PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko skipping Grand Prix, wants to defend his European title

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Nan
08-24-2012, 06:30 PM
He's also going to miss out on competing with the best Asian and NA skaters, who are his main rivals.

Maybe that's the idea.

Marco
08-24-2012, 06:43 PM
while Gachinski is probably capable of finishing in the Top Two [at Worlds]

:eek::eek::eek: Who gave you that idea?

Anyways, could someone please refresh on the rules again? Wasn't there a big controversy last year that he didn't have the minimum score to compete at Europeans? If he doesn't go to the GPs again this season, can he compete at Europeans this season? (or did his score from last season get recognized this season...:shuffle:)

Kasey
08-24-2012, 06:48 PM
No I think only 1, he still needs the 2nd to get Host Pick invitation entry

Voronov has Cup of China and NHK trophy.

caseyedwards
08-24-2012, 06:51 PM
ITA with everything you wrote. To me it sounds like his knees are not doing that well, and that worries me. If he does not get the ISU ranking, he won't have a chance to even medal in Sochi. The competition is really tough now. OTOH may be he knows the limitations of his aging body and is trying to give himself the best chance to compete in Sochi.

If he skated early in Sochi like he did in Vancouver maybe he would get more 5's from judges in PCS. He got 5's when he went in as reigning gold medalist. Maybe skating early would mean 3 or 4's given to him.

peibeck
08-24-2012, 06:56 PM
Anyways, could someone please refresh on the rules again? Wasn't there a big controversy last year that he didn't have the minimum score to compete at Europeans? If he doesn't go to the GPs again this season, can he compete at Europeans this season? (or did his score from last season get recognized this season...:shuffle:)

His score from last year's Europeans would meet the requirements to compete without doing the GP.

Vagabond
08-24-2012, 06:57 PM

Gachinski himself. He did win a bronze medal at Worlds in 2011, and his Personal Best is 246.27. It's not inconceivable that he could keep himself together while the Japanese, Czechs, Americans, French, and a certain Spaniard fall to pieces.

It's more likely that he'd finish out of the Top Ten, though. :shuffle:

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 06:58 PM
Darn, so Voronov really has 2 GPs ? :mad:

can he compete at Europeans this season? (or did his score from last season get recognized this season...:shuffle:)

yes, his last European this 2012 are counted

allezfred
08-24-2012, 07:08 PM
In fairness to Gachinski, he was really good at Euros this year. It's just that Plushenko was better.

elif
08-24-2012, 07:52 PM
i don't know why everyone surprised. he don't have assignments if i'm not mistaken.

kwanfan1818
08-24-2012, 08:48 PM
IMO, he needs either to have a conveniently timed injury after Europeans that keeps him out of Worlds or a conveniently timed injury next fall to limit his GP events to one.
If he doesn't go to Worlds, he won't be seeded for GP and obligated to skate two (or turn them down and not do any other comps or shows during the GP season). If he has a Top 24 SB from Euros like this year, he will be guaranteed a spot in the initial selection, but if he really doesn't want to skate, the Russian Fed can withhold his name, and if he really only wants to skate one, the Russian Fed can assign him to RC and convince the other Feds, a la Czisny, not to choose him for a second. (I'm not sure if the Russian Fed simply can turn down a second selection for him.) Or he can withdraw from the GP after being assigned, but that limits his show skating.

He always has the option of getting two automatically as a "come-back" skater if he wants two GPs next season, but a Top 24 will allow him to be selected for a second without using that option, which would happen in a heartbeat if he wanted it.

The reason the Russian Fed might want him to skate at Worlds 2013 is to ensure the most number of spot to have options for the team event in Sochi, in case he has an injury. At this point, if Plushenko skates, the Russian team should be a lock for a medal, at least silver, IMO, although placements scoring helps teams like USA.

Rafter
08-24-2012, 08:52 PM
I'm kind of surprised that Plushenko is skipping the GP with the GPF in Sochi this year. But like people have said, maybe he wants to save his knees.

Eislauffan
08-24-2012, 09:38 PM
I think Plushenko and his coach do not want to risk injuries by skating a full season starting with the Grand Prix. I think they want to focus on a few highlights. Ranking points would be nice, but they obviously don't have priority. Health does, and this is correct. Skating a full season would mean more hard training to be in top shape at each event, because Plushenko would not want to show up at any event being in poor shape. He has enough experience to rely on and can do without the additional exposure.

Earlier this year they told me that they decided not doing the Grand Prix because it would mean he has to be ready early on in the season, if he gets picked for one of the earlier events. He was still considering the Cup of Russia then, but wasn't sure if the ISU would let him skate there if he declined the GP spots during the initial selection. I'm sure he'll do Russian Nationals (which are also held in Sochi, giving him an opportunity to test the rink) and Europeans. I think he would like to do Worlds (he certainly is not afraid of competing against Patrick Chan & Co), but will go for it only if he is in top shape.

rfisher
08-24-2012, 09:47 PM
He and his coaches have one goal in sight. Another World medal is not that goal. I agree that he'd probably like to get one if he thinks it's doable, but it's really not that important. He couldn't care less how many spots Russia has as long as he gets one of them. And, if the other Russian men want to go to Sochi, then they can earn a spot at Worlds. If they don't, it really doesn't matter. Frankly, they need to change Elena Radionova's name to George, cut her hair, teach her a 3A and try to pass her off as a boy. Other than that, all they have is Plushy and I'd save him for the big event if I were his team.

caseyedwards
08-24-2012, 09:57 PM
At this point it has been 7 years since his last worlds experience and if he doesn't go to London that is 10 years since since he completed a worlds. He was at worlds in 2005 but didn't finish for injuries but I think I read about resentment of big names dropping in on big events. You could say he hasn't paid his dues in 10 years in Sochi by not going to a worlds. Is worlds really "paying dues" maybe or maybe not. So he went to the Olympics in 2006 and 2010 but no worlds since 2005 and not a finish since 2004! If it doesn't matter it doesn't matter but I know I read about elite athlete "drop ins" and seeking the big titles.

misskarne
08-24-2012, 10:39 PM
In fairness to Gachinski, he was really good at Euros this year. It's just that Plushenko was better.

In fact, I actually think Gachinski wuzrobbed at Euros. I mean, Plushenko's LP was epic and hard to beat, but Gachinski's lead after the SP should have been bigger.

I'm disturbed at the apparent willingness to throw Gachinski on the scrapheap based on last year's Worlds. I seem to recall a certain pair of Americans didn't exactly do so crash-hot either (both of them with a reputation for head-casing, too!) but no-one's tossing them on the scrapheap.

Did you know, this will only be Artur's third international Senior season? I think he's done quite well so far and with time will only get better...if people will give him a chance. There are a lot of excuses and defenses made of other skaters who are just as if not more head-casey than Artur. I don't see him being given the same liberty on here.

He's not perfect. Nobody is. He's not Plushenko either. I wish people would just give him a chance.

With the exception of Worlds last year, Artur has never finished outside of the top 10 at any of his Senior events. Since his first two GPs, and excluding Worlds again, he has never finished outside the top 5. And he's regularly pitted against some of the strongest skaters in the world. I mean, he copped Skate Canada three seasons in a row. That's just being on a hiding to nothing because he's never going to win there. Chan always will. And the men's field at CoR, even without Plushy now, is still a crazy prospect.

Artur is more than capable of getting three spots to Sochi. If that fails, he should get the two spots very easily, assuming he is not beset by a raft of problems like last year. I doubt that will happen again.