PDA

View Full Version : Kevin van der Perren wants to try pair skating

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Kasey
09-10-2012, 04:53 PM
Is Anais Morand looking for a partner or did she move on? There are decent French and German pair skaters looking for partners...

But that's the point. Would a "decent" pair skater from another country want to waste time and effort pairing with an old (for figure skating), short (for pair skating) skater with a long-standing history of back problems who has NEVER done pair skating before? And would have citizenship issues on top of it? Not likely.

antmanb
09-10-2012, 05:04 PM
But that's the point. Would a "decent" pair skater from another country want to waste time and effort pairing with an old (for figure skating), short (for pair skating) skater with a long-standing history of back problems who has NEVER done pair skating before? And would have citizenship issues on top of it? Not likely.

I didn't think reality ever played a part in speculation on potential pairs partners.

ioana
09-10-2012, 05:24 PM

If the only available choices were the less-than-ideal scenario you outlined above & skating on your own for one year, trying to 'maintain skills' while hoping a better partner option becomes available next season, I'd say yes. A willing partner who has some ability and is willing to learn would be a better option that none at all.

caseyedwards
09-10-2012, 05:27 PM
He's like Rockne Brubaker's height. Right off the bat some big trouble. And he would have to learn how to throw and lift but if he wants to try to be a pairs skater that is very interesting.

kirkbiggestfan
09-10-2012, 05:51 PM

The Belgium citizenship is not the hardest one to get...ask Bernard Arnault, the French Billionaire who is about to get it.:lol:

For some skaters, going to the olympics is the ultimate goal. I am not surprised he has already found ladies for try-outs. Now, I want names. :sekret:?

BreakfastClub
09-10-2012, 05:58 PM
Didn't John Baldwin, Jr. begin skating pairs around age 30? He was a single skater for 20 yrs before I ever heard about him skating with Rena Inoue ca 2002/03. Anything is possible.

John skated singles and pairs (IIRC pretty successfully) while he was a junior, then focused on singles for a few years in the 90s before switching to focus on pairs with Rena in 2000. I think he was around 26 or 27 went they teamed up but he had a lot of prior experience with pairs.

hanca
09-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Why would a skater with history of back pain want to do pairs? His back will not appreciate the lifts, twists and thrown jumps.

LilJen
09-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Then he'd be Kevin Vanderpairen

:rofl::dog::lol: Sorry, couldn't resist!

:encore:

Some crazy American must have told him that pairs is the place to be if you can't handle singles. Riiiiight. I agree,with his history of back and hip problems this isn't a great idea.

caseyedwards
09-10-2012, 06:42 PM
He is still skating but cutting out quad training, 3A training, so the back is saved a lot of stress from not doing those things. I am sure his partner will be light because he is not that tall and it may not be as bad.

PeterG
09-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Life is too short to not go after your dreams. Life is not about succeeding or failing, it's about doing what you love and trying your best.

Van Der Perren is a great example to us all.

mag
09-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Life is too short to not go after your dreams. Life is not about succeeding or failing, it's about doing what you love and trying your best.

This!!!

Tesla
09-10-2012, 09:13 PM

:respec:

julieann
09-10-2012, 09:27 PM

Well said! :cool:

kwanfan1818
09-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Sitting out a year while learning how not to drop a woman on her head is probably a good thing.

Ziggy
09-10-2012, 11:01 PM
I am struggling to believe this is for real... Even though given VDP's longevity against all odds, I shouldn't really be surprised.

I really hope you are being sarcastic. ;)