PDA

View Full Version : Which Skaters From Which Country (Other Than Your Own) Are You MOST Drawn To?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

PeterG
08-25-2012, 07:23 AM
I think about this topic every now and then, and while I have favourite skaters from pretty much every country that has figure skaters, I think I've liked pretty much every skater or team from France that's had any international success. I started thinking about the various French skaters and realized, "I have never found any French skater or team to be boring". I know the song is about the U.S.A., but the thought that just went through my head was, "God Bless The French" (says the devout atheist!). :lol:

So which country, other than your own, has the skaters that you just looooove? :D

P.S. I made the poll multiple choice, so you can pick as many countries as you like (love). :)

Vash01
08-25-2012, 07:34 AM
For me:

Russia- G&G, B&S, M&D, Protopopovs, T&M, S&N, V&T, K&S, Plushenko, Yagudin, Kulik, Urmanov, Abt, Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Tuktamysheva, Radianova, Lipnitskaya, K&P, B&B, K&O, U&Z, A&S, N&K

Japan- Ito, Asada, Arakawa, Takahashi, Sato, Hanyu, Nakano

Ukraine- Petrenko, Baiul, Volosozhar

Canada- Orser, Browning

love_skate2011
08-25-2012, 07:40 AM
from the current and new crops

Russia - women/girls, pairs, some ice dancers
USA - men/boys, women/girls
China - men/boys, pairs
Japan - men/boys, women/girls ( especially to Hanyu the Prince of FS )
Canada - maybe ice dance ? but I don't watch much ice dancing

spikydurian
08-25-2012, 07:46 AM
My country is not listed so it is easy to make ticks without feeling like a traitor! Peter G, I assume 'skaters' include CURRENT Seniors and Juniors. I like to be specific. :D

skateboy
08-25-2012, 07:56 AM
I loooooove the Japanese skaters!

misskarne
08-25-2012, 08:01 AM
Russia - Plushenko, Gachinski, Yagudin, Kulik, Abt, Tuktamysheva

USA - Brown and Farris, with a small fondness for Abbott

l'etoile
08-25-2012, 08:25 AM
Michelle Kwan! B Boitano! Peggy Flemming! Jeremy Abbot! A Yagudin! Evgeny Plushenko! Irina Slutskaya! K/O! oh, and I forgot to vote for Canada which has produced V/M, Chan, Kurt Browning, B Orser, B/K:D

Loves_Shizuka
08-25-2012, 08:39 AM
I don't care where a skater is from. If i like them I like them. I'm a Brit - I can't say I'm "drawn" to British skaters anymore than I am anyone else. At all.

That being said I do have a thing for Finns (Korpi, Lepisto, R/K :D ) and Japanese ladies.

I also love the Frenchies - Bonaly, Hubert, Gusmeroli, A/P, Duchesnays, Joubert, Amodio, Dambier, Abitbol/Bernadis :smokin: :glamor:

Finally, I do pretty much love ALL the Russians :cheer: :40beers:

flipforsynchro
08-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Russia and Canada.

And the Czech Republic. Verner and Brezina:swoon: are so sexy and talented. And that dance team was full of voids.

centerpt1
08-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Japan for sure. So much talent.
Second: tie Canada and Russia
Hon Mention- love the Italian Ladies (used to love their dance teams- but not so much lately)

ChelleC
08-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Japan and Russia.

nuge
08-25-2012, 03:44 PM
Always been drawn to the Russian skaters and the French :)

skfan
08-25-2012, 05:37 PM
i saw hwi choi at JGP courchevel, and youtube linked up a lot of suggested vids of korean skaters. i must say i like the attention to beautiful arm and hand movements from many of the korean ladies in these videos--thank you ms. kim for your legacy. :)

it's not just the korean ladies though--ziquan zhao and zijun li have near lu chen level arm movements, too :)

OTOH i will always favor the US ladies because they have the nicest layback spins the world over and some of the nicest spirals.

i like many of the japanese ladies, too--mao asada, haruna suzuki, shion kokubun, haruka imai. daisuke takahashi is my favorite among the men (kozuka is second).

and i like ms. viljanen from finland--i prefer her to korpi, maybe even lepisto. back in the day i loved baiul and swevcenko and M&D. so i guess the country doesn't matter after all, unless you're talking about layback spins :)

zilam98
08-25-2012, 07:00 PM
i tend to immediately look for russian skaters for their classical styling and sometimes voidiness

Zokko!
08-25-2012, 08:17 PM
In this order: Russia - Japan - China - France - Johnny Weir! :swoon: