PDA

View Full Version : Which Skaters From Which Country (Other Than Your Own) Are You MOST Drawn To?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Shyjosie
08-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't care where a skater is from. If i like them I like them.
Yes. :respec:

The ones who I feel drawn to are from a lot of different countries:
Russia/Soviet Union: Rodnina/Zaitsev, Klimova/Ponomarenko,
Canada: Cranston, Orser
Great Britain: Cousins, the Kerrs
Switzerland: Biellmann, Lambiel
France: the Duchesnays, Bonaly, Anissina/Peizerat, Candeloro
Italy: Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, Faiella/Scali
Bulgaria: Denkova/Staviski (who else?)
Finland: Rahkamo/Kokko and the fabulous synchro teams from Finland
Japan: Ito, Oda

os168
08-25-2012, 11:25 PM
I see the skater and don't see the nationality. They could be martian for all I care :P (Actually I do wonder sometimes, some of them seems unreal.)

Given the size of the market in Korea that financially benefit the sport, I do think it deserve to be listed properly and not discounted as some 'other'.

Not to mention the amount of times the flag or the anthem showed up these past 5 years except the last year relative to many countries on that list. :)

The Accordion
08-26-2012, 12:58 AM
I too adore skaters from many countries outside Canada!

Finland Rahkomo and Koko
France Annisina Peizerat
Switzerland Stephane Lambiel
China Chen Lu and Shen and Zhao
Great Britain Torvill and Dean, Robin Cousins
USA Michelle Kwan, Paul Wylie, Old school Johnny Weir, Davis and White and many more
etc. etc.

But I have LOVED THE MOST from
Japan --- Ito, Honda, Oda, Arakawa, Suzuki, Takahashi, Hanyu to name a few
and Russia ---- too many to mention them all but here are a few Yagudin, Usova Zhulin, Slutskaya, Gordeeva Grinkov, Fadeev, Petrenko and Baiul who I know are from the Ukraine but represented USSR

Simone411
08-26-2012, 01:39 AM
I don't care where a skater is from. If i like them I like them.

:respec:

Same here! I'm glad we could choose multiples this time. I chose all the countries listed. The list of skaters I like would probably take up a whole page in this thread. :lol:

AndyWarhol
08-26-2012, 04:19 AM
USA, Russian and Japan.

I have a joke with a friend that I think of US Nationals like my own nationals haha.

aftershocks
08-26-2012, 04:41 AM
It truly depends, because country affiliation has nothing to do with who I like -- it's all based on who moves me. I picked Germany in this instance because I am a huge fan of Savchenko/ Szolkowy. Obviously, Japan and Russia are winning in the poll due to the sheer numbers of skaters from those countries who possess amazing talent. Perhaps the numbers are down for USA due to many participating in the poll being from USA (or Canada).

briancoogaert
08-26-2012, 04:31 PM
I like North american's basics more than russian's basics (especially canadians). But about skaters, it depends. For example, I love Polina Korobeynikova, who is not a north american skater.
About the style, canadians again, and german pairs (from Schwarz&Muller, Woetzel&Steuer... to Savchenko&Szolkowy)

invierno
08-26-2012, 04:49 PM
What? You don't have Korea? :P

For me it's Canada.

PeterG
08-26-2012, 07:23 PM
What? You don't have Korea? :P

South Korea, Belgium and Spain did not quality for the long program. :D

SkateBlades17
08-27-2012, 01:21 AM
I don't like a skater based on where they are from at all, I just like who I like. It's nice to hear some other people say the same thing. I've been called unpatriotic because I don't always root for the American skaters (I'm from the US) just because they are American. The country that the most skaters I like are from though is Russia or Ukraine, G&G, G&P, K&O, M&D, N&K, Yagudin, Baiul, Petrenko, etc.

flipforsynchro
08-27-2012, 01:40 AM
I think most of us don't like a skater based on their country either. We just happen to coincidentally like a lot of skaters from a certain country.

ETA: Or we might happen to like a characteristic that a lot of a country's skaters have.

Cherub721
08-27-2012, 01:46 AM
I think most of us don't like a skater based on their country either. We just happen to coincidentally like a lot of skaters from a certain country.

ETA: Or we might happen to like a characteristic that a lot of a country's skaters have.

Yeah, like IMO French skaters tend to be voidy, Italian skaters tend to be emotive, Japanese skaters tend to have pure skating skills, Canadians tend to have CoP ready programs, etc. So one's preferences could favor one country because one prefers a certain style that country has in abundance, while also appreciating a skater from another country who has those qualities (eg, Takahashi is voidy and emotive in addition to having great skating skills).

sk8ingcoach
08-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Russia, Japan and Italy

Susan M
08-28-2012, 02:00 AM
For me, I'd say Russia.

For about my entire skate fan life until a few years ago, my favorite pairs have invariably been Russian. (For the last several years, I have had no favorite pair because they all suck by G&G/M&D standards.) Between 1984 and the end of the 1990s, it was also always the USSR/Russian ice dancers who were my favorites (though Klimova-Ponomarenko alone account for about 8 years of that). Russian/USSR men have also very often been my favorites (Petrenko, Kulik, Yagudin). Interestingly, I have never found any USSR or Russian lady to be much worth watching.

Jaana
08-28-2012, 07:00 PM
I have not been drawn to skaters because they are from a specific country, the country has never mattered. My favourites are from

Great Britain (Torvill & Dean, Curry, R. Cousins), USA, China, Japan, France, Ukraine, Russia, Germany and Switzerland