PDA

View Full Version : Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

Frau Muller
09-14-2012, 04:13 PM
Latest news:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2012-09-13/news/bs-md-ho-sretenski-arraignment-set-20120913_1_lake-placid-police-olympic-skaters-ice-rink

Genrikh is in NY and the arraignment just began (11AM local time).

From the article -
Whether the criminal charges and civil case are about the same alleged incident is unknown. The indictment will not be unsealed until Sretenski is arraigned.

heckles
09-14-2012, 04:27 PM
I thought age of consent was 16 in the US, isn't it?

In some states there are different ages based on the adult's relationship to a child. For example, if the adult is just a neighbor of the child, the age of consent is 16. If the adult has some type of authority over the child--such as a coach, teacher or minister--the age of consent may be 18.

I think the best rule of thumb is, if you have to check your state's laws to find out if the shag is legal, she's too young for you.

Twizzler
09-14-2012, 04:45 PM
I'd be very surprised if they did that. They haven't done stuff like that in the past.

?? The Mero's, Bob Young, an official recently got a ban (drawing a blank on the name), and there was a free skating coach who I believe was banned back in early 2000's (not 100% sure so I don't want to post their name). There is precedent.

If the text messages allude to some sort of "affair" as some have posted, that is enough to warrant some kind of action from PSA.

MacMadame
09-14-2012, 04:46 PM
From the article -
[I]Whether the criminal charges and civil case are about the same alleged incident is unknown.

Is there really any indication that they'd be different?

berthesghost
09-14-2012, 05:08 PM
I think it's logistics/geography. He allegedly fondled her in ny. He allegedly stalked her in md resulting in her ending her career.

From what's been published, I gather that she quit back in aug '11, so the club might have know at least the accusations.

Frau Muller
09-14-2012, 05:09 PM

Earlier, some of the posters from the Gardens Arena area had hinted at that. I guess that we will soon find out, as details of the alleged NY incident will be revealed after the arraignment.

SHARPIE
09-14-2012, 11:47 PM
Right, next post that's deemed unsuitable will result in this thread being closed and possible permanent banning of the user/s involved. Please be mindful of this.

michiruwater
09-15-2012, 03:24 AM
In Maryland:

An exception to the age of consent is that if a person in a "position of authority" (full-time, permanent employee) engages in any sexual contact with any minor under age 18 or victim specified above, that constitutes a sexual offense in the fourth degree.

So it is illegal regardless.

flipforsynchro
09-15-2012, 03:46 AM
And this is relevant how? Rhetorical question. PLEASE don't respond!

As a highschool freshman, my geometry teacher hit on me. When I would go to his desk to retrieve my quizzes and tests, he'd have notes written to show me. He'd comment on my appearance in the hallway. He even tracked me down in the hallway and handed me a folded up paper, which turned out to be a map to his house! He then asked me to meet him there. I was 15. He was probably in his late 30s. It was a horrible experience. I never told anyone except my best friend and my older brother. I was terrified my grades would be affected or worse. But I was a tough 15 year old. His creepy teacher friend came up to me in study hall to ask me about the sleaze teacher, and I told the creepy teacher if the sleaze ever made any more comments or suggestions, I would tell his wife. I still can't believe I said that, but everything stopped right there.

I had nothing to do with this teacher's behavior. He was a sleaze. Period.

Anyone in a position of authority that acts inappropriately toward a student or otherwise is WRONG. 100% WRONG. There is absolutely no reason to examine or even comment on the minor's behavior. PERIOD. To think otherwise is absolutely wrong and warped.

O-

I never said it was right. I was just pointing out that there ARE 16 year old girls who want to get with much older men. I seriously doubt that is the case here, and it doesn't seem to happen much, but it does happen.

sarakimm
09-15-2012, 04:03 AM
I think the best rule of thumb is, if you have to check your state's laws to find out if the shag is legal, she's too young for you.

:lol:

sarakimm
09-15-2012, 04:07 AM
I CANNOT believe some of these posts. Is 16 the age of consent or 17???? He is 50! He is her teacher! It is all too young, it is WRONG. Legal or illegal, it is MORALLY wrong for a teacher to fondle his teenage student. Again, if this were your daughter, would it matter if she was 16 or 17???

kwanfan1818
09-15-2012, 05:22 AM
In Maryland:

So it is illegal regardless.
Is "full-time, permanent employee" the only definition of "position of authority?" From what's been written so far, Sretenski was neither a full-time employee at the rink nor a full-time employee of the skater/her family. He would have been a independent contractor. Do contractors like coaches, Girl Scout leaders, adjunct professors, etc. fall into the correct legal category?

misskarne
09-15-2012, 08:01 AM
Is "full-time, permanent employee" the only definition of "position of authority?" From what's been written so far, Sretenski was neither a full-time employee at the rink nor a full-time employee of the skater/her family. He would have been a independent contractor. Do contractors like coaches, Girl Scout leaders, adjunct professors, etc. fall into the correct legal category?

I think you'll find that sporting coaches definitely come under the "position of authority" rule. I know they do here.

michiruwater
09-15-2012, 08:08 AM
I've never heard of a coach not falling into 'position of authority', so I would be shocked if he did not qualify for that rule, as weirdly worded as it is.

snowballs
09-15-2012, 02:47 PM
voice of russia has a little update:
Genrikh got bail of $50,000 in NY; next court date Dec 6th

http://voicerussia.com/radio_broadcast/70924886/88285034.html

New York's ABC-TV station also covered the arraignment. They say he is facing a possible 2 to 7 years in prison:

http://www.fox44abc22yourvoice.com/story/19549573/former-olympian-accused-of-child-sex-abuse