PDA

View Full Version : Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16

Frau Muller
09-13-2012, 01:29 PM
I don't think that this update, since the Monday bail hearing, has been posted:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48974468/ns/local_news-washington_dc/t/maryland-figure-skating-coach-released/

Genrikh DID leave the Maryland jail on Tuesday evening. The countdown is on for him to turn himself in to NY authorities. Deadline is tomorrow (Friday) evening...exactly 72 hrs after his Tuesday-evening release from the jail in Maryland.

twizzletoes76
09-13-2012, 10:40 PM
I sincerely hope he turns himself in. This has to be a nightmare for himself and his lovely wife, Julia; however, it is not getting to get any easier. Genrikh needs to face the charges and be honest to the best of his ability. I can not imagine, given what has been alleged as charges, that he will be able to get out of this without penalty. But, it does not sound like he forcibly attacked the girl in question in any way. It just "sounds" (again, based on the charges) that he made some very unethical advances toward her. Part of the problem I have to wonder comes from a certain culture clash. I have seen Genrikh before and he really is far more Russian than American. If the charges are correct, that he invited the girl to his hotel and tried "to start things up with her"; well, that is clearly wrong and, given the girl's age, against the law. Punishments are severe as we can see. But I doubt the same sort of conduct would have the same sort of repercussion in Russia, or, even other parts of Europe. And, my guess is that Genrikh did not really make the connection on how wrongly US law enforcement would see such conduct. Now, I want to make it clear: I am not trying to excuse such behavior. Any attempt, particularly an attempt made by an educator or authority figure, to initiate sex on someone of an adolescent age is not acceptable. But, I can sort of see how Genrikh might not have thought so much about the distinction between say a 16 year old girl and an 18 yr old one (as I believe 18 is a legal age in MD). Attempts such as he made with say an 18 yr old girl, who was a still student, would still be extremely wrong for a number of reasons. But I don't think in Russia a married coach trying to have sex with say a precocious adolescent skating student would have been that much of a problem. If word got idea, people might say said coach is a swine or a pig but I don't think said coach would have landed in jail unless some forced encounter really occurred. Sorry, for lengthy discourse on this but I really think Genrikh is at odds on many ways with American culture: I doubt he will get out of this easily and I would expect some jail time. But his best defense, as I said at the start is going to be to turn himself. He needs to face the charges and be honest about the occurrences to the best of his ability, otherwise, the jury, or whoever is arbitrating, might think there is more behind this than there is.

triple_toe
09-13-2012, 11:20 PM
It does seem to be a bit of a "tradition" for Russian coaches to date their students, under age or not.

Carolla5501
09-13-2012, 11:49 PM
First, Icymom is correct when she talks about Genrikh. His reputation as a premier coach and incredibly skilled choreographer are stellar. I can tell you without a doubt after talking to the accusers family that they were completely blindsided and shocked when they found out that this had happened. .

And this proves..

That we have the DEFENDERS at all costs. (See Penn State for the final outcome on that... after all Mr. Sandusky had a stellar reputation too")

There's way to much "DEFEND at all cost" between this poster and Icymom for me to trust it. The truth is in the middle somewhere, but if you are unwilling to even consider that someone may have done something wrong then... you can't be objective either.

tralfamadorian
09-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Isn't it a just waaaay too early to tell him to just accept his supposed jailtime when we basically don't even have the slightest clue about what happened?

For all we know, which is hardly more than nothing, this may or may not have been a consensual thing, and in that case it may be unethical, but not illegal and certainly not criminal. And yes I know people are again going to roll their eyes at the suggestion, but stranger things have happened. I'm not saying that is definitely what happened, because I also don't know, but at this point that is one of the possibilities and giving people the benefit of doubt should go both ways.

What the media reported so far came mostly from the civil lawsuit, which is just (part of) one side of the story, and it's way too early to jump to conclusions based on just that. (or that fact that he's Russian, or that she's 16, etc etc)

misskarne
09-14-2012, 12:19 AM
For all we know, which is hardly more than nothing, this may or may not have been a consensual thing, and in that case it may be unethical, but not illegal and certainly not criminal.

If she's under the age of consent then it's criminal. Whether you like it or not, whether consent was involved or not. End of story.

tralfamadorian
09-14-2012, 12:24 AM
I thought age of consent was 16 in the US, isn't it?

Artistic Skaters
09-14-2012, 12:26 AM
It would vary state to state.

tralfamadorian
09-14-2012, 12:42 AM
Ok so I checked it's 16 in MD and 17 in NY.

twizzletoes76
09-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Wait, so if age of consent is 16, then maybe there is not so much of a problem here? A ruined reputation, yes. . . . But, tralfamadorian is right. . . we need to know what is in the sealed charges to understand the extent of all this. I probably spoke to quickly before. It will be hard for Sretenski to recover again in terms of his coaching career; but, from a legal standpoint, this is certainly fightable.

RFOS
09-14-2012, 03:34 AM
Wait, so if age of consent is 16, then maybe there is not so much of a problem here? A ruined reputation, yes. . . . But, tralfamadorian is right. . . we need to know what is in the sealed charges to understand the extent of all this. I probably spoke to quickly before. It will be hard for Sretenski to recover again in terms of his coaching career; but, from a legal standpoint, this is certainly fightable.

The alleged incident in the hotel room happened in Lake Placid, which is why he's being asked to turn himself into New York authorities, not Maryland authorities, and the alleged victim and/or her family reported him to the authorities and are filing a suit then I think that would imply it wasn't consensual. If it wasn't consensual then it would be a crime regardless of the age of consent. So yes, it could be quite a problem for him.

Frau Muller
09-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Twelve hours to go. Hopefully he'll make it up to NY today, if he's not already there.

berthesghost
09-14-2012, 02:18 PM
It will be hard for Sretenski to recover again in terms of his coaching career; but, from a legal standpoint, this is certainly fightable.I feel the opposite. He was accused a year ago of doing terrible things that would make him negligent in his job, yet his boss kept him on, and his clients all kept him on teaching their kids. Even now that it's all blown up they are coming out of the woodwork to defend him (and thus themselves) and famous skating legends back in Russia are doing press fluff about how it's all just overreaction by silly Americans. If he gets off, he's just one plane ride away from job security with the Russian federation.

But the fact that they made him put up his house as collateral shows that the charges against him are pretty serious and may be hard to shake. After all, so far niether he nor his defenders have denied a single charge, they just deny that any of it was "wrong".

Twizzler
09-14-2012, 03:47 PM
I feel the opposite. He was accused a year ago of doing terrible things that would make him negligent in his job, yet his boss kept him on, and his clients all kept him on teaching their kids. Even now that it's all blown up they are coming out of the woodwork to defend him (and thus themselves) and famous skating legends back in Russia are doing press fluff about how it's all just overreaction by silly Americans. If he gets off, he's just one plane ride away from job security with the Russian federation.

Since the arrest happened a year after the alleged incident, is it certain that his boss and the rink knew of the allegations? Genrich's arrest may have completely come as a shock to everyone at the rink.

I agree that he can easily be accepted back in Russia if he escapes the charges. I would think that he'll get some kind of ban from USFS/PSA even if he's found not guilty. Going back to Russia might be his best bet.

MacMadame
09-14-2012, 03:53 PM
I would think that he'll get some kind of ban from USFS/PSA even if he's found not guilty.

I'd be very surprised if they did that. They haven't done stuff like that in the past.

I also would be surprised if sending tons of text messages to a student and fondling them against their will was really acceptable behavior in Russia. Maybe it wouldn't be illegal there but I would think that people would still be tsk-tsking about it and that there might be assignments that wouldn't be given and other political fallout.