PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko skipping Grand Prix, wants to defend his European title

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

cocovica
08-24-2012, 08:27 AM
Plushenko: Iíll Defend European Title
Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko will be back to defend his title in Zagreb next year but will skip the Grand Prix season, he told R-Sport in a recent interview, and also discussed his new-found love of golf.
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120823/175393816.html

Does it mean he is not planing to go to Worlds next year?:rolleyes:

misskarne
08-24-2012, 08:34 AM
Plushenko: Iíll Defend European Title
Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko will be back to defend his title in Zagreb next year but will skip the Grand Prix season, he told R-Sport in a recent interview, and also discussed his new-found love of golf.
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120823/175393816.html

What's the big problem if he doesn't? He's got to look after those knees.

So I guess this means we wont see him until Russian Nationals. Hope he stays healthy!

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Plushy has a record of skipping Worlds, and only competing in Nationals and Europeans but look at 2010 Olympics he was still a medal contender ;)

cocovica
08-24-2012, 08:48 AM
What's the big problem if he doesn't? He's got to look after those knees.

So I guess this means we wont see him until Russian Nationals. Hope he stays healthy!
it is not a problem;) i am just a little bit suprised...

caseyedwards
08-24-2012, 09:13 AM
I did not think him not mentioning worlds meant no worlds but now that I read with that in mind it he only says Russian natoinals and Euros are definite. I thought it would be vital to go to worlds. But non worlds winners or even participants in 2009 won the Olympics in 2010. Unless he does COR in 2013 I guess he's just going to avoid all percieved non Euro frontrunners until Sochi.

ali_dorate
08-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Of course he is planning to go to Worlds 2013. Who else could earn 3 entries at Sochi for Russia?

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Of course he is planning to go to Worlds 2013. Who else could earn 3 entries at Sochi for Russia?

Better to give it to headcase Gachinski again :rofl:

caseyedwards
08-24-2012, 09:36 AM

That's another reason why I thought it was likely that he would go. Russia not having three spots would be seen as a major problem. Just because they would not have the max opportunities to for athletes- not even considering that it is very likely that only Plushenko would have a chance to medal. Gachinski has world bronze and Euro silver but did very poorly at 2012 worlds.

Does he concern himself with that? All he needs is one. He can't really trust anyone else to get spots for Sochi though. Russia may have one automatic because they are host.

IceIceBaby
08-24-2012, 10:17 AM
But what does the ISU think about it, if he once again skips the worlds?

yaya124
08-24-2012, 10:32 AM
But what does the ISU think about it, if he once again skips the worlds?

But if he does not apply for competing at WORLDS, why ISU has problem with that?

On the other hand, although he did not mention WORLDS in this news, right after 2012 worlds he did say something like he will go to 2013 Worlds.

Just wait and see how would Artur perform in this season. If he beats Plushenko (though not very likely), then he can go to Worlds for Russia.

millyskate
08-24-2012, 01:49 PM

I hate to start a :argue: about the infamous 3 spots questions but I doubt the Russian fed cares much about 3 spots. In fact, Piseev would probably rather only have 1 spot if he fears the other 2 are likely to cause embarrassment...

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 02:05 PM
I hate to start a :argue: about the infamous 3 spots questions but I doubt the Russian fed cares much about 3 spots. In fact, Piseev would probably rather only have 1 spot if he fears the other 2 are likely to cause embarrassment...

Hey, Voronov and Gachinski can still duke it out for the 2-3 spot :rofl: :P

although these two never had any great accomplishments or medaled high in Big competitions still giving a max 3 entry will still maximize the potential to podium even if the other choices can be a bit headcasey :slinkaway

Jammers
08-24-2012, 02:09 PM
Why would Russia need three spots for Sochi when they are this weak in the Men's division? Says a lot that they are relying on someone who will 31 to carry them.

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 02:18 PM
Why would Russia need three spots for Sochi when they are this weak in the Men's division? Says a lot that they are relying on someone who will 31 to carry them.

Plushenko is still in no doubt their best reliable bullet

but having a max 3 just for the purpose as not to put too much pressure on Plushy by Olympics season, so even though Voronov and Gachinski are both disasters, if Plushy gets 2 spots or maybe 3 spots then the other 2 can still max their purpose even if the two have a longshot of medaling. I really hope they fix this but based on the new Russian mens juniors ( the JGP entries ) the results have been weak so far, so..... :scream: no choice.

misskarne
08-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Gachinski could, if given the chance.

One bad competition does not a career make.

Just wait and see how would Artur perform in this season. If he beats Plushenko (though not very likely), then he can go to Worlds for Russia.

Thankyou. This is always my point. I love Plushy, but he must EARN his spot just like everyone else should.