PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Ladies [#5]: All That Glitters Is Not Gold

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Nomad
09-02-2012, 10:47 PM
More importantly, why isn't her free leg straight on the Camel Spin, and why doesn't she simply chack the Biellmann :P

Because she knows it annoys you. :P

Marco
09-03-2012, 02:32 AM

Those things annoy me too :mad:

Triple Butz
09-03-2012, 03:58 AM
More importantly, why isn't her free leg straight on the Camel Spin, and why doesn't she simply chack the Biellmann :P
I couldn't decide which biellmann, if you can even call them as such, was more cringe worthy- Wang's or Hicks'!

pinky166
09-03-2012, 05:34 AM
I couldn't decide which biellmann, if you can even call them as such, was more cringe worthy- Wang's or Hicks'!

Angela's biellmann is not that bad, she just has short legs and her back is not incredibly bendy, so that doesn't help. Courtney's is by far worse, but has actually improved a little bit since before her injury. Ashley Cain's biellmann is yucky too.

flipforsynchro
09-03-2012, 05:49 AM
I haven't watched Angela much, but does she usually go out of control on her biellmann?

skfan
09-03-2012, 06:19 AM
^yes it's happened before. not every time. i can't say i'm the most seasoned observer or her skating, but it seems to me that... maybe 3 times out of 5 there is no centering problem. and even when she does lose centering it is usually less noticeable than at last year's nationals or this year's lake placid JGP LP.

it's happened often enough, though, that it's high time to fix it and quit giving away points. i'd prefer they make it work without resorting to the hair cutter--i am not a fan of the hair cutter spin. wish i could see the beauty in it, and the I-spin too, but sadly i lack this level of enlightenment :D

i would prefer that angela polish up her spins in general, and trade in the multiple catch-foot spin she's done for years for one that looks more aesthetic and better fits her level of flexibility... if it's not possible to address the flexibility without giving up jump stability.

i feel terribly nitpicky writing this. skaters are expected to do so many things well. but if any tweaking will ruin her beautiful layback spin, then please don't change a thing! i love that layback spin. and i like the nice, classic sit spin position too--quite rare nowadays.

ETA angela's bielmann is not especially great but it's not ugly to me--some of the positions that other skaters choose to highlight their flexibility are far more.. hard on the eyes. IMO.

Sylvia
09-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Finlandia Trophy entries were published by the competition organizer today and Mirai Nagasu is on the list as the 1 U.S. lady.

ETA: Rachael Flatt is scheduled to compete at the Skate St. Moritz club competition in Oakland, Calif. on Sunday, Sept. 16 (both short and long programs on the same day).

jlai
09-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Typo on USFSA website. Baga was 5th not 4th at lake Placid

http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=216

olympic
09-03-2012, 07:02 PM

:rofl:

But seriously, I've never gone through a range of totally liking or disliking a relatively unknown skater's program (unknown meaning she is not top-ranked as of now). I'm thrilled by the lift she gets in her jumps which look effortless and she's got 'the look', down to the hair and make-up, to be an ice queen. But then I'm totally :scream: over her leg positions on her spins and some of her choreographic moves (I'll assume the latter has more to do with the fact that we are early in the season).

icellist
09-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Finlandia Trophy entries were published by the competition organizer today and Mirai Nagasu is on the list as the 1 U.S. lady.

:cheer: Here's hoping to Mirai getting 2 Sr B's if she doesn't get 2 GP assignments.
:cheer: And another one hoping that Mirai skates like why know she can and beats Julia Lipnitskaia :EVILLE:

Coco
09-03-2012, 07:03 PM

Yes! I love that competition, thrilled she's going as it usually turns out to be one of the more competitive Senior B's. It will be a good test for her, plus it seems to get a great crowd.

pinky166
09-03-2012, 08:37 PM
Yes! I love that competition, thrilled she's going as it usually turns out to be one of the more competitive Senior B's. It will be a good test for her, plus it seems to get a great crowd.

Yes for sure! Now she also doesn't have to do regionals which gives another PACs lady a chance to advance to sectionals and then Nationals. Still hoping she gets a 2nd GP assignment though..

skfan
09-04-2012, 12:05 AM
Yes for sure! Now she also doesn't have to do regionals which gives another PACs lady a chance to advance to sectionals and then Nationals. Still hoping she gets a 2nd GP assignment though..

i like this. good for mirai, good for the pacific coast ladies! :D

flipforsynchro
09-04-2012, 03:44 AM
^yes it's happened before. not every time. i can't say i'm the most seasoned observer or her skating, but it seems to me that... maybe 3 times out of 5 there is no centering problem. and even when she does lose centering it is usually less noticeable than at last year's nationals or this year's lake placid JGP LP.

it's happened often enough, though, that it's high time to fix it and quit giving away points. i'd prefer they make it work without resorting to the hair cutter--i am not a fan of the hair cutter spin. wish i could see the beauty in it, and the I-spin too, but sadly i lack this level of enlightenment :D

i would prefer that angela polish up her spins in general, and trade in the multiple catch-foot spin she's done for years for one that looks more aesthetic and better fits her level of flexibility... if it's not possible to address the flexibility without giving up jump stability.

i feel terribly nitpicky writing this. skaters are expected to do so many things well. but if any tweaking will ruin her beautiful layback spin, then please don't change a thing! i love that layback spin. and i like the nice, classic sit spin position too--quite rare nowadays.

ETA angela's bielmann is not especially great but it's not ugly to me--some of the positions that other skaters choose to highlight their flexibility are far more.. hard on the eyes. IMO.

Her and Hicks and Cain should ditch the Biellmann. I hate being nitpicky because skaters have SO much that they need to focus on at once, but certain moves should just not be done.

And I love hair cutters, but only if done like Gracie and not like Carolina. Btw how old is Angela?

falling_dance
09-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Btw how old is Angela?

She's 16. Her birthdate is July 30, 1996.