PDA

View Full Version : Best Bronze medal performance by a pair in the Olympics?

blue_idealist
09-04-2012, 02:19 AM
Same thing as the dance poll I just posted. :)

judgejudy27
09-04-2012, 04:28 AM
Brasseur & Eisler in 1994. No contest at all amongst this list. Shen & Zhou will probably get alot of votes due to popularity but Savchenko & Szolkowy from 2010 (despite not skating great) would have even easily beaten S&Z from both 2002 and 2006, especialy factoring in the short program. This despite that I think Shishkova & Naumov maybe should have won the bronze. Definitely the best pairs event in history in Lillehammer.

Vash01
09-04-2012, 06:19 AM
S&Z in 2006 were good enough for a silver medal. I thought of voting for B&E in 1994 because they skated clean, but they could have been beaten by Shishkova-Naumov's performance for the bronze.

briancoogaert
09-04-2012, 07:48 AM
S&Z in 2006 were good enough for a silver medal. I thought of voting for B&E in 1994 because they skated clean, but they could have been beaten by Shishkova-Naumov's performance for the bronze.
Didn't she have a hand down on the throw 3Toe ?
My heart would vote for Savchenko&Szolkowy, because it was one of the most beautiful LP ever. But I admit they made too many mistakes.
So, I agree about Brasseur & Eisler. I was so happy with the performances and results when I watched 1994 Lillehammer Pairs competition.

blue_idealist
09-05-2012, 12:28 AM
B&E in '94 were great, much better than in '92.

escaflowne9282
09-05-2012, 02:56 PM
I must admit to being surprised that there are so many votes for S&Z 2002. IMHO that performance was a mess from start to finish.

There was a fall on the quad, his turning out of the side by side triple salchow, her falling out of position on their first lift and the two subsequent lifts being shorter than normal, SBS spins that were in different sections of the rink with the worst synchronization of the final flight, a triple twist that (unusually for them) actually had a very sloppy/awkward landing and SBS double axels that started and landed at different times.

It can be argued that any , perhaps even all, of pairs 4-6 deserved to finish ahead of them. Ironically, their third was the only unanimous vote of the top 10 from the judges that night.

Concerning Pairs 2002, I’ve always felt that there was a consensus among the judges that if they attempted the quad, even if they fell on it, they would still get the benefit of the doubt due in part to their reputation and the fact that they were trying to push the envelope in terms of technical prowess.

judgejudy27
09-05-2012, 03:38 PM
3 things in life are certain. Death, taxes, and Shen & Zhao being vastly overrated in all FSU polls.

dawnie
09-05-2012, 05:28 PM
I must admit to being surprised that there are so many votes for S&Z 2002. IMHO that performance was a mess from start to finish.

There was a fall on the quad, his turning out of the side by side triple salchow, her falling out of position on their first lift and the two subsequent lifts being shorter than normal, SBS spins that were in different sections of the rink with the worst synchronization of the final flight, a triple twist that (unusually for them) actually had a very sloppy/awkward landing and SBS double axels that started and landed at different times.

It can be argued that any , perhaps even all, of pairs 4-6 deserved to finish ahead of them. Ironically, their third was the only unanimous vote of the top 10 from the judges that night.

Concerning Pairs 2002, Iíve always felt that there was a consensus among the judges that if they attempted the quad, even if they fell on it, they would still get the benefit of the doubt due in part to their reputation and the fact that they were trying to push the envelope in terms of technical prowess.

IIRC, it was the opposite. They were advised not to attempt it from judges and officials according to the book "The Second Mark". I don't remember the specifics but: the general consensus among the judges was that S/Z have the bronze locked up but taking such a huge risk can change things. And I believe S/Z and their coach knew this and they were like screw it, we aren't placing higher than 3rd anyway so might as well go for it.
Sandra Bezic also alluded to this on the NBC broadcast saying that S/Z have been debating whether or not to risk a medal or make history.

escaflowne9282
09-05-2012, 06:37 PM
IIRC, it was the opposite. They were advised not to attempt it from judges and officials according to the book "The Second Mark". I don't remember the specifics but: the general consensus among the judges was that S/Z have the bronze locked up but taking such a huge risk can change things. And I believe S/Z and their coach knew this and they were like screw it, we aren't placing higher than 3rd anyway so might as well go for it.
Sandra Bezic also alluded to this on the NBC broadcast saying that S/Z have been debating whether or not to risk a medal or make history.

Yes, it did seem as though that was the situation heading into SLC; however, the fact that they received unanimous votes despite what was, for them, a horrible skate, with pairs 4-6 having much stronger performances makes me tend to think otherwise.
Looking at that panel, it seems as though the judges felt S&Z had really paid there dues and were trying to push the sport forward.

I disagree that they thought they weren't getting any higher than third anyway. While it may not have been likely that they would do better, they went on record as saying that they were attempting the quad in order to be a challenge to the top two.

Proustable
09-06-2012, 12:51 AM
The attempt was still awesome, though. The Skate Gods were not kind in that moment.

skateboy
09-09-2012, 06:19 AM
Brasseur and Eisler, '94.