets pairs happening in his country then that is not such a bad thing.

Marco
09-11-2012, 07:47 AM
BEST IDEA EVER - skate pairs with Fumie Suguri :eek:

Seriously, he barely has enough power across the ice for himself - to think he will need all the power for lifts, twists and throws as well, is just, well, surreal.

PeterG
09-11-2012, 07:50 AM
I really hope you are being sarcastic. ;)

Actually, that was my annual non-sarcastic post. So everything I post until sometime in 2013 you can assume is sarcasm. :D

TAHbKA
09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
Checking the calendar. Nope, it's not April 1st. What am I missing?

Andrey aka Pushkin
09-11-2012, 09:50 AM
This is a joke, right? He's 30 years old, with no pairs experience and a long list of past injuries. In addition, he is kind of short for a pairs skater, not to mention rather slow.

He is one of the higher single skaters out there, it's just that he's powerfully built, so he looks shorter.

So, good luck to him, I have always wondered what would a pairs program to a bombastic soundtrack look like.

Zemgirl
09-11-2012, 10:27 AM
He is one of the higher single skaters out there, it's just that he's powerfully built, so he looks shorter.
I checked the ISU bio, it says he's 1.77 - tallish for singles, short for pairs. He's taller than Szolkowy and Tran, though.

So, good luck to him, I have always wondered what would a pairs program to a bombastic soundtrack look like.
Well, B/L did the Man in the Iron Mask two years ago, didn't they? But I think KvdP's version would look different for many reasons ;)

I like him, but I'm kind of mystified by this new career path. The IN interview he did after Worlds didn't give the sense that he wanted to continue as a competitive skater. OTOH, considering how many times he's retired and unretired, I guess we should have seen this coming...

allezfred
09-11-2012, 10:31 AM
Life is too short to not go after your dreams.

If his dream was to be a pairs skater, he's left it a bit late. :shuffle:

TAHbKA
09-11-2012, 11:55 AM
If his dream was to be a pairs skater, he's left it a bit late. :shuffle:

I read it `if his dream was to be a skater....':slinkaway

berthesghost
09-11-2012, 01:49 PM
Checking the calendar. Nope, it's not April 1st. What am I missing?
He's partnering up with Fumie? :P

Ziggy
09-11-2012, 02:10 PM
If Andreev can do Ice dancing so can KVDP..:P

Andreev had quite good basic skating. VPD, on the other hand... :shuffle: