PDA

View Full Version : Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16

valyrian
09-08-2012, 07:19 PM
One last piece people may find interesting. At the time of the incident, the family filed an ethics violation grievance against Sretenski with the USFS and PSA and told the rink what had happened. The USFS accepted the case but no investigation ensued because of the pending court cases in PG County and NY. I always found this odd because this inaction put the USFA and Gardens at risk for knowing something was brewing and looking the other way. Lots of young girls and boys were placed in the hands of these coaches. I think some investigation would have been better than none. This may be at the heart of the civil suit.

I may be reading this wrong or misinterpeting this. I hope I am. He was still coaching for a year after the complaint was made? USFSA did not take any action against him even with a serious complaint on file?

kwgrant
09-08-2012, 07:41 PM
I may be reading this wrong or misinterpeting this. I hope I am. He was still coaching for a year after the complaint was made? USFSA did not take any action against him even with a serious complaint on file?

Correct. Apparently the pending court activity started over a year ago trumped even a hint of an investigation by the skating world. Go figure. Sort of like the NCAA and Penn State. Even with Genrikh in jail, USFS is still discussing whether to just investigate the ethics charges. These charges have a much lower burden of proof and not all that much weight one way or the other. But not to even investigate is a strange path to take long after CPS found that the charges were credible and NY has thought enough to issue a warrant for his arrest.

kwgrant
09-08-2012, 07:46 PM
Oh, so B/M's move to Linichuck/Karponosov in Delaware 2 yrs ago was a step down from staying with Genrich at Gardens? :shuffle:

Other than that, I agree with most of what you've written, kwgrant.

For B/M the move was a good one. I was only relaying that neither wanted to move. They just wanted to switch from an American focused approach to a Russian approach with Genrikh. When the coaches denied the request they moved to PA b

kwgrant
09-08-2012, 07:49 PM
I will have to disagree with Icymom's and your statement, not everyone feels the same about his reputation as a premier coach and incredibly skilled choreographer. Genrikh was a beautiful ice dancer, but that doesn't always carry over to becoming a great coach or an upstanding member of society.
When I first heard the "alleged" news my first reaction along with several of the skating circle I know was...can't say I was surprised or shocked!

Icymom's statement below is disgusting! I'll also add that not all of his former students are providing their good wishes or support.

I'm glad she was bounced too. Trying to deliberately hurt someone who has already been betrayed is cowardly for sure. My point was that the family liked Genrikh and never saw anything like this coming.

If you know something I'm sure the police would love to know. Everyone was aware of the locker room humor and the verbal denigration of many of the girls at the rink. Whatever you know that reflects your lack of surprise at this should be presented to the authorities.

kwgrant
09-08-2012, 07:51 PM
Arthur Werner is a mud-raker of the worst sort and completely unreliable as a source.

Iceymom, in this very thread, gave the name and other personal details of the victim. Just because admins deleted the post and gave her the boot doesn't mean people didn't see it and don't have a right to be completely disgusted with her and slam her for it. It has nothing to do with disagreeing with her and everything to do with bad behavior on her part.

Agree completely. If you knew her you would know this is something she would do in a heartbeat.

kwgrant
09-08-2012, 08:25 PM
What an awful thing for everyone involved. I don't know the legal process, but is it possible that USFS and PSA were advised by the district attornys already investigating the case? For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that the current USFS president was a lawyer herself, so I wouldn't imagine her doing anything that would put the organization in jeopardy. If the records were sealed or in the case of an accusation not yet brought to trial, would that even show up on a CORI check? If it wouldn't then technically, I think he'd still be in compliance with USFS requirements (ie. passing a CORI check and PSA courses). In these situations, it seems like an impossibility to protect the rights of both the alleged victim and the alleged accused before a judgement is handed down in a court of law. I'm also really surprised by the previous poster who was trying to identify the alleged victim. It probably takes a court order to have the admins of this site turn over the posting details of that person, but if I understand technology correctly, that would give them the physical location of his/her computer. Even if you believe this is a witch hunt, you still have to respect those involved and let it get worked out through the justice system.

I believe the ethical case is completely separate from the CPS or NY cases. In fact, because the charges in the criminal case are sealed, we can be sure that all the information released so far by the press and news media is a combination of hearsay, the CPS finding which is public, and the civil case. No one knows yet what's in the NY case that landed him in jail.

2sk8
09-08-2012, 09:13 PM
Correct. Apparently the pending court activity started over a year ago trumped even a hint of an investigation by the skating world. Go figure. Sort of like the NCAA and Penn State. Even with Genrikh in jail, USFS is still discussing whether to just investigate the ethics charges. These charges have a much lower burden of proof and not all that much weight one way or the other. But not to even investigate is a strange path to take long after CPS found that the charges were credible and NY has thought enough to issue a warrant for his arrest.

I am involved in ethics investigations for a different profession, and the rules provide that ethics complaints are stayed pending resolution of any ongoing court cases, so this approach is not unheard of.

OTOH, I am shocked someone actually posted the name of the minor involved here. That, in and of itself, could be the subject of a grievance, at minimum!

kwgrant
09-08-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks. This seems to be the prevailing view.

kwgrant
09-09-2012, 01:38 AM
NOT HEARSAY, FACT! Personal knowledge.

Interesting. Have you seen the evidence that's been sealed by NY? You must be very special. It's my understanding that child protective services in PG County and in Lake Placid filed the original complaints, not the skater or their family. I think this was done according to the law because of the alleged victims age.

sarakimm
09-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Wow. Is it EVER appropriate for an adult teacher to be sending hundreds of text messages to an underage student? Teachers out there?? Your thoughts? Totally unacceptable in these parts. Not illegal, but unethical. How about this: if your daughter's English teacher asked her to meet him in a hotel room? And texted his love for her? Who would defend that? "NOT HEARSAY, FACT" is right -- but not in the way Icymom meant. A lot of it may be hearsay. But the texts tell the tale. The fact that they were sent is a FACT. Something wrong going on there.

TAHbKA
09-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Wow. Is it EVER appropriate for an adult teacher to be sending hundreds of text messages to an underage student? Teachers out there?? Your thoughts?

You mean in general? Over the years? Well, yes. For example if the lesson time is changed or if the pupil has to bring something special (say, a violin teacher might ask to bring some notes that she forgot to mention during the class). Say, if the kid was studying violin for 10 years I reckon 50 messages a year are not a terribly big deal... ?

Frau Muller
09-09-2012, 04:04 PM
...Say, if the kid was studying violin for 10 years I reckon 50 messages a year are not a terribly big deal... ?

I hardly think that this is what sarakimm meant when she asked the question.

TAHbKA
09-09-2012, 04:11 PM
I hardly think that this is what sarakimm meant when she asked the question.

You ask a silly question you get a silly answer.

kwgrant
09-09-2012, 05:44 PM
Sometimes you just have to shake your head in disbelief and move on. This is a case where over 500 text messages were sent over a one month period, many of them, according to reports, late in the evening, and all of them following a full day of training. Is there any doubt or any possible scenario that one could make up to rationalize this??? This is at a minimum a clear case of incredibly unprofessional and unethical behavior.

nolincl
09-09-2012, 05:54 PM
As the President of the Gardens Figure Skating Club, I want to make it clear that none of the people involved were members of the Gardens Figure Skating Club, worked for the Club, or skated on ice the club had furnished. Nor is the club involved in the lawsuit about this matter.

Chris Nolin Tinkelman
Gardens Figure Skating Club