PDA

View Full Version : Plushenko skipping Grand Prix, wants to defend his European title

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Kasey
08-24-2012, 03:51 PM
One bad competition does not a career make.

Nor does one GOOD (senior international) competition...

Jammers
08-24-2012, 03:54 PM
Gachinski wasn't exactly setting the world on fire during the GP season either if i recall.

Susan M
08-24-2012, 04:04 PM
For Plushenko's preferred approach, 2013 Worlds is kind of a lose-lose proposition. If he does poorly, he has damaged his image in the judges eyes and they would do him no favors the Olympic year. If he does reasonably well then he would be stuck doing two GP events next fall and probably the GP final. It's been years since he showed any willingness for that kind of competitive workload.

IMO, he needs either to have a conveniently timed injury after Europeans that keeps him out of Worlds or a conveniently timed injury next fall to limit his GP events to one.

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 04:08 PM
Gachinski wasn't exactly setting the world on fire during the GP season either if i recall.

exactly, and Gachinski has already been given many opportunities already
without that much success other than counting a fluke Worlds medal :shuffle:

Cherub721
08-24-2012, 04:27 PM
Disappointing. With his programs seemingly ready to go, I expected to at least see him snatch up the TBA at CoR.

Doing Nationals and Euros only isn't good planning, IMHO. He is going to miss out on ISU ranking points that will give him a better starting order at the Olympics. He's also going to miss out on competing with the best Asian and NA skaters, who are his main rivals. Chan in particular looked quite beatable the last two GP seasons, but less so late in the season.

I don't think he'll go to Worlds. Russia doesn't need 3 spots. 2 is plenty. And if whoever gets chosen to go to Worlds can't make the top 10, then that skater doesn't get a chance at the Olympics. Seems fair to me. I don't think the fed wants headcases in front of a home crowd in Sochi.

Andrey aka Pushkin
08-24-2012, 04:33 PM
On the positive side - no Pluschenko in Moscow.
On the negative side, it means that some Voronov will replace him.
:scream:

hanca
08-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Doing Nationals and Euros only isn't good planning, IMHO. He is going to miss out on ISU ranking points that will give him a better starting order at the Olympics.

Not having ISU ranking points and starting in the first warm up group didn't prevent the Chinese pair to win Olympics in 2012, and didn't hurt Plushenko in 2010 either. Skaters like him don't need better starting order any more.

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 04:40 PM
^
exactly, just look at how Plushenko's first International event at 2012 euros scores
even he had to do qualifying and didn't hurt his chances of winning Euros. Yuna will probably go to qualifying too
as she plans to only compete in Worlds ?

On the positive side - no Pluschenko in Moscow.
On the negative side, it means that some Voronov will replace him.
:scream:

:soapbox:

Kasey
08-24-2012, 04:41 PM
I think Voronov already has 2 GP events....breathe easier Andrey!! :)

love_skate2011
08-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I think Voronov already has 2 GP events....breathe easier Andrey!! :)

No I think only 1, he still needs the 2nd to get Host Pick invitation entry

Cherub721
08-24-2012, 05:10 PM
Not having ISU ranking points and starting in the first warm up group didn't prevent the Chinese pair to win Olympics in 2012, and didn't hurt Plushenko in 2010 either. Skaters like him don't need better starting order any more.

He's certainly great enough to do well with an early draw, but he lost the Olympics by a very small margin. Who's to say skating a little later in the SP wouldn't have given him the bump necessary to win? I think he should at least do some b-internationals if he's not going to the GP. If resting his injuries are the concern, he could win those events without doing quads, and use them to test his levels/PCS as well as grabbing some ranking points. IMO he should use everything at his disposal to gain every little advantage he can.

ItalianFan
08-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Plushenko: Iíll Defend European Title
Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko will be back to defend his title in Zagreb next year but will skip the Grand Prix season, he told R-Sport in a recent interview, and also discussed his new-found love of golf.
http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120823/175393816.html

Does it mean he is not planing to go to Worlds next year?:rolleyes:

I would wait a bit before writing him out of worlds.I read another site where he said he was going to both eur and wc but skipping gp. I get the impression that he would like to test out his competitiveness against Chan. I certainly don't think that it would be such a great idea to never confront his major rival before Sochi.

Vagabond
08-24-2012, 06:12 PM
What's the big problem if he doesn't? He's got to look after those knees.

So I guess this means we wont see him until Russian Nationals. Hope he stays healthy!

I am a firm believer that skaters should not have to skate in competitions if they don't want to.

The one problem I can see is that results at Worlds will determine how many entries Russia will have at the Olympics. (They are guaranteed one as the host country.) Russia will have only one entry at Worlds, and while Gachinski is probably capable of finishing in the Top Two, he is also capable of finishing out of the Top Ten, which would mean Russia would have only one entry in the Men's competition in Sochi. And, given Plushenko's medical history and the inconsistency of other Russian men, that one man might be someone like Zhan Bush or Artur Arturovich Dmitriev.

Let the chips fall where they may.

caseyedwards
08-24-2012, 06:12 PM
exactly, and Gachinski has already been given many opportunities already
without that much success other than counting a fluke Worlds medal :shuffle:

What about Euros silver over much more favored skaters? GP medalists Fernandez and Brezina.

Disappointing. With his programs seemingly ready to go, I expected to at least see him snatch up the TBA at CoR.

Doing Nationals and Euros only isn't good planning, IMHO. He is going to miss out on ISU ranking points that will give him a better starting order at the Olympics. He's also going to miss out on competing with the best Asian and NA skaters, who are his main rivals. Chan in particular looked quite beatable the last two GP seasons, but less so late in the season.

I don't think he'll go to Worlds. Russia doesn't need 3 spots. 2 is plenty. And if whoever gets chosen to go to Worlds can't make the top 10, then that skater doesn't get a chance at the Olympics. Seems fair to me. I don't think the fed wants headcases in front of a home crowd in Sochi.

I think all federations want 3 spots. When Russia sent Artem Borodulin to Vancouver he didn't have a chance for a medal or anything. Gave him good experience in international competition. Injuries interfered with his skating but doubt anyone would rather Russia didn't have the spot.

Vash01
08-24-2012, 06:19 PM

ITA with everything you wrote. To me it sounds like his knees are not doing that well, and that worries me. If he does not get the ISU ranking, he won't have a chance to even medal in Sochi. The competition is really tough now. OTOH may be he knows the limitations of his aging body and is trying to give himself the best chance to compete in Sochi.