PDA

View Full Version : Gay couple sues United Airlines

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

skateboy
08-30-2012, 08:42 AM
Here's the story:

http://www.newser.com/story/153115/gay-couple-sues-airline-over-sex-toy-incident.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united

FarFarAway
08-30-2012, 11:52 AM
I hate airlines, the are always declaring a lot, which doesn't exist in reality. I hope American laws are more advanced and the guys will win. In Russia a case like this is lost.

orbitz
08-30-2012, 12:19 PM
Leave the sex toy at home the next time. Help the local economy instead and buy locally grown cucumbers instead.

cruisin
08-30-2012, 01:22 PM
I agree that what was done was terrible and humiliating. But, how would the luggage handler know the owner of the bag was gay? Not sure they can prove sex discrimination. Unless the toy was specific, in some way?

Rex
08-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Leave the sex toy at home the next time. Help the local economy instead and buy locally grown cucumbers instead.

:rofl:

inskate
08-30-2012, 01:43 PM
I agree that what was done was terrible and humiliating. But, how would the luggage handler know the owner of the bag was gay? Not sure they can prove sex discrimination. Unless the toy was specific, in some way?

Well, if the toy in question happened to be a dildo/vibrator/etc., it could raise the suspicions of a luggage handler with no imagination (especially if he/she was on a hunt for lesser gays).
In any case, whoever did it was an idiot. It was a horrible thing to do, regardless of the sexual orientation of the toy owner.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

cruisin
08-30-2012, 02:20 PM
Well, if the toy in question happened to be a dildo/vibrator/etc., it could raise the suspicions of a luggage handler with no imagination (especially if he/she was on a hunt for lesser gays).
In any case, whoever did it was an idiot. It was a horrible thing to do, regardless of the sexual orientation of the toy owner.

That was my point, it was a lousy thing to do. But, they are claiming that it was done because they are gay. That, may or may not be true. Even if it was a dildo/vibrator, in a man's bag, it could still be for a woman to use. I think the jerk was a scumbag, regardless.

VIETgrlTerifa
08-30-2012, 02:44 PM
It's hard to know without first knowing what kind of sex toy it was...Either way, I do think there's a case here.

BigB08822
08-30-2012, 03:36 PM
Too bad this is going to court in Texas. May as well be Russia.

milanessa
08-30-2012, 03:44 PM
That was my point, it was a lousy thing to do. But, they are claiming that it was done because they are gay. That, may or may not be true. Even if it was a dildo/vibrator, in a man's bag, it could still be for a woman to use. I think the jerk was a scumbag, regardless.

They said they thought they were targeted because they're gay but did not say that was the basis of their suit.

berthesghost
08-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Why was it covered in a "greasy foul-smelling substance" ? Did the baggage handler use it? :scream:

MacMadame
08-30-2012, 04:13 PM
I doubt the people in the back screening luggage had any idea who it belonged to. They probably just are prudish and decided to punish whomever for daring to enjoy sex!

topaz
08-30-2012, 07:52 PM
It will hard to prove that the airline handlers/inspectors knew the bag belonged to a gay male. That's going to be hard to prove. You can pack adult toys in your luggage but you need to remove the batteries or pack a sex toy in your carry on. Either disclose it to the tsa inspector or ask to be moved to a private room for inspection.

Maybe it's time for them to buy sex toy bags.
http://www.holisticwisdom.com/sex-toy-storage.htm

5 Tips for Traveling with sex toys (http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/Media/airport-security-embarrassed-personal-items-luggage/story?id=10818596&page=2#.UD-0ssFlRKg)
Travel Tips for Tips for Traveling With Adult Toys

Packing items you want to keep private in your checked luggage is the simplest way to avoid mishaps in the security line, thought there's no guarantee that "your beloved companion" won't disappear from your suitcase, the company warns. Baggage screeners may not know what it is and remove it just to be safe. Their suggestion: travel light, and if you have to use a carry-on, make sure pack small equipment. For those who feel like they must travel with larger accessories, pack them but add a label identifying the items. And remember, the 3-ounce liquids rule also applies to lubricants.

Here are some other tips from Jimmyjane:

If Possible, Remove the Batteries: This is the surefire way to prevent a sex toy from accidentally turning on during transit and discharging all its battery power. Place your batteries in a plastic bag and store them separately.

Choose Products With a Lock Feature: If you're traveling with a rechargeable vibrating toy, or one with a battery can't be removed, check if it has a lock feature. This will prevent it from turning on, even if its buttons are accidentally pressed.

Pack Small/Discreetly Designed Products: Small toys are perfect for travel, as they can be stashed just about anywhere and are less likely to draw attention. Alternatively, a larger vibrator with a simple, understated design (e.g. no zebra stripes or glittery rabbit ears) can be an ideal option.

Pack It Between Other Items: Rather than let a sex toy roam freely in your carry-on or luggage, pack it in a carrying case or plastic bag and place it between layers of clothing. Should your bag get searched, this will buy you time to quietly explain that you're carrying a sex accessory and ask that your bag be searched in private.

milanessa
08-30-2012, 07:54 PM
It will hard to prove that the airline handlers/inspectors knew the bag belonged to a gay male.

I doubt they'll try - the act was egregious enough regardless of the traveler's orientation.

julieann
08-30-2012, 08:02 PM
I think there are a lot of facts missing from this story. They never specified in the story how the airline concluded the baggage belonged to a gay couple simply by having a sex toy. It may have got switched on :rollin: pre flight. They are embarrassing themselves far more with the story and lawsuit then they ever did at the airport.