PDA

View Full Version : Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

overedge
09-06-2012, 09:16 PM
I and many others contributing to this thread are 'on record' having written the word 'alleged' a gazillion times. I don't think that we need to over-allege in every single sentence, overedge. Point taken, nonetheless. :)

I see exactly one "alleged" in both of your posts on the TV reports. Sorry, but when talking about cases like this, what is alleged and what is fact needs to be clearly pointed out.

Frau Muller
09-06-2012, 09:29 PM
How can you allege that I did not allege enough? You are alleging incorrectly!

Rob
09-06-2012, 09:30 PM
It appears there is a civil suit in Maryland and a criminal investigation in NY:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/6/genrikh-sretenski-skating-coach-arrested-md-also-a/

Frau Muller
09-06-2012, 09:31 PM
It appears there is a civil suit in Maryland and a criminal investigation in NY:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/sep/6/genrikh-sretenski-skating-coach-arrested-md-also-a/

It is only alleged. Don't forget that. Anyway, the article mentions it plenty:

The lawsuit filed in July in Prince George’s County, Md., alleges Genrikh Sretenski (GURN’-rick sray-TEN’-ski) kissed the girl and touched her breasts in July 2011 in a hotel room. It also alleges he sent her more than 500 text messages. The lawsuit, filed by the girl’s father, says the girl has ended her skating career because of what happened. As a result, it seeks $5 million in damages.

Wow. Poor girl, if it is true. So the civil suit had been brewing even earlier.

Rob
09-06-2012, 09:36 PM
The article says the lawsuit was actually filed; it is not alleged that the lawsuit was filed. The claims/charges are alleged.

Cocomo
09-06-2012, 10:03 PM
It is only alleged. Don't forget that. Anyway, the article mentions it plenty:

It also alleges he sent her more than 500 text messages.

Alleged 500 text messages from a 50 year old coach to his 16 year old student regardless of content is a bit strange. :slinkaway

Frau Muller
09-06-2012, 10:42 PM
Alleged 500 text messages from a 50 year old coach to his 16 year old student regardless of content is a bit strange. :slinkaway

Right! But we all have to say 'alleged' or be sued. It's like Nancy Grace on TV, biting her lips every time that she has to remind everyone that the crimes said to have been committed by the usual subjects of her TV show are just alleged. (Of course, Nancy will be gloating on tonight's show, now that ex-cop Drew Peterson has been found guilty of murder of wife #3...but that's another story..back to our subject.)

leapfrogonice
09-06-2012, 10:53 PM
Skating making the kind of headlines that go beyond the sports page. Gee. Great.

overedge
09-06-2012, 11:09 PM
Right! But we all have to say 'alleged' or be sued.

I somehow doubt you would think this was so funny if you were charged with a crime, and there were damaging allegations about you being circulated.

orbitz
09-06-2012, 11:24 PM

Maybe the text messages were like "Practice your field moves", "Do 6 camel spins", etc.

I wonder how the girl's parents arrived at the $5 million in damage value?

Latte
09-06-2012, 11:45 PM
I was going to stay out of this ALLEGED charge, but, I must say, that $500 million in damages makes me think this all about money.
:blah:

Domshabfan
09-07-2012, 12:39 AM
Maybe the text messages were like "Practice your field moves", "Do 6 camel spins", etc.

I wonder how the girl's parents arrived at the $5 million in damage value?

I was going to stay out of this ALLEGED charge, but, I must say, that $500 million in damages makes me think this all about money.
:blah:

Wow, that is some jump between the posts. Yes, 5 million is a lot of money.

pollyanna
09-07-2012, 01:13 AM
As for text messages being innocent, if there are indeed 500 of them, even if a few are ambiguous, hopefully the whole 500 together will give a correct picture.
The text message thing made me think of an episode of Veronica Mars entitled Mars vs. Mars. In it, a teacher is accused of sexually harassing a student, complete with text messages. In court, Veronica demonstrated how easy it was to steal or borrow a phone, send a quick text, and then return the phone, casting doubt on whether or not it was the teacher who sent the texts.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.

Sparks
09-07-2012, 01:22 AM
In the legal world, one says "alleged victim (AV)", not accuser. That is my only gripe.

Artistic Skaters
09-07-2012, 01:51 AM
Is he still teaching at the rinks or have his teaching privileges been suspended pending the outcome of the charges & an investigation? There could be some serious liability issues, considering the circumstances, if management & club leaders permit him to continue to teach while the charges are pending & anything else happened.