PDA

View Full Version : Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

berthesghost
09-07-2012, 02:25 AM
^ all the articles listed say he was arrested and being held for extradition to ny, which was suppose to happen yesterday.

4rkidz
09-07-2012, 02:31 AM
The text message thing made me think of an episode of Veronica Mars entitled Mars vs. Mars. In it, a teacher is accused of sexually harassing a student, complete with text messages. In court, Veronica demonstrated how easy it was to steal or borrow a phone, send a quick text, and then return the phone, casting doubt on whether or not it was the teacher who sent the texts.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.

500 times.. that's a lot of borrowed/stolen phones :shuffle:

pollyanna
09-07-2012, 02:57 AM
500 times.. that's a lot of borrowed/stolen phones :shuffle:
I repeat, I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.

Debbie S
09-07-2012, 04:53 AM
Story was just on the news. He was denied bail today. It was mentioned that another hearing is scheduled for Monday - I assume that is for extradition to NY.

They did a close-up of the charging document, zooming in on the words "kissed" and "no" (attributed to the alleged victim). His lawyer was interviewed and said they have not yet been given info on the charges. She noted that he was arrested Tuesday morning at home "in front of his young child." Regardless of who's telling the truth/guilty/innocent, let's keep his wife and children in our thoughts - this must be a nightmare for them.

Japanfan
09-07-2012, 06:25 AM
Iceymom's kid probably works or has worked with Sretenski in the past. I've no doubt that Iceymom is speaking the truth when she says neither she, nor anyone she knows of, has experienced anything untoward from Sretenski. So when allegations like this come about it's only natural that she would want to jump to his defence. Yes, she wasn't present at the actual incident[B] but if she knows him well enough to think[/B mine] he wouldn't do something like this she should be able to say so. She's probably stressed about this and angry at the allegations so I think she isn't expressing herself as calmly as she could, which is perfectly natural. Not right but understandable.

All I want to say is that if someone I knew personally was accused of something like this and I was convinced they were innocent, I might not be able to express myself with grace either. This is a really touchy subject (no pun intended :shuffle:) and it's easy for both sides to get heated.

I for one am glad that Iceymom has come forward as something of a character witness defending Sretenski here. It can't be easy.

It would be one thing if Iceymom had said she was shocked and found the allegations hard to believe because". . . It's quite another to be presenting opinion as fact on the internet, including judging the accuser and revealing the accuser's gender. And should she or anyone actually have insider knowledge of the case, it is obvious that it shouldn't be revealed on the internet. Especially given that she or someone else could be called as a witness.

And assuming that Iceymom does know him as the coach of her child and as a member of the rink's ice dance community, does this mean she knows him well enough to pass judgment on his innocence versus guilt? Also, she did not say think as you did - she said know.

I think not. And knowing others who believe he must be innocent as well is rather irrelevant to the case. I'm not passing judgment on this case, but innumerable people charged with or guilty of sexual assault have a group of people who can't believe they would do it. People who commit sexual assault are often ostensibly decent folk and not sleazeballs.

skatemommy
09-07-2012, 12:17 PM
^^^and YOUR name is? :rolleyes: Your affiliation? Your homeclub? Your kid's names and emails?

Twizzler
09-07-2012, 12:29 PM
Moderators- thank you for removing offending post. Can you remove Iceymom from posting here as well?

Ziggy
09-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately, there are many twists and turns to this story, and the veracity, sexual activity with others and mental health status of the accuser will certainly be a very large issues.

Regardless of what the truth is, making a statement like this is just disgusting.

This is the typical mud-throwing, 'blaming the victim' sexist discourse.

Sexual abuse is sexual abuse. It doesn't matter all how sexually active the victim was or wasn't.

Rob
09-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Is is typical to deny bail in cases involving minors or extradition? Because the civil suit was filed a while ago so he knew this investigation was brewing, yet he was at his home, I presume still teaching in MD. Seems like he had plenty of time to flee, but didn't. Did he go to Lake Placid ice dance comp this summer?

Anyway, if they have the phones, they should be able to figure out where the texts came from.

berthesghost
09-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I was wondering the same thing Rob, but decided it must be due to the impending extradition.

It is odd that almost an entire year separates the alleged victim's complaint to police and the arrest. When you think about her having to go to the rink every day after the complaint and face not only him but rabid skate moms like iceymom, it's no wonder she quit the sport. The civil case is making a bit more sense.

Eta: I just realized that they're suing the rink as well, hence all of the skating mom comments letting us know that the alleged victim is in "fact" a lying skank. :rolleyes:

Frau Muller
09-07-2012, 03:30 PM
.....It is odd that almost an entire year separates the alleged victim's complaint to police and the arrest. .....

Great point. Maybe the alleged victim was trying to help police build a case, IF -- repeat, IF -- this was a recurring pattern of behavior by the alleged perpetrator? I guess that details will come out in time.

FOX published this article, with a few more details:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/09/06/arrested-us-skating-coach-accused-sexually-abusing-teen/

The suit, filed in July in Prince George's County, Maryland, by the girl's father, also alleges Sretenski sent more than 500 text messages, including "I go crazy when I look at you" and "I love you" and urged her to delete them.

The girl, identified in court papers as an "elite, nationally acclaimed skater," quit the sport because of what happened and suffered severe emotional distress

snowballs
09-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Maybe the text messages were like "Practice your field moves", "Do 6 camel spins", etc.

I wonder how the girl's parents arrived at the $5 million in damage value?

it is the maximum coverage on the PSA liability insurance
http://www.amerspec.com/psa/insurance_summary.pdf

Frau Muller
09-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Ah, the Russian press has now picked this up. Voice of Russia Engl-lang interview with Sretenski's attorney:

http://english.ruvr.ru/2012_09_06/Figure-skating-couch-arrested/

jjane45
09-07-2012, 05:27 PM
Ah, the Russian press has now picked this up. Voice of Russia Engl-lang interview with Sretenski's attorney:

Titled "Figure skating couch arrested"... Just such a sad situation regardless how the case ends.

jlai
09-07-2012, 05:30 PM

Couch arrested? :)

Sorry cant resist