PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko skipping Grand Prix, wants to defend his European title

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

ks1227
08-26-2012, 06:28 AM
Hey, Voronov and Gachinski can still duke it out for the 2-3 spot :rofl: :P

although these two never had any great accomplishments or medaled high in Big competitions ...
A bronze medal at the World Championships is not medaling high in big competitions? :confused: :rofl:

kwanfan1818
08-26-2012, 06:32 AM
Not to mention a silver medal in a strong field at Euros, and a top five finish in his first Euros?

love_skate2011
08-26-2012, 08:55 AM
A bronze medal at the World Championships is not medaling high in big competitions? :confused: :rofl:

a Fluke medal you mean.
Gachinski never medaled close to any Grand Prix event mind you
and he was a nobody as a junior that came out of nowhere to seniors :shuffle:

least we not forget his Disaster at 2012 Worlds :scream:

misskarne
08-26-2012, 09:00 AM
a Fluke medal you mean.

Seriously, what'd the poor kid ever do to you?

caseyedwards
08-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Coincidentally Gachinski was also bronze medalist at jr worlds. Bronze 2010 jr. Bronze 2011 senior! He made the jr grand prix final but did poorly.

Cyn
08-26-2012, 11:43 AM
But non worlds winners or even participants in 2009 won the Olympics in 2010.

Except for that pesky dude by the name of Lysacek, who WON over Plushenko in Vancouver....or did you purge that from your brain? :saint:

He's also going to miss out on competing with the best Asian and NA skaters, who are his main rivals. Chan in particular looked quite beatable the last two GP seasons, but less so late in the season.

Quite frankly I think this has more to do with it. The last thing his ego (or Mishin's, for that matter) could handle is to get slaughtered by the likes of a Worlds-ready Chan, Takahashi, Abbott (should he get his shit together and skate like he has at Nationals), or Brezhina (same thing as Abbott).

alilou
08-26-2012, 10:12 PM
Artur is more than capable of getting three spots to Sochi. If that fails, he should get the two spots very easily, assuming he is not beset by a raft of problems like last year. I doubt that will happen again.

I can't remember how many men's spots Russia has for 2013 worlds.

If Russia has 2 men going then the two of them have to get placements that add up to no more than 13 - eg 6th and 7th, 5th and 8th, 3rd and 10th etc. So let's say Gachinski skates lights out and the other guys falter and he gets bronze again (honestly I don't think there's any way he'll beat Chan or Takahashi barring illness or injury, and I won't even mention Hanyu or an "on" Brezina or Abbott or Kozuka) then the other Russian guy has to at least place 10th. Mmmm........ Artur more than capable of 3 spots? Not really since it depends on what the other guy does.

If Russia can send only one man to 2013 worlds then he has to win or come second to get 3 spots. Well I don't want to tempt fate or anything, but Autur getting 1st or 2nd at worlds at this point really is a bit of a stretch.

ETA: To get 2 spots if Russia can send only one man he has to finish in the top 10. If there are 2 Russian men their total placements have to add up to 28.

mossop
08-26-2012, 10:44 PM
Evgeni Plushenko, the Golden Tsar is a better bet. Come on, show us your nerves of steel. Don't sit out!:D

Sylvia
08-26-2012, 10:57 PM
I can't remember how many men's spots Russia has for 2013 worlds.
1 spot. Voronov was 17th and Gachinski 18th at 2012 Worlds.

Lacey
08-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow, I had forgotten that.

Ziggy
08-26-2012, 11:26 PM
a Fluke medal you mean.

Placing 3rd at 2010 Junior Worlds and making the Junior Grand Prix Final three times in a row is being 'nobody as a junior'? :huh:

Lara
08-27-2012, 12:05 AM
Seriously.

And in another thread some time ago I added up the Russian men who'd medalled at World Juniors the last 12 years or so. Suffice it to say I was :eek: at how many there were who never reached senior success. Yes, Gachinski bombed last season but just getting a senior World medal at all was pretty major for Russia considering it was the first since Plushenko. I'm not a major fan, but give him that credit and a chance to see if he comes back this season.

Ziggy
08-27-2012, 12:22 AM
Bombed at Worlds but was fantastic at Euros.

He's never been consistent but he's an incredible jumper and I'd never write him off based on one weak event.

caseyedwards
08-27-2012, 12:28 AM
Except for that pesky dude by the name of Lysacek, who WON over Plushenko in Vancouver....or did you purge that from your brain? :saint:

It was not meant to be exclusionary of him or Kim Yu Na or Virtue Moir and I meant Shen/Zhao. They were the only ones who did not compete in 2009 worlds-everyone else did. And it could be a factor that there was no Olympic gold for them and they were competing sometimes from 2006-2010 at the worlds level and they won in 2007. But they also in 2009-2010 did all GP's and GPF and just didn't go to 4CC. All winners but one competed at 2009 worlds. Worlds 2013 like worlds 2009 is really the beginning of the Olympic season not the end of the previous season.

Andrey aka Pushkin
08-27-2012, 08:34 AM
In fairness to Gachinski, he was really good at Euros this year. It's just that Plushenko was better.
No he wasn't :shuffle:

As skeptical as I am about Gachinski, there's no doubt that he was the best at the Euros.
But then again, the judging was a disgrace, and the bronze medal finisher just proves my point.